No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Memphis isn't Gay anymore

Grizz looked just as good -- if not better -- without Rudy last year when he was hurt. Sounds like there were chemistry and attitude issues. I'm not saying they improved with this trade, but they're not going to fall off the face of the earth, either.

The +10 line tonight is ludicrous, as is the +500 or more ML.

JJJ
    JJJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 704

price, ed davis, and austin daye wont play tonight ....conely banged up too.... also traded speights last week so memphis will be very short handed

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    price, ed davis, and austin daye wont play tonight ....conely banged up too.... also traded speights last week so memphis will be very short handed
    They're 3-1 since the Speights trade. As long as Conley plays -- and it sounds like he will -- I think the Grizz at +10 are good to go.

The trade rumors weighed this team down. Spacing was terrible at crunch time when Gay was trying to fit in simultaneously with Z-Bo and Gasol. Long-term, this trade makes Memphis better.

JJJ
    JJJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 704

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    They're 3-1 since the Speights trade. As long as Conley plays -- and it sounds like he will -- I think the Grizz at +10 are good to go.

The trade rumors weighed this team down. Spacing was terrible at crunch time when Gay was trying to fit in simultaneously with Z-Bo and Gasol. Long-term, this trade makes Memphis better.
    the line usually adjusts to situations like this the public will be all over OKC and usually the underdogs cover

Italy
    Italy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 302

under or over 190.5?

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

You're joking right? Memphis is now stuck in nba purgatory. Would have been much much smarter to unload Randolph.

Sport_Fish
    Sport_Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2039

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    You're joking right? Memphis is now stuck in nba purgatory. Would have been much much smarter to unload Randolph.
    And break up one of, if not the best front court in the league?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

It won't benefit them this year, but unloading Gay can and likely will work in their favor long-term. Picking up Prince, Daye and Davis isn't a bad consolation prize in the here and now given the money they'll free up in the future.

Memphis wasn't going anywhere with this core group. Gay was the "leader" on paper and in the box scores, but I don't think they're missing much down the road by getting rid of him.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

edit

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

So good to have a franchise player back in Toronto! Raptors always go for the high flyers.. Derozan, Gay, Ross dunk contest

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    So good to have a franchise player back in Toronto! Raptors always go for the high flyers.. Derozan, Gay, Ross dunk contest
    Style over substance.

scholesy
    [Too Long]
    scholesy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1685

I actually don't think they got worse with the trade, but the players might not be pleased with it though.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by scholesy View Post
    I actually don't think they got worse with the trade, but the players might not be pleased with it though.
    At worst, I think there are mixed emotions. The trade was inevitable, and they're likely glad it's finally over -- as sad as some of them might be to see Gay go. It's been a distraction since the media first became fixated on it a while ago.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Memphis get Daye who could be good, and a proven player Tayshaun. They basically win either way

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    Memphis get Daye who could be good, and a proven player Tayshaun. They basically win either way
    Gay due $18.5 million over the final two years of his contract. Insane.

After all, the team was no longer set to pay the luxury tax, and the Grizz needed all the scoring they could get. And Rudy’s a scorer, right? In Memphis’ eyes? No. The team’s new front office has never been smitten with Gay’s work, taking plenty of shots to score a middling amount of points, while offering precious little else in terms of defense, rebounding, passing or putting opponents into the penalty. Even without the luxury-tax restrictions influencing movement, the two years and more than $37 million remaining on Rudy Gay’s contract after this season is far too steep a price to pay for his production. If you’re going to make $17.88 million, as Rudy will next year, you should at least be averaging 17.88 points per game while shooting an acceptable percentage.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...1538--nba.html

Great article. Surprised you're such a Gay fan t-wizz. I think Memphis will look back at this deal and smile.

noveggies
    noveggies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Quote Originally Posted by Italy View Post
    under or over 190.5?
    Jumped on o191.5 thinking it was a steal last night, then got o190 this morning, and took some more at o189 just a minute ago. My spreadsheet was telling me ~198 is where it would be, but I guess that doesn't take into account the trade. But, I still thing OKC is likely to put up 105-110, so 87-92 is all that's needed from the grizz. I definitely don't see how the trade means OKC scores less.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Completley agree here. This team is than as ever at the wing position now, and at the perimieter. They should have unloaded Randolph, and used Arthurt at the PF position. Arthur could be starting on a lot of NBA teams, he is that good. They have now become the Utah Jazz of the West, a ton of frontcourt players and not enough talent on the perimeter.

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Gay due $18.5 million over the final two years of his contract. Insane.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...1538--nba.html

Great article. Surprised you're such a Gay fan t-wizz. I think Memphis will look back at this deal and smile.

Strongly disagree. My question for Memphis is this: What exactly is the long term plan here? I get the whole freeing up some money but what is the plan?

There aren't a lot of guy's with Rudy Gay's ability in the league. We're talking about a 6'9'' player who can create his own shot and score. I know there always seemed to be something missing there but so much of that was because they wouldn't give him the reins and make it his team. Ever since their run 2 years ago, there always seemed to be this contention that it was Randolph's team - that is just downright foolish to me. Randolph is washed up. If you don't believe me just watch the game tonight.

So it all goes back to what exactly is the plan here? To me it looks like they think they can win with a core of Randolph, Gasol, and Conley. Good luck with that Memphis but that will get you nowhere long-term.

t-wizzle

Z-Bo with 9 pts on 4-17 shooting. That's ok though he got 19 rebounds.