Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

What about Drazen Petrovic?

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    What about Drazen Petrovic?

Wow seaweed. Did not think you had Petrovic in you, well done.
    Improved every year of career and could have probably been greatest European player of all time if not for the car accident that killed him

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24749

Lebron is just so versatile, I don't see how you can't put him in the top 5. The accomplishments will inevitably continue as long as he plays with competent teammates, so there's no point in delaying judgment on account of the "well not yet" position. We already know what he's capable of, his legacy will take care of itself.

Jordan was a better pure scorer, but Lebron is a more willing and able passer, and can literally guard any position on the floor. He can pretty much play the 1-4 spot as well. You can build a team around Lebron easier due to his versatility and he'll instantly make up for a lot of shortcomings. Just look at that crappy Cavs team he took to the finals. Jordan is a lot like many other volume scorers in the NBA, in that they don't necessarily catapult their team to greatness until they get the right pieces around them.
    Points Awarded:

SharkAA gave Eddy Munny 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by eddy munny View Post
    lebron is just so versatile, i don't see how you can't put him in the top 5. The accomplishments will inevitably continue as long as he plays with competent teammates, so there's no point in delaying judgment on account of the "well not yet" position. We already know what he's capable of, his legacy will take care of itself.

Jordan was a better pure scorer, but lebron is a more willing and able passer, and can literally guard any position on the floor. He can pretty much play the 1-4 spot as well. You can build a team around lebron easier due to his versatility and he'll instantly make up for a lot of shortcomings. Just look at that crappy cavs team he took to the finals. Jordan is a lot like many other volume scorers in the nba, in that they don't necessarily catapult their team to greatness until they get the right pieces around them.
    ***************** this is 100 percent true

nyplayer33

I DIDN'T ASK IF JORDAN is better then lebron, im asking if right now h'es top 5 of all time..it appears moreso that he is.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

LBJ is already top 10 all time, and steadily moving up the list. If anyone is ahead of him today it is only a handful of players all time. Maybe Kareem(scoring and titles are hard to deny), MJ(Titles and scoring titles are too much to overcome), Magic(titles and assists, plus career cut short, may have whipped MJ in a finals if HIV hadn't creeped in, then we could move him up higher), Big O(the original triple double man, unduplicatable stats, better stats than ANYBODY who has ever dribbled a basketball, best high school players can't average a triple double for a season), and Wilt(minutes played, lack of fouling out of a game, highest regular season scoring average can't be topped by best high schoolers, most points in an NBA season multiple times and its not even a close second, led league in assist too, lost in finals just about every year, and just was a modern marvel of a physical specimen with a pea brain). LBJ only has to keep doing what he has been doing another 4-5 years and he passes Magic and Big O, 6-7 more seasons and he passes Wilt, and 9-10 more seasons and he passes Kareem and MJ with points and titles.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 01-04-14 at 06:06 AM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Magic and Bird played with GREAT PLAYERS

Never forget this

Magic could not shine Lebrons shoes

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Top 5?
    Jordan
    Magic
    Dr J
    Wilt the Stilt
    Bird
    Olajuwon
    Jabbar

That's my top 7. If I was picking a team I would take Lebron over Dr J but a dead heat with Magic. I would say tied for 5th greatest.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

. . .
    Last edited by face; 01-04-14 at 07:32 AM. Reason: tried to post youtube video but copyright problem

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Lebron is just so versatile, I don't see how you can't put him in the top 5. The accomplishments will inevitably continue as long as he plays with competent teammates, so there's no point in delaying judgment on account of the "well not yet" position. We already know what he's capable of, his legacy will take care of itself.

Jordan was a better pure scorer, but Lebron is a more willing and able passer, and can literally guard any position on the floor. He can pretty much play the 1-4 spot as well. You can build a team around Lebron easier due to his versatility and he'll instantly make up for a lot of shortcomings. Just look at that crappy Cavs team he took to the finals. Jordan is a lot like many other volume scorers in the NBA, in that they don't necessarily catapult their team to greatness until they get the right pieces around them.
    The tough part is when you throw the centers into it.

