skillboy77
    skillboy77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 320

NBA Title

Who will win this years NBA title? Opinions please.

sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

For the first time in a long time the East may have surpassed the West, with Miami and Indiana the obvious powerhouses, and Brooklyn potentially just as big? By the time the playoffs roll around and assuming Brooklyn have "managed" Pierce and Garnett's minutes and they actually have a healthy list, then the Nets will be very very hard to beat. Garnett is the exact type of guy who can build an identity for this Nets team and add some heart to a team that appears to have none.

The West appear to have a bunch of really good teams, but arguably no great ones, with the Spurs, Clippers, OKC and Memphis the obvious choices and Houston and Golden State being the X factors. Personally I would say both OKC and Memphis have actually gone backwards, albeit ever so slightly, and the loss of future star Bledsloe is massive for the Clippers too (he fit their system so well). The Spurs keep getting older and Manu may be truly past his best. The West really doesn't look that imposing this year.

Personally I think it will come down to Miami, Indiana and Brooklyn and the winner of the ECF will be battle hardened by the time the NBA finals start and hence be very hard to beat. Of course seeing as the season hasn't even started yet, this is all just vague speculation for now and I will probably change my mind many times through the regular season...

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Quote Originally Posted by sando View Post
    For the first time in a long time the East may have surpassed the West, with Miami and Indiana the obvious powerhouses, and Brooklyn potentially just as big? By the time the playoffs roll around and assuming Brooklyn have "managed" Pierce and Garnett's minutes and they actually have a healthy list, then the Nets will be very very hard to beat. Garnett is the exact type of guy who can build an identity for this Nets team and add some heart to a team that appears to have none.

The West appear to have a bunch of really good teams, but arguably no great ones, with the Spurs, Clippers, OKC and Memphis the obvious choices and Houston and Golden State being the X factors. Personally I would say both OKC and Memphis have actually gone backwards, albeit ever so slightly, and the loss of future star Bledsloe is massive for the Clippers too (he fit their system so well). The Spurs keep getting older and Manu may be truly past his best. The West really doesn't look that imposing this year.

Personally I think it will come down to Miami, Indiana and Brooklyn and the winner of the ECF will be battle hardened by the time the NBA finals start and hence be very hard to beat. Of course seeing as the season hasn't even started yet, this is all just vague speculation for now and I will probably change my mind many times through the regular season...
    No love for the Bulls?

Pretty good sum-up of the current situation, although as you said we'll all change our minds many times until playoffs come around.

I do feel Memphis will have a down year though. Not quite sure how down but I think they'll win more in the 45 range than the 50 range that seems to be expected of them (I think their win total is 50.5 or so on most books).

PickyBob
    PickyBob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 469

Absolutely no mention of Chicago among the powerhouses of the East?

PickyBob

It's gonna be your usual suspects:

CHI, IND, MIA, OKC, and SA, with LAC making the leap into top echelon this year. However, if LAC gets Memphis in the early rounds next year, that will be problematic as LAC's front court depth (beyond Jordan and Griffin) lacks competency.

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Bulls heat finals, winner of that wins it all

PickyBob

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectGrape View Post
    Bulls heat finals, winner of that wins it all

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

don't discount the rockets. not too much stock in preseason, but this houston team looks very strong. they are two deep at every position, and you could argue those backup players could be a starting squad on their own.

PickyBob

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    don't discount the rockets. not too much stock in preseason, but this houston team looks very strong. they are two deep at every position, and you could argue those backup players could be a starting squad on their own.
    Starting squad for maybe the Suns, maybe.

I'd like to see Dwight/Omer mesh well before I make my judgement on them....

Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

I just don't understand why people overlook the bulls. They beat Miami twice last year with no D-Rose. Love Lebron and the bunch but Bulls are the favorite in my opinion....Pacers and Nets do not have it in them....and Stern won't allow the Pacers to reach the finals regardless...not enough star power..lol...

TwoWays

Quote Originally Posted by PickyBob View Post
    Starting squad for maybe the Suns, maybe.

I'd like to see Dwight/Omer mesh well before I make my judgement on them....
    funny you can make that statement with suns record last year compared to the rockets.

sando

Yeah sorry boys I should have included the Bulls definitely, and probably the Knicks as far as East powerhouse teams. There is a significant gap between the big 5 in the East and the rest, and I should also say D Rose has looked very good in early preseason, however it will take a lot to convince me the Bulls can beat the Pacers 4 times in 7 games, let alone the Heat.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by Menses View Post
    I just don't understand why people overlook the bulls. They beat Miami twice last year with no D-Rose. Love Lebron and the bunch but Bulls are the favorite in my opinion....Pacers and Nets do not have it in them....and Stern won't allow the Pacers to reach the finals regardless...not enough star power..lol...
    That's a ridiculous statement. The conspiracy theory angle is so naive. The Pacers took the Heat to 7 games. Do you really think Stern had a single thing to do with the outcome of that game 7?

