bigballa
    bigballa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4154

explain to me...nba contracts....

suppose you could actually look at it in a broad scale of professional sports contracts really, but my question is what is with these players that will do anything to win and win as much as possible, but yet sign huge contracts that handicap the teams efforts in building around them....take kobe this season will make more than 30 mill, 30.5 i believe is the fig?, i mean thats over half of the 58.6m salary cap figure, i know teams go over that and it really doesnt matter, but with all his endorsements and money he has already made if kobe really wanted to win why not play for a million bucks? Is there something written somewhere that says you cant play for well under the market value of what he could get?

Obviously not all players could do this but the big time players that prolly make more in endorsements and side projects anyway i am shocked that we dont see more players doing this....i mean if your bank balance is 100+ mill or whatever whats another 10 to them? will be interesting to see what kobe does in his next contract, obviously he wont be on 30 mill but will be exciting to see what he leaves on the table if he really does want another ring.....

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

No matter how rich one becomes, $10 million is still a lot of money.

Sarunas
    Sarunas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by ParlayininHTown View Post
    No matter how rich one becomes, $10 million is still a lot of money.

not is truth.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

I have a few friends. My friend Rachel would grind on your D for $20 bucks. My friend Monica only spends $ at top end retailers, so 10 mills is nothing for her and my friend Phoebe would eat out of a trash can so 10 pennies maybe a lot to her, not sure since I havent seen her in awhile. Depends on your upbringing, other factors. 10 mills would buy me a little island and I'd be fine with my Redzone package, frosty beer, and joint.

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

Paying for the next divorce up front.

DoYouNotGetIT
    DoYouNotGetIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Doesn't matter if you have 300 million or 5 million, $10,000,000 is still a lot of money. Look at Mark Cuban on Shark Tank negotiating over thousands of dollars when he has billions. Also their agents want them to sign for big money, because they make a % of their contract. Just like I am sure there are multiple rookies who wanted an annuity instead of a salary, but guaranteed his agent talked him out of it since that agent would only receive the money in installments like the player (this is allowed in the NBA or NFL forgot but someone not famous did this).

People talk like Tom Brady took a deal that was so far off from every other QB the only difference between Brady and the rest of the QBs is Brady's deal isn't as back loaded as the rest of the Elite QBs. Only QB who might have screwed his team is Joe Flacco, because with the way that contract is structured until 2017 he has to be their starting QB and he might not be an Elite QB.

bigballa
    bigballa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4154

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouNotGetIT View Post
    Doesn't matter if you have 300 million or 5 million, $10,000,000 is still a lot of money. Look at Mark Cuban on Shark Tank negotiating over thousands of dollars when he has billions. Also their agents want them to sign for big money, because they make a % of their contract. Just like I am sure there are multiple rookies who wanted an annuity instead of a salary, but guaranteed his agent talked him out of it since that agent would only receive the money in installments like the player (this is allowed in the NBA or NFL forgot but someone not famous did this).

People talk like Tom Brady took a deal that was so far off from every other QB the only difference between Brady and the rest of the QBs is Brady's deal isn't as back loaded as the rest of the Elite QBs. Only QB who might have screwed his team is Joe Flacco, because with the way that contract is structured until 2017 he has to be their starting QB and he might not be an Elite QB.
    yeah thats mark cuban though, bit of a piss take really when you got that kind of cash, but my point is how much do you think kobe makes in endorsements each year? 10? 20? 30 mill? i really have no idea maybe i am miles off but i would think its safe to say 10 mill a year and even at that i would say that is a low estimate....but in his quest for at least one more ring to be on par with jordan, 2 more to beat him i am shocked he and other superstars arent taking less money, brady is a fantastic model to follow, he has his money ,woman and all that i am just surprised more dont do it...dont get me wrong i can see why the rookies and other cr@p bit players if you like fight for every cent but i am just surprised we dont see more tom bradys out there...

Kobe deal is done i believe after this year and he will no doubt take less money than he could get else where, it will be interesting to see how much less.....

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Every athlete is grossly overpaid for what they do

Although there is so much TV money it's not as much as you think an to owner they don't care because they're making big money

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

no player will give up big money to help team contend for a championship. no one is in it to win a "championship". if the chance for one comes along they get into the flow, but do you think the sacramento king or boston celtic players are thinking championship chances or are they just concerned with holding their roster spot and getting paid. the nba is a circus that people pay big money to see oversized and overpaid athletes play a game that isn't really that difficult if you have above average athletic skills or size.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: EasyPicks