Is James better than Karem, Wilt or Olajuwon? Maybe even The Admiral and Shack in their brief primes. Those guys were dominate no matter who their team mates were. You couldnt stop them and you couldnt get past them. If you take out centers then James is easily top 3.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    Guys who post ITT thread and put crazy things like shaq in top 5 are showing their age.

Agree about hakeem the dream being on par with shaq, he had insane footwork, but neither is in the top ten never mind top 5 all time.
    People that don't know how dominant Shaq was show their age. Do you just remember him playing for the Cavs and Celtics? Did you miss the rest of his career? He's 3rd in Player Efficiency Rating all-time; Top 10 in points & blocks, 15th in rebounds.... oh but he didn't have Hakeem's footwork though

Catch77
    Catch77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1804

Hes already top 7. One or two more rings and he's easily top 2. I know its sacriligious but i think he ends up Number 1. I say that as someone who grew up as a elementary and middle school student idolizing MJ.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

MJ
    Kareem
    Magic
    Bird
    LeBron
    Oscar
    Wilt
    Kobe
    The Dream
    Russell
    Shaq

That is basically the order I would personally rank. Those guys can be in any order really and it would be acceptable.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why does Lebron need more rings to be considered the best or higher on some of your lists?? Rings don't make him more talented or a better player or more dominant, etc.......He will still be the same player with 4 or 5 rings

I understand when it's a very young player and he has to prove himself but Lebron already has multiple rings and MVP's and we pretty much see what he is

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Why does Lebron need more rings to be considered the best or higher on some of your lists?? Rings don't make him more talented or a better player or more dominant, etc.......He will still be the same player with 4 or 5 rings

I understand when it's a very young player and he has to prove himself but Lebron already has multiple rings and MVP's and we pretty much see what he is
    I doubt you are responding to my post, but LeBron will never get above MJ, Kareem, Magic or Bird. Not on my list anyway.

As for rings, Russell is included in these conversations due to his rings - almost exclusively.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    I doubt you are responding to my post, but LeBron will never get above MJ, Kareem, Magic or Bird. Not on my list anyway.

As for rings, Russell is included in these conversations due to his rings - almost exclusively.
    I wasn't responding to you.....just in general

Is it just because you hate Lebron as a person? I really don't understand how you can dismiss that Lebron will never be a better player than Magic or Bird....Are they really that much better that Lebron will NEVER overtake them?

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    I wasn't responding to you.....just in general

Is it just because you hate Lebron as a person? I really don't understand how you can dismiss that Lebron will never be a better player than Magic or Bird....Are they really that much better that Lebron will NEVER overtake them?
    My original premise is that LeBron is in that tier of players that where you rank them in that tier is inconsequential.

Any rankings of top 10-15 all time players is 100% subjective once you get to that point. As such, LeBron can never nor will he ever be above the guys I mentioned above him.

If someone ranks LeBron number 1, I will personally scoff at it, but it isn't ridiculous.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Obviously, I would rank Bird #1.

(j/k. White boy joke)

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    My original premise is that LeBron is in that tier of players that where you rank them in that tier is inconsequential.

Any rankings of top 10-15 all time players is 100% subjective once you get to that point. As such, LeBron can never nor will he ever be above the guys I mentioned above him.

If someone ranks LeBron number 1, I will personally scoff at it, but it isn't ridiculous.
    Fair enough

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24749

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    The tough part is when you throw the centers into it.

