No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

What is it about the last minute of a quarter?

Why do NBA teams seem to score at a frantic, ballistic pace at the end of every quarter? I swear there were like 25 points in the blink of an eye scored in this game (actually, 18 in the last minute 40).

lunch
    lunch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 377

no pressure, shots will be chucked by losing team

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

18 in the last 1:27 of the third quarter tonight between OKC and Philly.

Now 15 the first 5+ minutes of the fourth quarter.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post

You worry too much about this shit. It's human nature to try to score when you see that not much time is remaining. It's all part of the ebbs and flow of the sport.

Plus you always seem to ignore that there's this thing called the bonus that usually sets in at the end of the quarter.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    You worry too much about this shit. It's human nature to try to score when you see that not much time is remaining. It's all part of the ebbs and flow of the sport.

Plus you always seem to ignore that there's this thing called the bonus that usually sets in at the end of the quarter.
    It's not just that. The pace of the game is completely frantic.

And it's not "human nature" to score as much as you can in the last minute. In the college game, teams slow down and look to milk as much clock as possible. In the NBA, teams go from playing lazy and disinterested to acting like their lives depend on scoring at the end of the quarter.

I'm not "worried" about anything -- just something I've observed that's quirky about the NBA these days.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9059

Couldve used that pace at the end of the game...had the over 218

t-wizzle

It's not just that. The pace of the game is completely frantic.

And it's not "human nature" to score as much as you can in the last minute. In the college game, teams slow down and look to milk as much clock as possible. In the NBA, teams go from playing lazy and disinterested to acting like their lives depend on scoring at the end of the quarter.

I'm not "worried" about anything -- just something I've observed that's quirky about the NBA these days.

There's a 35 second shotclock in college. That might have something to do with it. Just a thought.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I see this all the time too. It's not just that teams are trying to go 2 for 1 or are in a little more of a hurry, it seems like they play no defense either.

This very thing drove me to quit playing unders.

Play a first half under and you will see what I mean.

There have been several games in which the teams will score over 10 points in like the final 45 seconds of the first half or if it's the first quarter they will score like 20 in the final two minutes after scoring 30 the first 10 minutes.

gasto
    gasto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4362

Live betting. Big books like BET365 have live betting until last 3 or so minutes of quarter. Imagine guys using calculators in first 4 or so minutes to average things and betting over for first half and full game during in game betting. Teams scored less than 40 total points in 2nd quarter after scoring 69 in 1st qtr

In the last 2 or so minutes , you cant hedge because no more betting on totals or spread is allowed. All you can do is cry.

Look at Miami vs Houston, 37 32 first Quarter. Orig game total around 209 . They were hanging over under for a long time on 5dimes. 69*4 =276. It seems reasonable right to bet over 224 after first quarter. T9hereafter teams struggled to reach 200 points.

Final score 106 to 103. Where is the logic. Harden threw a hail mary to Dwight resulting in a turnover instead of letting Miami Heat foul him. Lebron kind of waster the last 13 seconds and threw a last minute desperation 3 which i dont think he really wanted to make.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

18 points in the last 1:34 tonight:

1:34 41-56 Marco Belinelli makes free throw 1 of 2
    1:34 41-56 Tiago Splitter enters the game for Kawhi Leonard
    1:34 Michael Beasley enters the game for Greg Oden 41-56
    1:34 41-57 Marco Belinelli makes free throw 2 of 2
    1:09 Mario Chalmers makes three point jumper (Dwyane Wade assists) 44-57
    0:54 Mario Chalmers personal foul (Tony Parker draws the foul) 44-57
    0:54 44-58 Tony Parker makes free throw 1 of 2
    0:54 Norris Cole enters the game for Mario Chalmers 44-58
    0:54 44-59 Tony Parker makes free throw 2 of 2
    0:44 Dwyane Wade makes driving dunk (LeBron James assists) 46-59
    0:31 46-59 Tony Parker misses layup
    0:30 Dwyane Wade defensive rebound 46-59
    0:30 48-59 Boris Diaw clear path foul (LeBron James draws the foul)
    0:30 LeBron James makes free throw clear path 1 of 2 47-59
    0:30 LeBron James makes free throw clear path 2 of 2 48-59
    0:30 Ray Allen enters the game for Norris Cole 48-59
    0:09 Michael Beasley makes three point jumper (Ray Allen assists) 51-59
    0:01 51-62 Boris Diaw makes 26-foot three point jumper (Tiago Splitter assists)
    0:00 End of the 2nd Quarter

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I see this all the time too. It's not just that teams are trying to go 2 for 1 or are in a little more of a hurry, it seems like they play no defense either.

This very thing drove me to quit playing unders.

Play a first half under and you will see what I mean.

