Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11151

Would Tony Parker be a Superstar if he was in a big market city?

Ok, he's already a superstar just by playing in the NBA but could you imagine if this kid played in LA, Chicago, or NY??? He's been mired in ignominy of a small market SA.

The_Kid
    The_Kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1930

He'd probably be marketable with his wife too. He gets credit but I don't think he gets enough. I always hear Duncan AND Parker. It's never Parker and Duncan. No offense to Duncan, but Parker is just as good now, if not better. Duncan has always been a solid player but he is on the downside of his career now and Parker is in his prime. After watching today, I don't think any guard can stay in front of him. Dallas was keying on Parker the entire game and he still scored 40+ points. I know they lost but if his jump shot is falling, then he's pretty much unstoppable because defenders can't sag off him for his driving ability.

whatisit
    whatisit's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think it has more to do with playing with a all time great like Duncan than it does the city. We saw this with Kobe, very few people wanted to give him credit when he played with Shaq. Although at this point it's pretty obvious...Parker > Duncan

Mac4Lyfe

Parker has carried the team all year long. It's almost a sham to see how little Ginobli has contributed compared to Parker. He should donate half his salary to Parker.

IGotDi$
    IGotDi$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

parker I$ the man. I feel people who really know hoop know exactly how great he I$. I think that he I$ arguably the be$t point guard in the league and ye$ if he wa$ in a big market he'd be all over mags and commercial$. Hi$ talent , attitude and no off the court b.$. he'd be the man to market big time.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Parker is a foreigner, which makes companies scared to endorse him. Fearing that America wouldnt embrace him. Parker looks like a African-America, but is far from it. It seems the league doesnt try to market oversees talent, except Yao Ming. Hell look at Dirk, he played in a Finals, was MVP, plays in Dallas(big market), but still gets no attention on a marketing standpoint from the league, except Yao.

IGotDi$

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Parker is a foreigner, which makes companies scared to endorse him. Fearing that America wouldnt embrace him. Parker looks like a African-America, but is far from it. It seems the league doesnt try to market oversees talent, except Yao Ming. Hell look at Dirk, he played in a Finals, was MVP, plays in Dallas(big market), but still gets no attention on a marketing standpoint from the league, except Yao.
    good point

Mac4Lyfe

I think Dirk doesn't get the endorsements because he's ugly as sin. Same for Gasol. Maybe because American's hate the French is the reasoning behind Parker. Good point that I never really thought about.

Rixsaw
    Rixsaw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Parker is not a mega-star because he is over shadowed by Duncan. CP3 WAS a mega-star last year because the rest of the team is mediocre at best.

Mac4Lyfe

Yeah but even Duncan is not a megastar. Him and David Robinson would be running for congress and president if they were in NY or Chicago. I think SA did them all a bad favor. Dead end city.

IGotDi$

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I think Dirk doesn't get the endorsements because he's ugly as sin. Same for Gasol. Maybe because American's hate the French is the reasoning behind Parker. Good point that I never really thought about.