Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Blake Griffin for Carmelo Anthony?

That has to be a joke. I'd stop being a Clipper fan if that went down.

With the looming possibility of Carmelo Anthony departing New York as a free agent this summer, New York Knicks officials have discussed proposing a trade for the Los Angeles Clippers' Blake Griffin, according to league sources.

Griffin
    Anthony
    Anthony

Sources say Clippers management has also had internal discussions about such a deal but that the clubs have not yet spoken to one another about a potential trade.

As of now, neither team is certain of whether it would make an Anthony-for-Griffin trade, the sources said.

The Clippers appear to be the more apprehensive of the two teams because Griffin is having a terrific year, especially of late. The 24-year-old power forward has averaged 26 points and nearly 11 rebounds over his last 10 games.

One source close to the situation said the Clippers' latest internal discussion ended in favor of keeping Griffin. New York's top priority appears to be resigning Anthony to a long-term deal this offseason. But with the Knicks struggling badly and Anthony refusing to give assurances that he will return, the Knicks understand they must at least consider other options.

The Clippers are on the Knicks' radar because it is an open secret throughout the league that Anthony and the Clippers star point guard, Chris Paul, have wanted to play together since 2010. That sentiment among the two players has not changed, according to sources.

If the Knicks decide to explore a trade for Anthony, he will have plenty of say as to where he goes because of his impending free agency. No club will offer anything of value for him without knowing he will re-sign with it this summer.

With Paul having recently signed a five-year, $107 million deal with the Clippers, Anthony, who has a home in Los Angeles, would almost certainly re-sign with the Clippers.
    espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10233011/carmelo-anthony-blake-griffin-proposal-mulled

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

no chance it happens but this would be huge for the Clippers. Melo would be a beast with Paul as his point guard. Anthony isn't leaving New York though I am almost he will resign with the Knicks

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    no chance it happens but this would be huge for the Clippers. Melo would be a beast with Paul as his point guard. Anthony isn't leaving New York though I am almost he will resign with the Knicks
    Are you crazy?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Big disaster for the clippers Anthony is a huge loser

Clippers doing well right now they don't need to change anything

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Melo one of the best scorers in the league, would be a great duo with Paul. Griffin still lacking a post game, bad free throw percentage and its not like the Clippers have a chance at making a playoff run with Griffin.

Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

Haha...comical... and I would hope Sterling could never be that foolish...Rivers would strangle Melo for his lack of effort on the defensive end alone..never mind the 4th quarter bricks...Griffin is becoming a man before our very eyes...his career is going forward...Melo has reached his peak....I'd rather him go to the Lakers and break the single season record for miss field goals with Kobe next year....

Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

Melo one of the best scorers in the league, would be a great duo with Paul. Griffin still lacking a post game, bad free throw percentage and its not like the Clippers have a chance at making a playoff run with Griffin.
    Clearly you are not watching the games...Griffin has been destroying people in the post despite the Refs and Ref baiters who are trying to foul him out....Clippers are the leagues sixth best offense...Defense is their main problem...How does Melo who hasn't played defense since he left Syracuse solve that equation?

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have had season tickets to clips for 8 years. This trade will never ever ever happen. Clips management and ownership LOVE Blake as much as Chris. Blake improving a TON this year and Five year age difference is also a big factor.

Menses posts spot on.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

LOL at anyone who wouldn't take Melo for Griffin.

JAnthony
    JAnthony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    LOL at anyone who wouldn't take Melo for Griffin.
    Melo is really having a career year this season, tough to watch him swamping with Knicks

Ratzz
    Ratzz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Carmelo is garbage.. volume shooter

bad for a team

interested in scoring titles. that's it

1-9 in playoff series

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Knicks would make out like bandits with this deal. Melo is a great scorer but that's it. No defense, no leadership. Brings little to the table.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Knicks would make out like bandits with this deal. Melo is a great scorer but that's it. No defense, no leadership. Brings little to the table.
    I like this argument, yet Griffin and Melo have near equal career stats in steals and blocks. What exactly does Griffin do better besides get on Sportscenter?

James D

Blake lifetime shoots 52.8% never below 50.6% plays defense, team ball, is improving, and is in year three.
    Carmelo lifetime shoots 45.5% never above 49.2% plays no defense or team ball and is in year ten.

I like Carmelo but anyone who thinks this is a no brainier for the clippers is insane.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    Blake lifetime shoots 52.8% never below 50.6% plays defense, team ball, is improving, and is in year three.
    Carmelo lifetime shoots 45.5% never above 49.2% plays no defense or team ball and is in year ten.

I like Carmelo but anyone who thinks this is a no brainier for the clippers is insane.
    I like the stats, at least it shows something. Though many of Griffin's FGA are dunks compared to isolation plays for Melo.

