greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Why Houston? Why?

I've only been a Houston sports fan, no matter how good or bad the teams have been over the years I always wanted them to win. Until recently with the Rockets. I frequent a Rockets fan site, which surprisingly has high traffic. I need to know if every fan base in the country has 95% of their fans thinking their team is or will be very soon tops in their respected league. It's unbearable how deluded these people on this site is, for example they have threads that garnered thousands of views and dozens of posts about the following:

Houston being the next OKC
    Don't trade for Howard, our 2012 draftees will be superstars
    Lin's upside (where 19 out of every 20 responses are comparing him favorably to Nash or that he will without a doubt be an allstar)
    Will Royce White be the next Dennis Rodman
    Will Royce White be the next Magic Johnson
    Guy makes a thread about Lin being overrated and lists with stats and video why he believes so. In response he gets 10 full pages of other posters ripping the guy. Of course there are no stats to back this up, just internet insults.
    A thread comparing the Rockets to the New England Patriots

Please tell me this is common with hardcore fans. There is no doubt that as constructed the Rockets ceiling is 30 wins next season.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

I'm sure the Bobcats forum is talking about the 2013 playoffs. Nothing new here. Typical homer fans.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

lol, too bad you just like everyone else are just guessing. The rockets may surprise you. Jeremy Lin surprised you last NBA season didn't he, and it was a phenomenal show to witness. I hope to be positively stunned again.

greenhippo

A PG surprising me in D'antoni's system? I could put up 20 points, 8 assists and 6 TOs a game with that offense. Guy thinks Lin will be an all star or even a top 10 PG next season. And no, the Rockets will be surprising no one next season, they got infinitely worse this off season, no hope for that perennial 9th place finish next year.

EasyHustlin
    EasyHustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Will Royce White be the next Magic Johnson

They're just like us, only instead of talking about what the next play is, they spend their time discussing their delusions of grandeur. Sports can be a potent ass drug

greenhippo

Add another one for the laugher

2012 Rockets = 2004 Pistons?

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

far-reaching comparisons and homer pride aside, why are you so negative about the team as it stands right now? I think Houston is doing the right thing by making big changes, trading for the players that Kevin McHale wants rather than trying to work with the remnants of Adelman's team.

Are they where they need to be yet? No. But I like seeing the roster transition for a team that's been largely stagnant for the last few seasons. I would place a more attainable goal for them at around 42-44 wins and challenge for a playoff spot down the stretch. I don't know if they'll get it in 2013, but I like the direction they're moving.

greenhippo

The team today will be lucky to win more than 30 games. They lost Camby, Lowry, Scola, Buddinger, Dragic. 5 of their top 6 guys are gone now with Martin being the only holdover. Lin will struggle mightily with this offense and the options he's given. Make no mistake about it, the 3 first round picks were attained solely to use in a DHoward or Bynum trade. Lamb will be productive but won't make up for everything they lost. They needed to go this route no later than last offseason but Morey is a garbage GM who was telling the fans down here every time he could that he had 'something in the works' 'we're so close to getting that superstar' How close did he get? Pau Gasol, not 27 year old Gasol, but declining 31 year old Gasol. What an embarrassment if that trade went through.

My biggest issue has been the blind support of our GM, he has given the team and done nothing for the team besides constant playoff misses. In a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs, people down here literally think he's the best in the game today, it's mindboggling and any mention of his numerous and constant failures is met with unending insults.

I want the team to win 50 games and reach the conference semis or conference finals, other than the 08-09 team I can't say we've been that close for 15 years. The Clippers and Warriors have had more success than we have over that time, that's embarrassing.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Houston hasn't been relevant for awhile. It was sad that they couldn't get further with Tmac and Yao. They were never healthy at the same times and just too many things went wrong but that was a championship calliber team for sure. I still remember watching live that game when Tmac lit the spurs in the final minute. Been watching the league for more than 2 decades and never witnessed anything like that and it will never be duplicated again.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    far-reaching comparisons and homer pride aside, why are you so negative about the team as it stands right now? I think Houston is doing the right thing by making big changes, trading for the players that Kevin McHale wants rather than trying to work with the remnants of Adelman's team.

Are they where they need to be yet? No. But I like seeing the roster transition for a team that's been largely stagnant for the last few seasons. I would place a more attainable goal for them at around 42-44 wins and challenge for a playoff spot down the stretch. I don't know if they'll get it in 2013, but I like the direction they're moving.
    wat are the players that he wanted? he wanted lin, asik, and a bunch of rookies?
    they had to rebuild but this is the product of a failed dwight howard chase.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

I thought they should have got rid of Martin. He can't seem to stay healthy, and he doesn't play any defense. I thought Houston looked better once Martin went out of the lineup with the injury. Don't let the stats fool you, he is your typical 20 point scorer on a mediocre team.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    wat are the players that he wanted? he wanted lin, asik, and a bunch of rookies?
    they had to rebuild but this is the product of a failed dwight howard chase.
    The point remains, that Houston has done NOTHING in the last few years. They've been a shitty, complacent team with no identity or hopes of making a run in the post season. For those thinking that they've lost something by making these moves, I'm not sure what to say.

The Rockets need to rebuild because the 2011 squad was not getting it done, and after failing to acquire Howard, then yes, young players & draft picks are the best thing for them.