PickyBob

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    funny you can make that statement with suns record last year compared to the rockets.
    I'm making the point that there are few, if any, teams in the NBA that I would replace the Rockets bench with. None of those guys have an offensive game what-so-ever. While I believe Brewer to be undervalued, not many guys on that bench that I would start.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Heatles obviously top of heap especially if Wade can be healthy for once in spring. Far as the rest goes just the usual suspects the Nba does not surprise anyone with much. Can anyone beat Miami is the question? Because beneath them you have 6-8 teams that are just really good and not much separation for the most part far as the team's chasing Miami goes.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Gonna be interesting to see how the Dippers do in the west. Added some much needed outside shooting and of course Doc. Can he bring some extra motivation with his toughness and pedigree to this squad? I think he can and Paul will play possibly have his best season ever. Not saying they beat Miami but maybe some new blood finally takes that next step in the west.

PickyBob

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Gonna be interesting to see how the Dippers do in the west. Added some much needed outside shooting and of course Doc. Can he bring some extra motivation with his toughness and pedigree to this squad? I think he can and Paul will play possibly have his best season ever. Not saying they beat Miami but maybe some new blood finally takes that next step in the west.
    Paul is gonna have a monster season. I'm interested to see how Doc is able to get production out of these players. They definitely have backcourt depth (Crawford, Collison, Barnes), but the front court (Jamison, Mullens, Hollins) is concerning, especially with Doc's slow-tempo style. I'd like to see them acquire some serviceable bench bigs to anchor the rotation.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

This year is gonna be epic for the NBA. Finally some teams who can actually keep up with the Heat. Brooklyn is in full-effect with the additions of KG, Pierce, Terry and AK47. Bulls get Rose back. Indiana is a young team that just got a year older which is good.

West has a lot of really good teams, but no clear favorite to win it. OKC, SA, HOU, LAC, and GS will all be around 52-60 wins. If Houston actually had a decent PG I'd probably pick them to win the West, but Lin is awful.

Menses

That's a ridiculous statement. The conspiracy theory angle is so naive. The Pacers took the Heat to 7 games. Do you really think Stern had a single thing to do with the outcome of that game 7?
    He did not have to...the Heat were good enough to advance on their own...but mark my words...if Stern and his successor have to make a choice between Roy "No Homo" Hibbert and Derrick Rose....you had better believe, Rose will get the Nod...they will get the calls when necessary....

Menses

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    This year is gonna be epic for the NBA. Finally some teams who can actually keep up with the Heat. Brooklyn is in full-effect with the additions of KG, Pierce, Terry and AK47. Bulls get Rose back. Indiana is a young team that just got a year older which is good.

West has a lot of really good teams, but no clear favorite to win it. OKC, SA, HOU, LAC, and GS will all be around 52-60 wins. If Houston actually had a decent PG I'd probably pick them to win the West, but Lin is awful.
    Beverly should start but Lin can give you 15 and 5 anytime he wants....either one coming off the bench is a plus regardless...I like the Rockets but not to win the Chip..., but with Parsons, Lin and Beverly, thats 50 give or take...Harden can give you 25 anytime he pleases....Dwight with 20 and 13....Asik 10 plus...this team can score a hundred with their eyes closed...if they shoot 50 percent or more in any game, they won't loose...
    Last edited by Menses; 10-12-13 at 12:50 AM.

sando

Quote Originally Posted by Menses View Post
    He did not have to...the Heat were good enough to advance on their own...but mark my words...if Stern and his successor have to make a choice between Roy "No Homo" Hibbert and Derrick Rose....you had better believe, Rose will get the Nod...they will get the calls when necessary....
    I wouldn't be so sure. People from my generation appreciate players like Hibbert as a rare gem - why? Because he is close to the last true NBA centre, and I personally love watching him go to work in the post. I grew up in the golden years of the NBA, through the 80's and 90's when superstar big men dominated the league, Olajuwon, Robinson, Ewing, Mutombo, Mourning, etc.

Who truly goes to work in the paint anymore? Bynum has shown glimpses, however his bones are made of chalk. Otherwise we have a league where soft rooster's like Bosh can get away with playing centre. I can only imagine Bosh heading out to Denver on a road trip in the early 90's and trying to defend the post against Dikembe "not in my house" Mutombo or to New York where Ewing or even Oakley would have ripped his ugly little head off.

Hibbert might not show up all the time, but when he does, the old school fans love watching him go to work.

Anyway you seem like you know your ball, however if you want to be taken seriously at SBR you need to cut all the conspiracy crap nonsense out of your posts, it won't get you anywhere with the serious NBA guys around here...

willo
    willo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

East is real strong this season, heat, pacers, bulls, nets, knicks are the clear favourites. Pistons will trouble a few if they get their stuff together. Their length and size will be hard to handle. West is strong also. Do like the Clips to improve, but i do like the Warriors. If they stay healthy, they have everything a team needs to do some real damage come playoff time.

TwoWays

here is a quote from coach carlisle of the mavs after game with rockets, and why houston has a legit shot at title:

(On the Rockets) “I was looking at there third team out there and they looked like a real NBA team. This is a very, very deep team. (Dwight) Howard and (Omer) Asik will play well together if they choose to play that lineup and they probably will at times, but they are very, very good and have a lot of weapons, a lot of spacers, a lot of drivers, and so they are going to be tough to play.”

frankie2769
    frankie2769's Avatar Become A Pro!

Derrick Rose is looking better then ever. I'm taking the bulls.