ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

Clyde Drexler on ‘Dream Team’-era Magic Johnson: ‘Everybody would feel sorry for him

We've had a copy of Jack McCallum's fantastic Dream Team bio in our hands for nearly a month now, and as you'd expect the book is an absolutely brilliant and engaging read. We've been chomping at the bit to send little snippets from the book your way via Ball Don't Lie or Twitter, but we were asked very kindly to back off on releasing excerpts until we were allowed to discuss the book with its author in anticipation of its release on July 10. And, in news I'm giddy to pass along, we will be talking with Jack and detailing the book in greater detail with its author when Dream Team comes out. In the meantime, the folks at Random House have allowed Deadspin to release a snippet of McCallum's book, and us to snip up that snippet. Because what a snippet it is.

In it, Clyde Drexler (who you may know as the guy that annoys the heck out of you while calling Houston Rocket games on League Pass) absolutely destroys Magic Johnson for both his inclusion on the Dream Team, Magic's own play, and Johnson winning the 1992 All-Star Game MVP.

"Magic was always..." And Drexler goes into a decent Magic impression: "'Come on, Clyde, come on, Clyde, get with me, get with me,' and making all that noise. And, really, he couldn't play much by that time. He couldn't guard his shadow."

"But you have to have to understand what was going on then. Everybody kept waiting for Magic to die. Every time he'd run up the court everybody would feel sorry for the guy, and he'd get all that benefit of the doubt. Magic came across like, 'All this is my stuff.' Really? Get outta here, dude. He was on the declining end of his career."

Drexler had played exquisitely in the 1992 All-Star Game in Orlando, although the MVP award eventually went to Magic, who had been added by Commissioner Stern as a special thirteenth player to the Western Conference roster. "If we all knew Magic was going to live this long, I would've gotten the MVP of that game, and Magic probably wouldn't have made the Olympic team."

It's true that Johnson's defense was lacking in his final year — A YEAR THAT SAW HIS LAKERS BEAT DREXLER'S TRAIL BLAZERS TO MOVE ON TO THE NBA FINALS — and that the never-speedy Johnson had slowed a bit in his 14 months off following the 1991 Finals and the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, but to call that point in Magic's career "declining" is to use the word technically correct and terribly wrong in so many ways.

At age 31, in his last full year with Los Angeles, Johnson (whose Lakers beat Clyde Drexler's Portland Trail Blazers in the 1991 Western Conference finals) managed a 25 Player Efficiency Rating, a mark that would put him in the top five even in the star-heavy 2011-12 season. He averaged 19.4 points and a combined 19.5 rebounds/assists, and was brilliant in his team's playoff run. A run that included a victory in the Western Conference finals over Clyde Drexler's Portland Trail Blazers.

It's completely true that the public perception of HIV and AIDS has changed considerably in the two decades since. I remember thinking, upon learning of Johnson's diagnosis, that I hoped he lived long enough to make it to the 1992 NBA Finals in June in order to take in one last standing ovation of sorts. Such was the knowledge a good chunk of us (especially 11-year-olds) had about HIV; that not only was it a death sentence, that it was a nearly immediate death sentence. Too many national evening news features and TIME magazine pictorials shaped that thought process.

We're smarter, now. And happily putting the mute on Our Man Magic as he takes over ABC's halftime show 20 years after the 1992 Finals that he more than made it to.

Clyde, though, doesn't appear to be as hung up on that aspect of it. No, it seems Drexler is more perplexed at Johnson's prominence on that team, and losing out on a meaningless MVP award in perhaps the finest All-Star game any of us have ever watched.

And, if you watch tape of that game (save for the final play, where the East's Isiah Thomas sort of lets Magic do his thing) or Johnson's Dream Team teammates guarding him in scrimmages, you can safely determine that Magic's teammates were going at him. The only opponents that weren't, back then, were the same Olympic "combatants" that were asking everyone for their shoes after the game. From Magic to Michael to Mullin to Laettner.

(OK, maybe not Christian Laettner.)

This isn't even getting into Magic's much and needlessly ridiculed return to the NBA in 1995-96, five years after those Lakers were in the Finals. The guy, at age 36 and not in NBA shape, managed a 21 PER and fantastic stats (14.6 points, 12.6 combined rebounds/assists in just 30 minutes per game) for a Laker team that was often out of step with some of his more, um, cerebral instincts. Technically declining, sure. But still pretty fantastic.

(Drexler, three years younger and in better basketball shape, managed a 20 PER in 1995-96.)

You won't come away from reading Jack McCallum's book a big fan of Drexler's, for this and other reasons. And for this, and so many other reasons, you need to be the first in line with a copy when it comes out on July 10.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...8503--nba.html

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

i've never liked drexler. he was on nba tv once and he put himself in the same discussion as Kobe Bryant

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

yeah....it seems like a very redic statement when you first hear it......

because the average Joe or SBR Reader would LOVE to be Magic for awhile.....

but I mean look at that roster... at that time and since, who on the roster would have traded their lives with Magic?

Laettner and Chris Mullin are the only ones I'd even think about listening to an argument about..

who would say, yeah I don't feel sorry for a guy that had to retire and be publically humiliated due to getting the Aids dick.... and oh, maybe he's gay.... ect ect ect...

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

FYI most people don't realize how good magic still was when he had to hang em up....could make a case for being the best athlete whose career ended early.

Could you imagine if a guy these days average 19/12.5/7?

Fukking absurd

Magic was better than glide's best on his worst day.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Clyde sounds ignorant as fuk. Those comments sound like they are from 1992, not 2011

ttwarrior1

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

I've known about this for a few days. Drexler has a lot of damn nerve. He's jealous that he's a mere shadow of what Magic was. Magic is top 3 of all time and this punk is talking smack about him. Totally lost respect for Clyde, totally---he should be fined for making comments like this

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

The only thing that Clyde is correct about is that Isiah shouldve been on the team. What a disgrace to leave him off!
    Points Awarded:

paco gave will2survive 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Isiah Thomas or Michael Jordan. Isiah had no chance to be on the team.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Whats new? Most of these athletes are pretty shady and will stab their "friends" in the chest. (not literally of course)

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Clyde had been forgotten, at this point the only way for him to get invited onto the Jim Rome talk shows of America is to talk trash about legends.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Clyde Drexler was only right about one thing in his career. " We are going to portland 1-1 for 3 games and we aren't coming back" After his loser team port tied the finals 1-1 with detroit. They lost all 3 games at home lmao lmao. He was right though.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

I remember when I didn't even have cable tv and Clyde played against Jimmy V and North Carolina State. Clyde was supposed to be the leader of Phi Slamma Jamma and he had 4 fouls early in the championship game (only allowed 5) and he had a lousy game and NC State upset the Cougars

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Par for the course. Guy's always been scum.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Damn, everyone must think Drexler was some scrub or something when he played.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    Damn, everyone must think Drexler was some scrub or something when he played.
    Drexler was undoubtedly a very good player, but I'm not surprised at all by these comments given interviews I've read and seen of his through the years.

ttwarrior1

sorry but i agree with clyde

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post

Racist

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    and fat people are athletic

ttwarrior1

some are william but it has nothing to do with the thread. You are pathetic, i am athlete,
    Im a dogfart sampla