There have been several games in which the teams will score over 10 points in like the final 45 seconds of the first half or if it's the first quarter they will score like 20 in the final two minutes after scoring 30 the first 10 minutes.
    Exactly. The teams quit playing D altogether. Just stand around.

t-wizzle

You used a horrendous example tonight.

Do you even watch the games? Come on man.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

You used a horrendous example tonight.

Do you even watch the games? Come on man.
    Why is this a "horrendous example"?

t-wizzle

Why is this a "horrendous example"?
    Because look at how many of those points were foul shots. Don't you notice a recurring theme there?

There were also two clear path fouls. Highly unusual.

I don't know how you can disagree with me when I say there is a heightened sense of urgency at the ends of quarters. So often, teams are trying to get that quick 2 for 1. Again, the reason this doesn't happen as much in college is the much longer shotclock.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Because look at how many of those points were foul shots. Don't you notice a recurring theme there?

There were also two clear path fouls. Highly unusual.

I don't know how you can disagree with me when I say there is a heightened sense of urgency at the ends of quarters. So often, teams are trying to get that quick 2 for 1. Again, the reason this doesn't happen as much in college is the much longer shotclock.
    Trying to get a 2 for 1 accounts for a grand total of one extra possession.

Come on, wizzle. You watch the NBA. You really don't notice this?

t-wizzle

I don't think there's anything to it.

Just so we're clear, is your point that teams don't really play defense at the end of a quarter/half?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I don't think there's anything to it.

Just so we're clear, is your point that teams don't really play defense at the end of a quarter/half?
    A lot of times, that's absolutely the case. Not to mention the pace of the game oftentimes changes completely.

t-wizzle

A lot of times, that's absolutely the case. Not to mention the pace of the game oftentimes changes completely.

And you don't think my explanation for the pace changing is a reasonable one?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

And you don't think my explanation for the pace changing is a reasonable one?
    Again, it would make sense if you were talking about a single possession -- not a minute and a half straight of just running, gunning and standing around on D, which is what I often see.

I've been watching the NBA for over 30 years. This is just something that's become commonplace from what I've observed in the last three or four. I don't see what having a shorter shot clock than college ball has to do with it, again, given the fact that in a 2 for 1 situation you're talking about hurrying up and shooting on one single, isolated possession.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

18 in the last 2:17 between OKC and PHO. Not that there's been much D in this game anyway, but the players were literally just standing around late in the second quarter of this one:

2:17 58-51 P.J. Tucker makes free throw 1 of 2
    2:17 58-52 P.J. Tucker makes free throw 2 of 2
    2:02 Caron Butler makes 26-foot three point jumper (Kevin Durant assists) 61-52
    1:46 61-52 Channing Frye misses 25-foot three point jumper
    1:44 Russell Westbrook defensive rebound 61-52
    1:42 Russell Westbrook double dribble turnover 61-52
    1:31 Russell Westbrook personal foul (Channing Frye draws the foul) 61-52
    1:31 61-53 Channing Frye makes free throw 1 of 2
    1:31 61-54 Channing Frye makes free throw 2 of 2
    1:12 Kevin Durant makes driving layup 63-54
    0:51 63-56 P.J. Tucker makes layup (Channing Frye assists)
    0:39 Russell Westbrook misses 26-foot three point jumper 63-56
    0:37 63-56 Marcus Morris defensive rebound
    0:31 63-59 Gerald Green makes 26-foot three point jumper (Goran Dragic assists)
    0:15 Russell Westbrook makes driving layup 65-59
    0:01 65-59 Goran Dragic misses 25-foot three point jumper
    0:00 65-59 Channing Frye offensive rebound
    0:00 65-61 Channing Frye makes two point shot
    0:00 End of the 2nd Quarter

t-wizzle

Again, it would make sense if you were talking about a single possession -- not a minute and a half straight of just running, gunning and standing around on D, which is what I often see.

I've been watching the NBA for over 30 years. This is just something that's become commonplace from what I've observed in the last three or four. I don't see what having a shorter shot clock than college ball has to do with it, again, given the fact that in a 2 for 1 situation you're talking about hurrying up and shooting on one single, isolated possession.

It goes back to that sense of urgency thing. To me that is very real.

And how does the shot clock not have anything to do with it if you have a team milk the last 35 seconds?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

It goes back to that sense of urgency thing. To me that is very real.

And how does the shot clock not have anything to do with it if you have a team milk the last 35 seconds?
    So there's a sense of urgency to finish quickly and strong and get as many shots up as possible in the NBA, but not in college? Just because the shot clock is 11 seconds longer? How does that explain the rest of the 1-2 minutes?

t-wizzle

So there's a sense of urgency to finish quickly and strong and get as many shots up as possible in the NBA, but not in college? Just because the shot clock is 11 seconds longer? How does that explain the rest of the 1-2 minutes?

The college game is generally more prone to running a system offense whereas the NBA is more built on taking advantage of matchups.

