ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

It really isn't a contest, MJ would force kareem or any other big to pickup his dribble, and then what - Kareem turns into an 18 foot jump shooter?

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    I play a lot of pickup ball, and I fail to see how the bigs mentioned have a shot vs guards.

First, a big can't guard Jordan if his life depended on it. It's the classic mismatch.
    Second, how the hell is a big going to beat a guard off the dribble at the top of the key, to get to a place on the floor where he can use3 his size as an advantage? Just back him down the whole way? Good luck with that.

MJ or any great guard or forward all day 1 v 1 vs any prototypical big man great.
    I guy like Barkley, Olajuwon, or even Craig Smith could just back off those guys and make them shoot a jumper and then get a layup every time on offense

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Kareem, Ewing, or Yao MIng that is different they can't dribble but Shaq probably could beat Jordan too

SteveRyan
    SteveRyan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2995

Please note: MJ said that IN HIS PRIME he would beat Lebron James 1 on 1 and that he is not sure about Kobe.

IN HIS PRIME.

Well, no shiit really? Don't we all know this? Duh MJ would beat Lebron.

ChalkyDog

No big can defend Jordan, their defense would consist of hoping MJ misses. You also can't just dunk a missed shot. They'd have to rebound, dribble it past the free throw line, and start their offense. Not happening.

sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    lol MJ could score.. but long run king james would destroy him. It's not even close.

FACT - Anyone who seriously thinks Lebron (or any player) could handle Jordan's intensity and will to win in a 1 on 1 scenario is under the age of 30.

Whole bunch of kids that have never seen Jordan actually play outside you tube clips.

Jordan is not some holy pedestal that can never be attained. There may one day be a player that surpasses him, however it most definitely isn't Lebron, who relies more on his god given physical gifts than he does actual basketball skill and savvy.

A guy with an un-reliable jump shot and who has been known to fade in crucial moments is better than Michael Jordan?

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by sando View Post
    FACT - Anyone who seriously thinks Lebron (or any player) could handle Jordan's intensity and will to win in a 1 on 1 scenario is under the age of 30.

Whole bunch of kids that have never seen Jordan actually play outside you tube clips.

Jordan is not some holy pedestal that can never be attained. There may one day be a player that surpasses him, however it most definitely isn't Lebron, who relies more on his god given physical gifts than he does actual basketball skill and savvy.

A guy with an un-reliable jump shot and who has been known to fade in crucial moments is better than Michael Jordan?
    This is the truth. I am right at your threshold age, however, I grew up in the Suburbs of Chicago during the 90's and watched the GOAT master his craft at the expense of many HOF'ers.

It's damn near impossible to compere Jordan to LeBron, especially if the only context is via stats. It would be like trying to compare Jordan to Wilt, or LeBron to Kareem. It's impractical, unreasonable, and as a result impossible.

But having seen both LeBron and Jordan play in their prime, there is no question in my mind which player was more dominant in their respective eras, and there are no amount of stats, rings or trophies that LBJ can accumulate to change that truth from my mind.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

you know kareem's sky hook had some range.

he doesn't have to dribble much when you're taking the ball out from the top of the key.

PickyBob
    PickyBob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 469

What would the line be in this hypothetical situation?

Jordan -140?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Michael Jordan at his prime was unbeatable. Lebron at his prime is beatable.

Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

Lebron has plenty of skill and savvy...which is why he is a walking triple double...however I will not say he is better than Jordan...and only people under 30 and espn story baitors claim Lebron is better. I do see however that there is a large contingent of holier than thou Jordan worshipers who feel the need to step on Lebron's legacy every time his name is mentioned next to Jordan's.....they don't mind if its Kobe...but if its Lebron, they get bent out of shape...Kobe is nor ever will be half the player Lebron is...and the league, Jordan and everybody knows it but they do not want to admit it....because there is a generation war going on between the 30 something, 40something, elder crowd and the latter half Generation X and mostly Y crowd who feel the need to protect their ERA....because they think its being forgotten.....just because Lebron's name is now being talked about in the Jordan veign does not mean people will forget Jordan or what he has accomplished....this Jordan worship has got to stop...Lebron is not some 22 year old punk who thinks he better than he really is (Kobe at 22)......He did more with less than Jordan and Kobe did during his tenure...in Cleveland...4 MVP's all deserved...and two titles....If Wade was 2-3 years younger....He would pass Jordan without a doubt...had he landed on the Lakers as a young kid with a younger Shaq and Phil Jackson....Lebron would have won 8 rings at least....stop fooling yourselves....He is not better than Jordan yet....but HE DESERVES to be talked about in the conversation...let the young kids say he is better...thats what people do during their ERA's...it can't be helped...but dun act like its a ridiculous argument....Jordan is scared shitless about Lebron for some reason....i wonder why that is?
    Last edited by Menses; 10-16-13 at 06:23 PM.

