InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Where does Spoelstra sit historically?

seems interesting to me that i would have guessed his job would have been in jeopardy had the heat lost game 6 or 7

now there's people talking about whether he's a hall of famer

as funny as i think that is there are only 5 coaches with more titles than spo

interesting spo fact: he was on the court playing for portland when hank gathers died

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 398

Spolstra has potential to be like a Popovich but not a Jackson

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Once lebron leaves hell be just another "great" coach.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Paz View Post
    Once lebron leaves hell be just another "great" coach.
    Very true. You'd have to completely suck as a coach to fail with LeBron in your team.

George Karl, now that is a great coach. Makes something out of nothing every year.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

It's an odd comparison, but in the scheme of things (and assuming all things being equal), I would put Spolstra right around and above Trent Dilfer. (worst QB to win a superbowl, IMO).

This guy is managing talent (very hard skill), his game management is rarely an issue. That said, he's very much along for the ride, instead of directing it.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

right on his ass Drinker. Just like everyone else who fukkin coached.

Right on his ass.

Drinkker gimme a fukkin side here. Can't cash a fukkin pop bottle right now.

Fukkin gimme a side there, fukkin care less just gimme a fukkinside.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

probably one of the top 5 coaches of all time by the time he retires.

Lebron promised 7 rings , hes gonna win 5 more

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

avg age of that team is 42. Give Riley the GM Trophy for the ages for putting 9 plugs in to fill space under the cap, and Spolstra for making the perfect decisions as to how to play the other 100 ish minutes spread out over the 9 aging wonders...

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

Quote Originally Posted by BetterBizness View Post
    avg age of that team is 42. Give Riley the GM Trophy for the ages for putting 9 plugs in to fill space under the cap, and Spolstra for making the perfect decisions as to how to play the other 100 ish minutes spread out over the 9 aging wonders...
    exactly. asians are good at math.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    probably one of the top 5 coaches of all time by the time he retires.

Lebron promised 7 rings , hes gonna win 5 more
    you really are an idiot! Your level of intelligence amazes me with all your stupid statements. You are joking right?

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

i honestly believe that every human over the age of 12 could do Spoelstras job...

nobody listens to him... the players make the substitutions and play where they want... they dont run anything he wants them too...nobody earns less respect from his players... i really could go on... he is the most useless person, probably ever, that has been associated with the nba
    Points Awarded:

thirtytwo gave raydog 6 SBR Point(s) for this post.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

depends on how many more rings the heat get.

right now id say not too high on the list, not even top 5 of current coaches.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Spoelstra isn't a great coach. He sits nowhere

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

I love the interwebs
    http://chirb.it/Cmqb5t

thirtytwo
    thirtytwo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
    i honestly believe that every human over the age of 12 could do Spoelstras job...

nobody listens to him... the players make the substitutions and play where they want... they dont run anything he wants them too...nobody earns less respect from his players... i really could go on... he is the most useless person, probably ever, that has been associated with the nba

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Last place in line with coaches who have won a title in NBA history.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Heat lose = they got the worst coach in the world.
    Heat win = coach sucks, its all LeBron.

I don't know what you idiots expect. As much as Pat Riley is behind the whole manufacturing of this entire Heat roster, he is also the one who assembled what he thought would be a good coach for this team. And who the fk are we to question Riley. He knows what he's doing and he would not have kept Spo after Miami lost to Dallas if he didn't believe in him. And what do you know, this team has been to the finals 3 straight, won B2B, and very likely more to come.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ratpack

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Seems like a solid coach, but who really knows how good he is/can be.....hard to tell really because of his roster advantages over other coaches.....seems like a good guy that doesn't let his ego get in the way of the ultimate goal and that's gotta count for something.....More of a "don't screw it up" coach than a difference maker but that's all he needs to be at the present time.....

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Moneyline I agree he seems like a real solid coach. But most coaches we have perceived as great thru time have had "roster advantages". Auerbach, Riley, Daly, Jackson, Pop etc. were not managing scrubs. And in Jackson's case you cannot even speak to him about a job unless you have the league's best player with an all-star side kick waiting for him to take on the "challenge".