JAnthony

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    His rebounding is up, TO - down.

James D

I like the stats, at least it shows something. Though many of Griffin's FGA are dunks compared to isolation plays for Melo.

I agree cuse that Melo creates his own shot in NBA which is huge, and rare. But Blake is in year three. He is still learning. Look at Blake and melo first two years

Blake
    year 1 22.5 PPG 50.6% fg pct
    year 2. 20.7 PPG 54.9% fg pct

Melo
    year 1 21.0 PPG 42.6% fg pct
    year 2. 20.8 PPG 43.1% fg pct

Of course melo is a better offensive weapon but let's not ignore Blake gets 20+ a game and over 50% from the field every single year. He is also menacing in the paint, a good passer, and five years younger.

this is a moot point because clips never make deal

JAnthony

It would be a stupid trade from NYK stand point as well, since Griffin need a good point-guard to be of any use. New York's offense is clueless, they can't move the ball, they can't find open players. If it was not for the Melo creating his own shots, NYK would be in deep s**t (like they are not right now) offensively.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    I agree cuse that Melo creates his own shot in NBA which is huge, and rare. But Blake is in year three. He is still learning. Look at Blake and melo first two years

Blake
    year 1 22.5 PPG 50.6% fg pct
    year 2. 20.7 PPG 54.9% fg pct

Melo
    year 1 21.0 PPG 42.6% fg pct
    year 2. 20.8 PPG 43.1% fg pct

Of course melo is a better offensive weapon but let's not ignore Blake gets 20+ a game and over 50% from the field every single year. He is also menacing in the paint, a good passer, and five years younger.

this is a moot point because clips never make deal
    Good points. I just see Melo as a better 3 point shooter, better mid-range shooter, better FT shooter, better isolation player and pretty equal in rebounding and defense. That leaves me to wonder, what really does Griffin do better? Does he pass better, I suppose maybe. They have similar assists numbers, .5 more for Griffin on average over their careers. Melo gets so much hate but he's putting up 26/9/3 on a team full of role players. Griffin has Paul setting him up every night and Jordan to help him bang down low. The Clippers have way better shooters as well. I think the hate for Melo clouds peoples judgement but he was still the 2nd leading scorer on the Olympic team and is an elite player in the NBA.
    Last edited by Cuse0323; 01-04-14 at 01:41 AM.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Neither of these guys can be the go to on a championship team.

Blake might even have to be almost a 3rd option (a la Chris Bosh) if he wants a title.

Carmelo isn't efficient enough, and Blake's game deteriorates far too much when the pace slows down and guys body up more in the post-season.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post

Blake might even have to be almost a 3rd option (a la Chris Bosh) if he wants a title.

Carmelo isn't efficient enough, and Blake's game deteriorates far too much when the pace slows down and guys body up more in the post-season.
    That's the problem with Melo, efficiency. I think with a PG like Paul that could all change. Throughout his career, the play for Melo has been clear out and let me work. With Paul and a good coach, that could change. I would love to see it but one can dream.

James D

Quote Originally Posted by JAnthony View Post
    It would be a stupid trade from NYK stand point as well, since Griffin need a good point-guard to be of any use. .

I disagree completely. Blake's rookie year with a worthless out of shape baron Davis averaging 7.0 APG at the PG position averaged 22.5 and shot 50.6 %. Blake can score in the post and is improving his mid range jumper big time. He also runs the floor, and believe me baron didn't run to anything but the buffet table that season.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Night shift JJ is always way off.
    Anthony isn't a loser, he's just never had a good complimentary player with him.
    He won 50 games every single year with the Nuggets pretty much. Knicks had an unbelievable turnaround last year and broke 50 wins for the first time in 15 years.
    Playoffs come and they lock down harder on the star and you have to rely on your supporting cast more, he has never had that luxury.

Best post in this thread and he knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JAnthony View Post

Melo is really having a career year this season, tough to watch him swamping with Knicks
    He's had way better seasons than this one, not even close.
    Don't really know what you've been watching. But I do like he's rebounding more this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
    Carmelo is garbage.. volume shooter

bad for a team

interested in scoring titles. that's it

1-9 in playoff series
    Still one of THE best scorers in the NBA sir. His volume stays high not only because he can score, but because he lacks offensive weapons around him as well.

If Melo goes to the Clippers they are instant contenders with Paul.
    They aren't beating the Spurs, Heat, or Thunder in a series with Griffin/Paul.
    They have the supporting cast to get it done.
    Griffin may be good looking at numbers, but his offensive skills are virtually non-existent. With his vertical he should be getting way more rebounds per game as well, and he gets a little more hype than he should because of Sportscenter.
    Low FT%, no jumper, no handle.
    Clippers would most likely do that trade if it ever got into serious discussion, but I think the Knicks are just trying to create some media traffic for now in case they think Melo isn't going to re-sign, but he will in all likelihood.

