No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

If I'm an NBA GM, I'm drafting McDermott in the Top 10 next year

Maybe even in the top five.

He'll probably go in the 15-20 range, because he's not athletic enough, not big enough, blah, blah, blah.

The league is filled with "talented" players these days who have a limitless ceiling but are very inexperienced and limited in their understanding of the game. Plus, they're not always coachable, with their entourages, big guaranteed contracts and all that other nonsense. That's why it's such a bad product these days.

If you take McDermott, you're getting a veteran with a high basketball IQ who can overcome his physical deficiencies with a solid back-to-the-basket game, good mid-range shot, efficient, etc.

He's everything NBA GM's don't look for in a player anymore, so I'm sure he's a borderline lottery pick at best. But he'll have more staying power than 75% of the guys drafted ahead of him, because he'll out-smart -- and thus out-perform -- the competition. Just watch.

JM92
    JM92's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am going on record saying at the end of 2015 he'll be named the steal of the draft.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
    I am going on record saying at the end of 2015 he'll be named the steal of the draft.
    Agree.

Yerba Lurker
    Yerba Lurker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 267

He'll build his stock throughout the season. Will he be steal if he's a top 5 pick?

JM92

Of course not Yerba, and we have indeed seen some really strange draft picks in the recent past (my bow Waiters whom I had to email draftexpress about not having on their mock draft, ended up going 4th not that long after I sent said e-mail lol). But with all these teams looking for the potential superstar, I'll hardly believe he gets into the top 10 let alone top 5.

Yerba Lurker

Of course not Yerba, and we have indeed seen some really strange draft picks in the recent past (my bow Waiters whom I had to email draftexpress about not having on their mock draft, ended up going 4th not that long after I sent said e-mail lol). But with all these teams looking for the potential superstar, I'll hardly believe he gets into the top 10 let alone top 5.
    If he keeps putting up these numbers and stays healthy, why wouldn't he be taken Top 10? He's got the size and ability.

JM92

Because nba staff, like Nocoin pointed out correctly, seem to be desperately in love with this "potential" idea. And probably because in the past, guys that were the correct and most "nba-ready" choice, have been somewht disapointing.

Yerba Lurker

Historically, all true. Guess I'm rooting for high-scorers to be rewarded. Go McDerm!