Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

NBA officiating is a mess!

Here is my theory... In the old days of Magic, Bird and to a lesser extent Jordan, basketball was a physical game. If you got fouled there was a mark left or some blood and you knew it was a foul. Players could walk over to the FT line before the whistle was blown and know the call was coming.

Today, EVERYTHING can potentially be called a foul. I don't think the league is full if Tim Donagheys but refs are definitely deciding games even if it's by accident.

Examples: The no-calls against Lebron, twice, in the final seconds of game 2. The call against Harden's chest at the end of game three. Lesser examples: The four point play or any of the fouls on the three point shot follow-through. The announcers can't even agree if touching the shooter's hand after the ball is released it a foul or not. Wade's phantom fouls when he drives out of control to the hoop?

Are all these called correctly? Maybe. The point is it's all subjective now. There are more fouls to bring the scoring up. The sensitivity meter is so high it's out of the scope of what a couple men can meaure in real time. What is called a foul here by Ref So and So isn't a foul over here by another ref. What's a foul when Harden bodies up isnt a foul in the previous 6 quarters. It's too subjective and ruining the game IMO. Regardless of if Miami or OKC wins in 6 or 7 games, it's terrible that we can watch a 7 game series and not feel like the correct team won.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. So Stern, I know youre reading this ... check out the latest NBA contest.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kindred, and pronk

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

it's a flat out disgrace

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

There is some kind of edict that every call has to go LeBron's way.

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

Name:  303624_466363516725511_1431650256_n.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  49.9 KB

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

What makes me most angry is that people forget that Jordan and Pippen LIVED at the FT line EVERY SINGLE finals when they won. They shot more ft's every single series than their opponent.

I wonder what gambling forums were saying at that time. I never used the internet much then. Rigged! Bulls shoot 2 X more FT's than the Suns!

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Unreal. We have enough of these threads. Then one of the head honchos makes another.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Br0nxer, and 5mike5

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Unreal. We have enough of these threads. Then one of the head honchos makes another.
    Looker, It's June. Where would you make your posts if you couldn't complain about all the posts complaining about the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    What makes me most angry is that people forget that Jordan and Pippen LIVED at the FT line EVERY SINGLE finals when they won. They shot more ft's every single series than their opponent.

I wonder what gambling forums were saying at that time. I never used the internet much then. Rigged! Bulls shoot 2 X more FT's than the Suns!
    I agree. The books got beat up pretty good during the MJ runs too. I think this all started around the second tour of duty for Mike when they made the hip check rule. At that time he couldn't slash as much so the league took away the ability to touch him on his post jumpers. But still... players knew you don't touch Mike. Now, it's not the home team, the star, the quarter, I think it's just a crap shoot.
    Points Awarded:

Goat Milk gave Bill Dozer 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    Looker, It's June. Where would you make your posts if you couldn't complain about all the posts complaining about the refs.

Lots of complainers to reply to buddy.

It is a discussion forum correct? I'm adding to the other side of the discussion.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

The problem is now every player has learned that flopping should guarantee a call, and referees are rewarding it. They need to start handing out suspensions in all leagues for flopping, which should be reviewable after the game. It's embarrassing.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    The problem is now every player has learned that flopping should guarantee a call, and referees are rewarding it. They need to start handing out suspensions in all leagues for flopping, which should be reviewable after the game. It's embarrassing.
    Yea, the flops are a whole different joke. Apparently the only way to get the ref to call a charge now is to fall backwards like a pencil. No need to use your hands to play D...just cover your nuts.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    They seriously need to address the flopping.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5566

My biggest gripe with NBA refs are the stripes they are forced to wear. Black and white, how icky no wonder they cant do their jobs. Earth tones for the fall and winter, then it's pastel city for the spring playoffs!

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    I agree. The books got beat up pretty good during the MJ runs too. I think this all started around the second tour of duty for Mike when they made the hip check rule. At that time he couldn't slash as much so the league took away the ability to touch him on his post jumpers. But still... players knew you don't touch Mike. Now, it's not the home team, the star, the quarter, I think it's just a crap shoot.
    There have been some phantom calls but I think it's harder to officiate today's basketball than back in the day. There are more rules and there are better athletes (just in terms of speed, agility, etc, not necessarily skill). But in a 7 game series, usually the better team will prevail. The fact is every player has a reputation. Lebron and Wade are 2 of the top FT shooters per season in NBA history, and Harden for example, is a proven flopper. All that plays in the refs mind when he makes a call.

To be honest though, I thought game 3 was pretty physical. Wade was going to the rim constantly in the first half--looked like a lot of contact down there and he missed 10 layups in the first half. Back in 06, Wade would have gotten those calls for sure.

I remember game 7, Boston Lakers in 2010. Man, that was the most physical gm I think I've ever seen in a finals. Bryant got absolutely no calls through the first three quarters. LA was going over the back constantly in the 4th for offensive rebounds, put backs--no calls, they kind of just let it play out til finally Boston was in the penalty midway through the 4th.

As far as the Lebron call, they will never call that at the end of an NBA finals game. the reason why is because Lebron stayed on the ground while durant elevated. Durant's elevation permitted him to get a clean shot off. Lebron hit him in the ribs and below the waste, but didn't touch the arm on the release, and didn't jump to contest the shot. As far as the James Harden, its just a bonehead play to put yourself in that position. Harden needs to understand that Lebron is the face of the NBA. If it comes down to a questionable call between a player like harden and a superstar like James...well I don't have to tell you what will happen.

The NBA is definitely going to change. Flopping is not going to be tolerated in the future. You can bet on that.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Lebron keeps getting all the calls- that's all that matters.