James D

Good points. I just see Melo as a better 3 point shooter, better mid-range shooter, better FT shooter, better isolation player and pretty equal in rebounding and defense. That leaves me to wonder, what really does Griffin do better? Does he pass better, I suppose maybe. .
    Melo is a better 3pt shooter, FT and mid range shooter, he is also a great isolation scorer. Despite all that Blake's worse shooting year is 50.6% and Melos best is 49.2 %. Maybe melo needs to be a little more selective. He is a ten year pro and Blake is in year three yet the shooting numbers annually and lifetime greatly favor Blake. Blake is also much better on the block and is a far better defender.

I don't hate melo at all I just wouldn't trade an all-star in year three for a guy who has been the focal point of every team he has been on and is 2-9 in playoff series in his 10 year career. In many of those series they had home court and couldn't get it done.

I want Blake's future far more then Carmelo's past.
    Last edited by James D; 01-04-14 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Typo

James D

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post

Jesus TTO Blake is in year three, let's not write his bio just yet. A ton of guys like michael Jordan didn't win a single playoff series till year four. Heck Jordan's teams were 1-9 in his first three seasons in the playoffs and people used to say he was a ball hog that couldn't win in a team setting.

Not comparing blake to MJ obviously I am just saying the guy is still in the early years of his career. Melo is not.

James D

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    Night shift JJ is always way off.
    Anthony isn't a loser, he's just never had a good complimentary player with him.
    He won 50 games every single year with the Nuggets pretty much.

Clippers would most likely do that trade if it ever got into serious discussion, but I think the Knicks are just trying to create some media traffic for now in case they think Melo isn't going to re-sign, but he will in all likelihood.
    You say anthony had no good players around him and won 50+ a year. How does that makes sense?

Clips will never ever ever make that trade Benny.

JAnthony

He's had way better seasons than this one, not even close.
    Don't really know what you've been watching. But I do like he's rebounding more this year.

Ok, maybe it was a bit of an over-statement, but he is on the path to make this a year of his career. His rebounding is record high so far, TO - record-low so far, Blocks - UP and almost all of his other stats are above his career average.
    Last edited by JAnthony; 01-04-14 at 02:19 AM.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

this trade makes neither clippers or knicks contenders now or down the line for a title. but if you are the knicks and melo is not committing to the future of your team, you must trade him.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

This would not be good for the Clips. Unfortunately, I have to disagree with one or two people who's opinions I do respect on this.

While it would appear that Carmelo has no talent around him in New York, last year he actually had some players that played much better than they had historically, they snuck up on other teams that weren't expecting it, and they played in the East. This year the team should not be any worse than they were last year, except that JR Smith forgot how to ball in the playoffs and he hasn't remembered this year.

What has been the biggest difference this year? People were ready for them this year, they have had a few injuries that they haven't played through and more than anything I believe it is their lack of leadership. Carmelo and everyone else got excited last year.....they were on a roll, high confidence....this year they got off to a rough start and Carmelo is not a guy that could lead them out of that.

Want to know how I feel about him? This should say it all.....

'Melo' is a rich man's Rudy Gay.

Want to know something else? Anthony, while avoiding huge injuries for the better part of his career, does not have a good NBA body. This is not a guy that will play well into his mid-thirties. He has a ton of miles on his frame and before long we will start to hear about him breaking down.

Beyond all of that, Griffin has the ability to get better. Last year I watched him all the time and kept thinking 'do this man, do that man', but this year he is doing those little things. He is a hard worker, well liked, determined AND most importantly in this all is that he is a team guy.

The Clips may never get it done with Griffin (even though I am not willing to say that just yet) and they may need another piece...but if they made a move like this in two years....maybe three, they will be back to being an insignificant franchise. I cannot imagine a worse scenario.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13389

This would be a crazy trade probably the biggest I have seen

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what starting this rumor does for the Knicks.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Skippy is right about Carmello. Well done, Skippy.

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post

'Melo' is a rich man's Rudy Gay.
    He is.

lesterdymond
    lesterdymond's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

I'd feel bad for Blake, never thought I would say that. Knicks are pathetic. He would waste his prime years getting injured a Knick and fighting off the media.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what starting this rumor does for the Knicks.
    Gotta generate the buzz they are looking to dump him or sign-n-trade him.
    Perfect strategy going after a big name like Griffin.
    Start high (Even though Blake is hugely overrated), settle for a little less in the end.
    The way the Knicks are in shambles right now, I would hover him over the lottery teams and see who bites.
    Knicks need to dismantle that team and rebuild from the bottom up if they don't recover this year. They haven't had any first round picks in 100 fkn years thanks to that little flame Isiah Thomas.

12 Last