No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

As if NBA players weren't selfish enough already

Did you see this article?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-beater-shots

And people wonder why the league isn't what it once was.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

I've noticed that often this year. Guys purposely take that extra dribble and heave it up like a millisecond after the buzzer so it won't count

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

that IS bullshit

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

Scroll down in the comments to the guy who posted the stats for half court shot by player since 2000 and you can't blame him. I can't get it pasted correctly.

You notice Durant said nothing about fourth quarter or playoff game. Article is meaningless.

Cuse4tw
    Sharp Square
    Cuse4tw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

old news.

this was talked about i feel like a week or two ago.

move on.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I've noticed this for years......Steven A Smith was talking about it on the radio early this season

They shouldn't count it in stats though, should be a freeroll.....It doesn't accurately reflect the shooting percentage of a player

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Bleacher report lol

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I love how some people claim the NBA was less talented when MJ played, but they fail to realize how top heavy it is today. Most of these teams have players that should be washing cars on their roster, and the really good players of today are just stat whores. Back when MJ played everyone had pride, and the goal was to win. No one gave a shit about their shooting percentage until the game was over.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

Quote Originally Posted by FindTheLock View Post
    I love how some people claim the NBA was less talented when MJ played, but they fail to realize how top heavy it is today. Most of these teams have players that should be washing cars on their roster, and the really good players of today are just stat whores. Back when MJ played everyone had pride, and the goal was to win. No one gave a shit about their shooting percentage until the game was over.

kind of a different argument

I loved the NBA in the MJ era, and don't care much for it today

but I wouldn't argue that the players are less talented now. I'd have to say just due to talent pool reasons alone, that Players today are much better.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

It was always top heavy. MJ played in an era full of expansion teams and just really horrible teams like the mavericks.
    Unathletic white guys and undersized shooting guards which he feasted on during his career.
    Jordan never won anything till expansion teams came in and the old guard went past their prime.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    It was always top heavy. MJ played in an era full of expansion teams and just really horrible teams like the mavericks.
    Unathletic white guys and undersized shooting guards which he feasted on during his career.
    Jordan never won anything till expansion teams came in and the old guard went past their prime.

nba pay your dues rule. isiah had to do the same as well as hakeem.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Some of the bench players back then were absolute garbage too......I would say more athletic freaks these days overall

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    kind of a different argument

I loved the NBA in the MJ era, and don't care much for it today

but I wouldn't argue that the players are less talented now. I'd have to say just due to talent pool reasons alone, that Players today are much better.
    Players are more physically talented today without question.

When it comes to basketball IQ, though, there is no comparison.

The 80's and 90's were the peak because we saw the best of both worlds: respect for the fundamentals of the game, passion for winning, players not making ridiculous amounts of money, athleticism really starting to evolve.

Players are just as "talented" today -- if not more so -- but they make a shitload of cash so they really don't care much overall from night to night, and the basic fundamentals have severely slipped. Now it's just a three-point shooting, dunking, get on the highlight reel league for the most part.
    Points Awarded:

FindTheLock gave No coincidences 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: FindTheLock

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Best intro/theme ever.....Used to get so pumped up to watch NBA growing up in the 90s to this song

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7345

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Some of the bench players back then were absolute garbage too......I would say more athletic freaks these days overall

common man tree rollins was awesome.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    common man tree rollins was awesome.
    Anyone named tree rollins is awesome, period

FindTheLock

To be fair if you matched up an all star team from the 90's to an all star team of 2013, I would bet my money on the 90's all stars winning the game.

FindTheLock

clyde the glide. Hakeem the dream. Barkley, Pippen, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Peyton, Robinson, Ewing just to name a few. These guys would not give a shit about their shooting percentage until the game was over and they won.

FindTheLock

the NBA changed from a league of winners, to a league of promoters. Now the only thing that matters is personal accomplishments. It is evident in the shitty product they're trying to sell. It is obvious that these players don't have the drive to win like the players of the past.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Best intro/theme ever.....Used to get so pumped up to watch NBA growing up in the 90s to this song

Sweet.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

the NBA changed from a league of winners, to a league of promoters. Now the only thing that matters is personal accomplishments. It is evident in the shitty product they're trying to sell. It is obvious that these players don't have the drive to win like the players of the past.
    how about some examples?

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Anything past half court should not count as an attempt.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Bryant has more drive to win than any player you mentioned save for jordan. no comparison between bryant/jordan and anyone else. stop putting ewing or bird's name in the same sentence as bryant.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

clyde the glide. Hakeem the dream. Barkley, Pippen, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Peyton, Robinson, Ewing just to name a few. These guys would not give a shit about their shooting percentage until the game was over and they won.
    clyde the glide is not even a top 20 player of all time, neither is pippen, stockton, ewing, or gary payton.

Winnipeg Jets
    Winnipeg Jets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1459

nba is crap. so pedantic.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Players are more physically talented today without question.

When it comes to basketball IQ, though, there is no comparison.

The 80's and 90's were the peak because we saw the best of both worlds: respect for the fundamentals of the game, passion for winning, players not making ridiculous amounts of money, athleticism really starting to evolve.

Players are just as "talented" today -- if not more so -- but they make a shitload of cash so they really don't care much overall from night to night, and the basic fundamentals have severely slipped. Now it's just a three-point shooting, dunking, get on the highlight reel league for the most part.
    i agree with the theory of this, but in all reality it isn't the case. people just seem to think that when they were younger, the players were more motivated, more fundamentally sound, etc because we watched them as kids.

but in reality i was in a lot of those locker rooms and the players were drinking BEFORE and after games, playing cards, etc - now they're exercising.

really watch some of those highlights from the 80s, there is a complete lack of defense in a lot of the games that ended up 140-135 and routinely the entire team wouldn't get back cuz they were half drunk.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

The only thing NBA players care about is money and white women. Don't matter what "era".

Stop thinking they play for pride and the "team".

The only players that do that are in college and won't be making the NBA.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

To be fair if you matched up an all star team from the 90's to an all star team of 2013, I would bet my money on the 90's all stars winning the game.
    All of the 90's best players against just the 2013 All Star Team?

You're not really going out on a limb there.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2005

I think this article is taken a little out of context. Durant isn't talking about deep three pointers. I think he is talking about 3/4 court shots.

How often do those go in anyway? Like 1% of the time? I don't think it's a huge deal.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7590

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    I think this article is taken a little out of context. Durant isn't talking about deep three pointers. I think he is talking about 3/4 court shots.

How often do those go in anyway? Like 1% of the time? I don't think it's a huge deal.
    right, i agree. he refers to it as "that shot". probably almost undoubtedly called it that to refer to a heave, as battier called it. but they didn't really say that in their lead in to the quote. they just claled it a "shot". i think they're being deceptive. it's bleacher report.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2005

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    right, i agree. he refers to it as "that shot". probably almost undoubtedly called it that to refer to a heave, as battier called it. but they didn't really say that in their lead in to the quote. they just claled it a "shot". i think they're being deceptive. it's bleacher report.
    They are being deceptive. I've seen Durant take a ton of mid-court shots. The shots he is refering to in this article are those full court or 3/4 court shots that players have to throw over handed or just heave at the buzzer. A lot of players don't even bother some with these shots because there really is no point. You make like 1 out of 100.

This article is taking it way out of context. Watch OKC play and see how often Durant or Westbrook rush up court for a final shot. If they were that worried about their %, they wouldn't do this. I've never seen them pass up a make-able shot at the buzzer.