Forgetting the last minute of the half, how often do you see college teams run their shotclock all the way down? It happens allllllll the time, especially in a motion offense. Bilas did a thing on this a couple weeks ago, advocating for a 24 second shotclock in college because even though there's a 35 second shotclock, teams still wind it all the way down to basically no time. The game is just so much different in college. And the reason for this is simple: The nba is loaded with guys who can take their man and make a move. The college game usually only has a guy or two on each team who is capable of doing this.

t-wizzle

Let me know if you follow because I can try to expand. I can see how my response could be misunderstood.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

The college game is generally more prone to running a system offense whereas the NBA is more built on taking advantage of matchups.

Forgetting the last minute of the half, how often do you see college teams run their shotclock all the way down? It happens allllllll the time, especially in a motion offense. Bilas did a thing on this a couple weeks ago, advocating for a 24 second shotclock in college because even though there's a 35 second shotclock, teams still wind it all the way down to basically no time. The game is just so much different in college. And the reason for this is simple: The nba is loaded with guys who can take their man and make a move. The college game usually only has a guy or two on each team who is capable of doing this.
    I understand what you mean re: the difference between college and pro ball, but it still doesn't explain how/why two teams basically walk the ball up the court for 10-11 minutes of a quarter sometimes, only to go absolutely nuts offensively in the last 1-2.

t-wizzle

I understand what you mean re: the difference between college and pro ball, but it still doesn't explain how/why two teams basically walk the ball up the court for 10-11 minutes of a quarter sometimes, only to go absolutely nuts offensively in the last 1-2.

I think you are exaggerating saying they walk the ball up.

Here's another thought: What about when a team is trailing. They want to try and make up a deficit to a more manageable number going into a half.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I think you are exaggerating saying they walk the ball up.

Here's another thought: What about when a team is trailing. They want to try and make up a deficit to a more manageable number going into a half.
    I am? Because that's what I'm seeing a lot of in this MIA/SA game tonight, which has slowed to a snail's pace suddenly in the 2H.

Again, I get that if it was just one team. It's never just one team frantically running. And again, wouldn't the same concept then apply to college ball for the team that's trailing?

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I am? Because that's what I'm seeing a lot of in this MIA/SA game tonight, which has slowed to a snail's pace suddenly in the 2H.

Again, I get that if it was just one team. It's never just one team frantically running. And again, wouldn't the same concept then apply to college ball for the team that's trailing?
    I don't think T-Wizzle plays many totals.

Somehow at the end of the quarter or half it always gravitates to the number.

Example A: Teams score 32 points in quarter 1 and then 71 in quarter 2...with like 23 of those coming in the final three minutes.

Example B: Teams score 66 in the first quarter and then like 33 in the second quarter to miss the over by .5. Somehow the teams only score 4 points the last three minutes.

I've literally lost unders when leading by 15 points with a little under two minutes left in the half. Hell, I've even lost first half unders when I've been up 9 points with 40 seconds. Teams literally hurry up court as fast as they can, get a layup, and then it's down the court the other way in three seconds for another uncontested layup or there will be like three players wide open at the three point line.

Again, I understand the 2 for 1 logic, but often times in a 2 for 1 scenario there still ends up being like 5-6 more possessions even when there is only like 37 seconds left in the half.

I know people are probably sick of my examples but there was a Celtic last game that was going at a snails pace and then the teams suddenly scored 36 points in the final 4:20 of the first half to push it over by a point.

Just never bet an under in this league.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 03-07-14 at 12:02 AM.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

1:21 DeMarre Carroll makes 25-foot three point jumper (Elton Brand assists) 53-52
    1:08 53-54 DeAndre Jordan makes 3-foot two point shot (Blake Griffin assists)
    0:44 Paul Millsap makes 26-foot three point jumper (Jeff Teague assists) 56-54
    0:33 56-57 Matt Barnes makes three point jumper (Chris Paul assists)
    0:20 Jeff Teague makes 17-foot jumper 58-57

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

BTW, first half total in this game? You guessed it: 113.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

I'm guessing you loved this one

0:27 James Harden makes free throw 1 of 2 18-21
    0:27 James Harden misses free throw 2 of 2 18-21
    0:25 18-21 Bulls defensive team rebound
    0:05 18-23 Jimmy Butler makes driving layup (D.J. Augustin assists)
    0:02 20-23 Jimmy Butler shooting foul (Jeremy Lin draws the foul)
    0:02 Jeremy Lin makes free throw 1 of 2 20-23
    0:02 Jeremy Lin makes free throw 2 of 2 20-23
    0:00 Francisco Garcia shooting foul (Jimmy Butler draws the foul) 20-23
    0:00 20-24 Jimmy Butler makes free throw 1 of 2
    0:00 20-25 Jimmy Butler makes free throw 2 of 2

7 points in the last 27 seconds

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

1:21 DeMarre Carroll makes 25-foot three point jumper (Elton Brand assists) 53-52
    1:08 53-54 DeAndre Jordan makes 3-foot two point shot (Blake Griffin assists)
    0:44 Paul Millsap makes 26-foot three point jumper (Jeff Teague assists) 56-54
    0:33 56-57 Matt Barnes makes three point jumper (Chris Paul assists)
    0:20 Jeff Teague makes 17-foot jumper 58-57
    Classic.