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Being a great coach in the pro's is over-hyped anyway you just need a leader/ motivator/ therapist more than anything. Sure you have moves and adjustments to make that can be crucial but at the pro level ecs. if you get the right chemistry of players and a couple leaders they know what they are doing. Great college coaches actually do more hands on actual coaching and have more challenges, influence on the game in my opinion.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

The guy is only 42 and has Lebron James, so he will have plenty of time to add 3-4 to more Championship to his resume. Pop, Thibs, and probably Doc Rivers are the only other guys that can coach Lebron James the right way right now.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    seems interesting to me that i would have guessed his job would have been in jeopardy had the heat lost game 6 or 7

now there's people talking about whether he's a hall of famer

as funny as i think that is there are only 5 coaches with more titles than spo

interesting spo fact: he was on the court playing for portland when hank gathers died
    We'll both him and James really needed that win. James has ended all that one hit wonder talk, and Spol's has further validated his credentials to make it hard for the Heat to fire him no matter what happens in the next 3 years.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Stars in the league have been making their own substitutions for years.
    Talent wins and the guy who gets to coach the team with the most talent is the coach who wins. Was there ever a championship that Phil Jackson won were he wasn't the favorite to win it that year?

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Stars in the league have been making their own substitutions for years.
    Talent wins and the guy who gets to coach the team with the most talent is the coach who wins. Was there ever a championship that Phil Jackson won were he wasn't the favorite to win it that year?
    Phil Jackson's teams might have never have been the dogs, but that is a lot about his and his teams excellence.

Great doesn't mean being an underdog.

As far as stars checking themselves in, it is getting even more prevalent in these AAU days. It happens at the college level, even with good to great coaches at the helm.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6882

sometimes teams win in spite of the coach when they have the talents and drive to get it... say, like...

the Tar Heels in 2005 and 2009

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

Yes.. Teams repeat for the same reason... In spite of their coach...

How many Championships did Jordan win after Chicago, Gretzky after Edmonton...

All I see on this site is Bosh is fking terrible, and Wade is old and injured...

Yet somehow the 37 year olds are the ones who show up..29 other guys want to kill Spolstras for his adjustments...

Riley and Spolstra are the reasons... like any of you fktards anything outside of the game but for reading what ESPN has to say...

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    Very true. You'd have to completely suck as a coach to fail with LeBron in your team.

George Karl, now that is a great coach. Makes something out of nothing every year.
    George Karl sucks. He is a regular season coach.

Kept putting Andre Miller on Steph Curry

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Spoeltra is a good coach. Not phil jackson, but

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    George Karl sucks. He is a regular season coach.

Kept putting Andre Miller on Steph Curry

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Spoeltra is a good coach. Not phil jackson, but probably better than byron scott, mike brown, and rick adelman.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by BetterBizness View Post
    Yes.. Teams repeat for the same reason... In spite of their coach...

How many Championships did Jordan win after Chicago, Gretzky after Edmonton...

All I see on this site is Bosh is fking terrible, and Wade is old and injured...

Yet somehow the 37 year olds are the ones who show up..29 other guys want to kill Spolstras for his adjustments...

Riley and Spolstra are the reasons... like any of you fktards anything outside of the game but for reading what ESPN has to say...
    riley, yes...spo, no...you are 100% clueless as fukk if you think spoelstra played any kind of role in the heats championships... every coach, assistant or ballboy in the league wins the championship the last 2 years at miami...

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Spoelstra is doign a good job managin Lebron and if you idiots think alll all Spo do is sit around and do nothing then you are clueless. Jackson was surrounded by talent and so was Riley. A huge part of that coach job is to manage the talent, see things the player is not seeing and guide them when their ego take over the well being of the team.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

none of you people know what skills or talent or basketball iq it takes to be a coach in the nba much less win a championship

so all of these judgments and hypotheses you guys made are useless

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Saying George Karl is better than Coach Spo is a fukking idiot.. George Karl don't know shit.. Guy is a fukking choker.. Can't fukking coach in the playoffs..

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Really easy to take this point of view. What a genius you are. They don't run anything he wants them to? Give me a break...

I hate the Heat more than anyone else does (more than you probably). But to give him 0 credit and call him an idiot coach...you are 100% clueless.

12 Last