mtofell
    mtofell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4680

Kobe v Lebron v MJ is apples/oranges/pears

All 3 are great for different reasons. Given a choice of who I'd want on my NBA squad come playoff time I'd rank them:

MJ
    Kobe
    LBJ

But not by much..... again, all great players. 1 on 1? Who cares

My ranking could change by the time LBJ retires.

Menses

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Michael Jordan at his prime was unbeatable. Lebron at his prime is beatable.
    Dumars and Isiah punked Jordan for years...so did Larry and Magic.....Jordan became unbeatable when he teamed up with 2nd greatest perimeter defender of all time, Scottie Pippen......Lebron passed Pippen on that list last year...

Menses

Quote Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
    Kobe v Lebron v MJ is apples/oranges/pears

All 3 are great for different reasons. Given a choice of who I'd want on my NBA squad come playoff time I'd rank them:

MJ
    Kobe
    LBJ

But not by much..... again, all great players. 1 on 1? Who cares

My ranking could change by the time LBJ retires.
    You ever seen Kobe play defense? take that boy off that list.....lol....he dun belong......shit even Phil knows it....and he coached MJ and Kobe...Lebron is right there...

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    you know kareem's sky hook had some range.

he doesn't have to dribble much when you're taking the ball out from the top of the key.
    It did have range, but it was also incredibly rhythmic and in stride. Something I doubt he could create for himself consistently enough off the dribble.

I bet there are less than a handful of examples of Kareem getting off a skyhook where he didn't receive the ball already in the postish area.

Point being, I find it easier for Jordan to defend Kareem than the other way around.

MJ (or any NBA perimeter player) can knock down uncontested jumpshots at a better than 90% rate. You see it all the time in shoot around and practices. I remember watching Gilbert Arenas knock down some ungodly number of 3's in a row, one handed (think it's on Youtube somewhere).

Point being, if Kareem or any big were to try and take away the jumper, they'd be giving up a dunk. Meaning, the only defense a big could play on a player like Jordan, would be to hope he misses a jumper, and the reason why no big man stands a chance in a 1 on 1 with a guard.

I'd take Jordan in his 40's over any big in their prime.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by pickybob View Post
    what would the line be in this hypothetical situation?

Jordan -140?
    mj -1.5

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    I'd take Jordan in his 40's over any big in their prime.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

another note, does anyone remember back in the 90s taco bell was gonna sponsor a shaq vs hakeem 1 on 1?

the winner gets a million.

that shit never happened.

hakeem would've killed shaq in that match...

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

I likeJordan but he is quickly becoming a douche bag.

Menses

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    another note, does anyone remember back in the 90s taco bell was gonna sponsor a shaq vs hakeem 1 on 1?

the winner gets a million.

that shit never happened.

hakeem would've killed shaq in that match...
    I think I saw that commercial....

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

i dont know about destroy, but I think MJ would win

sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

Quote Originally Posted by Menses View Post
    Lebron has plenty of skill and savvy...which is why he is a walking triple double...however I will not say he is better than Jordan...and only people under 30 and espn story baitors claim Lebron is better. I do see however that there is a large contingent of holier than thou Jordan worshipers who feel the need to step on Lebron's legacy every time his name is mentioned next to Jordan's.....they don't mind if its Kobe...but if its Lebron, they get bent out of shape...Kobe is nor ever will be half the player Lebron is...and the league, Jordan and everybody knows it but they do not want to admit it....because there is a generation war going on between the 30 something, 40something, elder crowd and the latter half Generation X and mostly Y crowd who feel the need to protect their ERA....because they think its being forgotten.....just because Lebron's name is now being talked about in the Jordan veign does not mean people will forget Jordan or what he has accomplished....this Jordan worship has got to stop...Lebron is not some 22 year old punk who thinks he better than he really is (Kobe at 22)......He did more with less than Jordan and Kobe did during his tenure...in Cleveland...4 MVP's all deserved...and two titles....If Wade was 2-3 years younger....He would pass Jordan without a doubt...had he landed on the Lakers as a young kid with a younger Shaq and Phil Jackson....Lebron would have won 8 rings at least....stop fooling yourselves....He is not better than Jordan yet....but HE DESERVES to be talked about in the conversation...let the young kids say he is better...thats what people do during their ERA's...it can't be helped...but dun act like its a ridiculous argument....Jordan is scared shitless about Lebron for some reason....i wonder why that is?
    Excellent post, I agree with most, however you are being way too harsh on Kobe. Kobe at his peak was un-touchable. Are you aware how many times he was NBA All-Defence?