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

1:30 39-53 Manu Ginobili misses layup
    1:29 39-53 Tiago Splitter offensive rebound
    1:29 39-53 Tiago Splitter offensive Charge (Nicolas Batum draws the foul)
    1:29 39-53 Tiago Splitter turnover
    1:29 Wesley Matthews enters the game for Dorell Wright 39-53
    1:29 39-53 Boris Diaw enters the game for Tiago Splitter
    1:22 39-53 Manu Ginobili personal foul (Damian Lillard draws the foul)
    1:22 Damian Lillard makes free throw 1 of 2 40-53
    1:22 Damian Lillard misses free throw 2 of 2 40-53
    1:21 40-53 Tim Duncan defensive rebound
    1:07 40-53 Manu Ginobili misses layup
    1:07 Nicolas Batum defensive rebound 40-53
    0:57 40-53 Manu Ginobili personal foul (Wesley Matthews draws the foul)
    0:57 Wesley Matthews misses free throw 1 of 2 40-53
    0:57 Trail Blazers offensive team rebound 40-53
    0:57 Earl Watson enters the game for Damian Lillard 40-53
    0:57 Wesley Matthews misses free throw 2 of 2 40-53
    0:57 40-53 Tim Duncan defensive rebound
    0:36 40-53 Tony Parker misses 11-foot two point jumper
    0:35 Nicolas Batum defensive rebound 40-53
    0:19 LaMarcus Aldridge misses 4-foot jumper 40-53
    0:18 40-53 Kawhi Leonard defensive rebound
    0:05 Nicolas Batum personal take foul (Manu Ginobili draws the foul) 40-53
    0:05 Spurs 20 Sec. timeout
    0:05 40-53 Danny Green enters the game for Kawhi Leonard
    0:00 40-56 Boris Diaw makes three point jumper (Tony Parker assists)

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

22 points in the last 2:56 of the first half tonight. Suddenly, game is almost exactly on pace again.

Keep the final score of this one in mind, given the huge total drop. Could see a magic middle here....

PapaDBets
    PapaDBets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Check out this gem, NC. Pacers/Bucks from late-February. I was on the under 196. Check out the total with 1:12 left and how many points were scored in the final 52 seconds... Unreal (posted from my phone so sorry if the play-by-play is hard to read).

1:12.0 K. Middleton misses 2-pt shot from 2 ft 85-92
    1:11.0 85-92 Defensive rebound by R. Hibbert
    0:52.0 85-94 +2 R. Hibbert makes 2-pt shot from 11 ft
    0:52.0 85-94 Shooting foul by Z. Pachulia (drawn by R. Hibbert)
    0:52.0 85-94 R. Hibbert misses free throw 1 of 1
    0:51.0 Defensive rebound by E. Ilyasova 85-94
    0:51.0 Milwaukee full timeout 85-94
    0:51.0 85-94 Personal foul by L. Stephenson
    0:45.0 B. Knight makes 3-pt shot from 26 ft (assist by R. Sessions) +3 88-94
    0:45.0 88-94 Indiana full timeout
    0:26.0 88-97 +3 L. Stephenson makes 3-pt shot from 24 ft (assist by D. West)
    0:16.0 K. Middleton makes 3-pt shot from 25 ft (assist by B. Knight) +3 91-97
    0:16.0 91-97 E. Turner enters the game for R. Hibbert
    0:15.0 Personal take foul by K. Middleton 91-97
    0:15.0 91-98 +1 E. Turner makes free throw 1 of 2
    0:15.0 91-99 +1 E. Turner makes free throw 2 of 2
    0:15.0 Milwaukee full timeout 91-99
    0:09.0 E. Ilyasova makes 3-pt shot from 27 ft (assist by B. Knight) +3 94-99
    0:07.0 94-101 +2 L. Stephenson makes 2-pt shot from 2 ft (assist by D. West)
    0:02.0 Z. Pachulia misses 2-pt shot from 16 ft 94-101
    0:00.0 Offensive rebound by E. Ilyasova 94-101
    0:00.0 E. Ilyasova misses 2-pt shot from 2 ft 94-101
    0:00.0 Offensive rebound by K. Middleton 94-101
    0:00.0 K. Middleton makes 2-pt shot at rim +2 96-101
    0:00.0 End of 4th quarter

12 Last