Is James better than Karem, Wilt or Olajuwon? Maybe even The Admiral and Shack in their brief primes. Those guys were dominate no matter who their team mates were. You couldnt stop them and you couldnt get past them. If you take out centers then James is easily top 3.
    James easily gets the nod over these guys. Chamberlain was before my time, so it's hard for me to really assess his greatness outside of his monster numbers. But David Robinson, Olajuwon, and even Shaq I have no problem putting James past. These guys were great CENTERS, but James is a rare hybrid that blurs the lines between all positions. Although LBJ could never really play the 5 and dominate, he can mesh with just about any four other guys you roll out there and excel. Rebounding, passing, scoring, defense, basketball IQ....it's all there, packaged in a 6'8" brick house that runs like a locomotive.

nyplayer33

edy munny is spot on

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10272

I got him at number 7 , and 6 is as high as he can ever go.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    James easily gets the nod over these guys. Chamberlain was before my time, so it's hard for me to really assess his greatness outside of his monster numbers. But David Robinson, Olajuwon, and even Shaq I have no problem putting James past. These guys were great CENTERS, but James is a rare hybrid that blurs the lines between all positions. Although LBJ could never really play the 5 and dominate, he can mesh with just about any four other guys you roll out there and excel. Rebounding, passing, scoring, defense, basketball IQ....it's all there, packaged in a 6'8" brick house that runs like a locomotive.
    He is not as good as akeem. I'll put him ahead of David Robinson because he is a great shooter. But both David and Akeem simply dominated championship series where James has not. David led the league in scoring and blocks. James needs Wade and Bosh and still almost lost to an aged Spurs team last year.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Larry Bird also played with great players he would've been a nobody on a regular team

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Larry Bird also played with great players he would've been a nobody on a regular team
    Blasphemy, you dumb prikk. Don't be a total ass idiot.

Legend is one of the all-time greats. He made everyone around him better.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

When it's all said and done, Lebron will be #1. Right now he'd clown Jordan in his prime one-on-one. There simply has been no one as big, fast, and strong as Lebron. How would Jordan stop Lebron? Lebron outweighs him by 70 pounds and it's all muscle. And their skillsets aren't that far apart. You guys can go back to your gay childhood dreams about how superhuman Michael Jordan was, but the fact is he wouldn't stand a chance against Lebron heads-up. But he's still top 5. And right now he's #1 until Lebron retires.

Seaweed
    Update your status

He is

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

He's top 1 at his age. He'll be the GOAT when he retires!

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2005

MJ is #1 and that will never change. Lebron needs more rings.

He is damn lucky he isn't 1-3 in the Finals. Spurs hit a freethrow or Allen misses that three and he only has one ring.

Lebron hasn't even passed Kobe yet.

akphidelt

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    When it's all said and done, Lebron will be #1. Right now he'd clown Jordan in his prime one-on-one. There simply has been no one as big, fast, and strong as Lebron. How would Jordan stop Lebron? Lebron outweighs him by 70 pounds and it's all muscle. And their skillsets aren't that far apart. You guys can go back to your gay childhood dreams about how superhuman Michael Jordan was, but the fact is he wouldn't stand a chance against Lebron heads-up. But he's still top 5. And right now he's #1 until Lebron retires.
    I wouldn't go that far. Jordan was a beast on defense.

akphidelt

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    MJ is #1 and that will never change. Lebron needs more rings.

He is damn lucky he isn't 1-3 in the Finals. Spurs hit a freethrow or Allen misses that three and he only has one ring.

Lebron hasn't even passed Kobe yet.
    Kobe is not even in the same conversation as Lebron. We are talking GOAT here.

Luckycharms2012
    Luckycharms2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5412

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    3. Lebron James
    4. Kobe Bryant
    5. Shaquille O'Neal
    6. Magic Johnson
    7. Oscar Robertson
    8. Larry Bird
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Hakeem Olajuwon

Seaweed
    Update your status

Kobe is in the same discussion, but I side with Lebron overall

Seaweed
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Luckycharms2012 View Post
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    3. Lebron James
    4. Kobe Bryant
    5. Shaquille O'Neal
    6. Magic Johnson
    7. Oscar Robertson
    8. Larry Bird
    9. Tim Duncan
    10. Hakeem Olajuwon

Shaq

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2005

How quickly people forget Lebron's struggles against Boston for years, getting swept in the Finals, and losing to Dallas.

Like I said, he was damn lucky last year.

He is a great player and could still win more championships. His resume isn't done but right now he isn't top 5 period.

I'm not dissing his freakish athleticism. That's undisputed.

First 12345 ... Last