Also I didn't say Lebron did not possess skill and savvy, I simply implied his game is build more around his athletic abilities (as would probably any players that possessed Lebrons god given physical abilities).
    Last edited by sando; 10-16-13 at 07:18 PM.

Menses

Excellent post, I agree with most, however you are being way too harsh on Kobe. Kobe at his peak was un-touchable. Are you aware how many times he was NBA All-Defence?

Also I didn't say Lebron did not possess skill and savvy, I simply implied his game is build more around his athletic abilities (as would probably any players that possessed Lebrons god given physical abilities).
    He did not deserve to be NBA all defensive...those awards were given to him to fulfill the NARRATIVE....and the mythological story line...that HE IS THE 2ND COMING of Jordan.....which he NEVER was...the man was a glorified Vince Carter who would never have won a championship had he not been traded....People think I am hard on him...but it is more about me being hard on the NBA manipulation that is going on with this player for over a decade....people must understand that the league was terrified of Jordan leaving..and they needed a replacement....Kobe fit the bill because of his look, footwork, and jumpshot. They used Jordan's name to sell Kobe tickets...and Shaq was used to pad Kobe's resume....untouchable you say? I must beg to differ. If he was so untouchable why did Phil Jackson demand that Jerry Buss Trade him for Shawn Marrion and Jason Kidd who were also in their primes at the time? Do you know how many players could have won a championship with Shaq, the Laker bench, Phil Jackson and Buss at the helm? Lets go back to that era for a moment? Or even earlier..

(90's)Penny Hardaway - Olajuwon got in the way
    (2000's) Dwayne Wade - won a championhip with Shaq
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Allen Iverson
    Vince Carter
    Tracey Mcgrady
    Lebron James
    Paul Pierce

Replace Kobe with any one of those players and those Laker teams win rings...with additional help from the Refs...as stated by Donaghy. You take Shaq away from that team and look at the result...look what happened to the great Kobe Bryant...within 4 years he wanted out...I wonder why that is? This fool wanted out of the Lakers bad he was entertaining a trade to the Bulls to play in Jordan's shadow...Buss bailed the entire franchise out getting Gasol for basically a bag of peanuts...in reality Jerry West deliberately gave Gasol away as a pay off to Jerry Buss...his long time buddy....he denies it till this day...either way....Kobe needed two seven footers to win another ring...when you are as inefficient as Kobe is from the perimeter, you need big men on the offensive glass....it didn't hurt that Gasol was an all star stretch 4...who averaged beyond a double double for several years...Jordan won rings playing small....Kobe could not and will never be able to do this....everytime he has, he has failed miserably...

In reality, there is absolutely nothing about Kobe's game that resembles Jordan's especially his defense...

Ask yourself this question

If Kobe switched places with Lebron and was drafted by the Cavs in 03 and coached by Mike Brown with Mo Williams as a second option, would he have stayed for 8 years? Led them to an NBA finals? Won two MVP's? If Kobe could not make it work with Phil Jackson, Shaq, and the Pimp Godfather himself Jerry Buss...despite winning 3 rings...what would have happened to Kobe if he was forced to be the man to turn the Cavs franchise around? He barely lasted half a season with Mike Brown before he had him fired. Lebron had Brown for 5 years...

Now ask yourself another question? What would Lebron have done in a Laker uniform with Shaq and Phil? What did Phil say about Lebron recently? That he wanted Kobe to play more like Lebron....which he cannot because he plays no defense and is too inefficient from the perimeter..
    Last edited by Menses; 10-16-13 at 08:42 PM.

First 12