convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Brazil is no joke folks. These guys qualified for the Olympics without Nene/Varejao/Barbosa and even beat Argentina (with a complete squad) in the qualifying tourney last year.

US should have won by more, they just missed too many shots (I'm looking at you Melo, Kobe, Durant). Size played a role in that perhaps. Pretty easy to say that if they have an off game shooting in the medal round they can lose.

Not really worth discussing what ifs and hypothetical matchups with the Dream Team.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    the 1992 dream team had the best players in the league

this team has key guys left off of it...

with a healthy Dwight, Rose, ect...they could at least compete... 1992 would probably pull it out, but I could see matchup problems for each side
    Only matchup problem is nobody can guard Jordan. IF he gets angry he'd just take over the entire game.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Wrong again
    Put money on Spain to win the gold. Let me know how it goes.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by darkhat View Post
    Only matchup problem is nobody can guard Jordan. IF he gets angry he'd just take over the entire game.
    No one on the dream team could guard Jordan. The 2008 gold team had way better defenders than the 92 dream and not even close. Jordan and Pippen were the only first class defenders and throw Robinson in there too. 08 had a Kobe in his prime who's one of the best defenders of all time and a Wade who is one of the best at the 2 spot. Also Lebron who can guard almost any position and Dwight Howard. Kobe, Wade, and Lebron can all take turns guarding Jordan.

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

Quote Originally Posted by convick View Post
    Brazil is no joke folks. These guys qualified for the Olympics without Nene/Varejao/Barbosa and even beat Argentina (with a complete squad) in the qualifying tourney last year.

US should have won by more, they just missed too many shots (I'm looking at you Melo, Kobe, Durant). Size played a role in that perhaps. Pretty easy to say that if they have an off game shooting in the medal round they can lose.

Not really worth discussing what ifs and hypothetical matchups with the Dream Team.
    It is true, Brazil played really well, their back court is a best kept secret; these guys made some unbelievable pass. The matchup is frontline where brazil got height & some toughness against undersize US team.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

No team could beat the dream team

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

If you want to look at it closer without blowing your loads to star names....

Bird, washed up, old, non-factor
    Stockton, basically a non-factor,
    Pippen, only gets talk about because of Jordan/Bulls, nothing special
    Leattner, do I even need to say anything?
    Magic, past his prime, aids
    Ewing, google patrick ewing thoery
    Drexler, starting downturn of his career,
    Robinson, heading into his prime, lacked that killer instinct but not many centers like him anymore
    Malone, in his prime but not a guy who's going to carry you to a championship
    Mullin, not sure how he would fair in todays game
    Barkley, entering his fat stage, at least he had that killer instinct to bully everyone weak
    Jordan, best player on the team somehow shoots the lower FG%, make sense to me,

So basically this team looks better than they really are, playing against bums will make anyone look dreamy....

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Michael Jordan had terrible arguments.

"Remember now, they learned from us," Jordan said. "We didn't learn from them."
    What? So successors can never be better because they learned from those before them? I guess Jordan was never better than Larry Bird or Magic because he learned from them.

Jordan rebutted Bryant's argument by saying that most of the members of the 1992 Dream team were "in the prime of our careers."
    "I heard Kobe say we were not athletic," Jordan said. "But we were smart. He said we were too old, but I was 29 and in the prime of my career. Pip [Scottie Pippen] was 26 or 27, [Charles] Barkley was 29, Patrick [Ewing] was 29 and Chris Mullin was 29. Almost everybody was still in their 20s."
    Bird was 36. Magic was 33. And those were the two greatest players on the team at the time. That takes away a lot from that team's cred.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Wilt, Russel, West, Oscar, Baylor, Barry, Maravich, Kareem,

I think they could compete.

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    France is actually the biggest challenge the the USA Spain is mostly just strong at the 4 and 5 spots
    Nah, Spain has a great PG too. They're lucky Rubio got injured.

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    If you want to look at it closer without blowing your loads to star names....

Bird, washed up, old, non-factor
    Stockton, basically a non-factor,
    Pippen, only gets talk about because of Jordan/Bulls, nothing special
    Leattner, do I even need to say anything?
    Magic, past his prime, aids
    Ewing, google patrick ewing thoery
    Drexler, starting downturn of his career,
    Robinson, heading into his prime, lacked that killer instinct but not many centers like him anymore
    Malone, in his prime but not a guy who's going to carry you to a championship
    Mullin, not sure how he would fair in todays game
    Barkley, entering his fat stage, at least he had that killer instinct to bully everyone weak
    Jordan, best player on the team somehow shoots the lower FG%, make sense to me,

So basically this team looks better than they really are, playing against bums will make anyone look dreamy....

Nice post. They played nobody.

None of the Olympic athletes from '72 could compete with the '92 Olympians. None of the athletes from '92 could compete with the London Olympians.

Could Spitz beat Phelps? Spitz wouldn't even medal.

Most of these guys must think Jerry West would dominate today's NBA.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Wilt, Russel, West, Oscar, Baylor, Barry, Maravich, Kareem,

I think they could compete.
    No fukkin way. They would get abused.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

This team couldn't beat the team of 1992 all stars that didnt make the dream team roster

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

There are only 3 guys on the current "dream team" that would even make the 92 roster. I think that in itself speaks volumes.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by meader99 View Post
    There are only 3 guys on the current "dream team" that would even make the 92 roster. I think that in itself speaks volumes.
    which ones

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Not only was the '92 team better, they were smarter.

This current squad has Corky from Life Goes On basketball smarts, '92 team had Einstein basketball smarts.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    which ones
    I'd go:

LeBron
    Chris Paul
    KD

clearly not:

davis
    chandler
    iguodala

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    I'd go:

LeBron
    Chris Paul
    KD

clearly not:

davis
    chandler
    iguodala
    No Bryant?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

K13's post is abomination

Magic "past his prime" > all but one or two of this teams players

His last year was 19/12/7 and that's with guys like worthy being over the hill around him

And Barkley was the best player in the world during the 92-93 season including Jordan (maybe the only player to truly be better than mj over the course of a season after 1991) so I guess his "fat stage" must have been greatly exaggerated

I could go down the rest of the list but why bother

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    which ones
    Lebron, Kobe, KD.

First 12