t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

It's time for me to eat some major crow

I was on the record around here saying I thought Memphis would be worse off following the Rudy Gay trade. Now we can speculate how this team will be a year from now and further down the road but for now it looks like I need to admit I was wrong about this team. I don't think anyone can argue that Memphis is benefiting from the Westbrook injury and we have no idea how this series would go if he were healthy but they still got past the Clippers with relative ease after the first two games and not many thought they would win that series.

I felt that the Grizzlies would be hurt most late in games when they'd need a go-to scorer but they've managed to do this thing by committee with good ball movement and great defense, often times even defense to offense.

Like I said, I think it'd probably be a bit of a different story if Westbrook were playing but things turned their way and they have played some great basketball.

(By the way, this series with OKC obviously is not over yet. Memphis sitting pretty however.)

Gus Fring
    Gus Fring's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 745

Ur a square bro

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

I'll eat the crow too. Thought they gave up on a championship once they traded Rudy. They're doing just fine. However, they haven't played great competition yet. Clipps are good but Griffin was pretty banged up in that series. And obviously the Thunder aren't the same without Westbrook.

We can revisit this thread in a few weeks. I still think they will miss Rudy down the stretch when they badly need a bucket.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    I was on the record around here saying I thought Memphis would be worse off following the Rudy Gay trade. Now we can speculate how this team will be a year from now and further down the road but for now it looks like I need to admit I was wrong about this team. I don't think anyone can argue that Memphis is benefiting from the Westbrook injury and we have no idea how this series would go if he were healthy but they still got past the Clippers with relative ease after the first two games and not many thought they would win that series.

I felt that the Grizzlies would be hurt most late in games when they'd need a go-to scorer but they've managed to do this thing by committee with good ball movement and great defense, often times even defense to offense.

Like I said, I think it'd probably be a bit of a different story if Westbrook were playing but things turned their way and they have played some great basketball.

(By the way, this series with OKC obviously is not over yet. Memphis sitting pretty however.)
    I think we had some discussion about that earlier in the year and I referenced how well Memphis played without Gay the previous two years. Hell, they took OKC to 7 games two years ago. I was scared of the Clippers or Memphis in the second round even if Westbrook was healthy.

No need to eat crow.

No one is 100% on predictions or opinions.

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I think we had some discussion about that earlier in the year and I referenced how well Memphis played without Gay the previous two years. Hell, they took OKC to 7 games two years ago. I was scared of the Clippers or Memphis in the second round even if Westbrook was healthy.

No need to eat crow.

No one is 100% on predictions or opinions.
    Yes you did reference two years ago but I raised the point that Randolph isn't the player he was then. While I think we can agree he is on the downside, he has proven to still be a good player. 2 years ago he was phenomenal though. Dunno the stats but I'd venture to say he was putting up close to 25 that playoffs and definitely absorbing rebounds.

BigDofBA

Good point. Gasol and Conley have improved a lot as well.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

The Grizzlies run the "Ground and Pound" better then the Jets do.

t-wizzle

Good point. Gasol and Conley have improved a lot as well.
    Yea. Gasol maybe not so much he seems about the same to me. Conley is the difference in my opinion. He's the go-to-guy late if they have one.

BigDofBA

Didn't Gasol win defensive player of the year?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Yes. Then voted to 2nd All-Defensive team.

t-wizzle

Kind of silly to me but oh well. They play good team defense and it helps to have a 7 footer anchoring it.

trevor123698
    trevor123698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Nobody gives him any credit but Tayshaun Prince is essentially a third "7 foot" beast along the front line. ANd he can guard almost anyone 1-4 and could fare well against most 5's. Rudy Gay is good but not a winner. He folded like a chair to way less at UConn