Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

More Than An Entire Minute A Game Elapses Out Of Play

The clock doesn't stop after a shot is made, unless the ball goes into the stands or rolls across court, then the ref will stop play

-Team A makes a shot, ball bounces away from the baseline, Team B is in no hurry to go after it and inbound so they take their time recovering it, there is 10 seconds of idleness, meanwhile the game clock never stops ticking
    or
    -Team A makes a shot, there is uncertainty about who on Team B is supposed to inbound, so Team B looks around at each other for 10 seconds before someone finally goes back, game clock never stops ticking
    Happens about 4x a game 10 seconds each = 40 seconds

-Even when the ball is inbounded promptly after a made shot, there is at least a half second elapsed every single time.
    At least 70 total shots are made a game = 38 seconds minimum

78 seconds a game is worth about 5 points of time for an average total

I wouldn't know how the books factor this into the line. I just did a real rough estimation, but to get a true average of how many seconds are wasted a game, tape for hundreds of games would need to be watched and recorded manually, since this isn't tracked on any stat sheet.

Even if 78 seconds were way off, there is at absolute minimum 30 seconds wasted beyond any doubt. That's still worth 2 points of time, obviously favoring under

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Hmmmm. This is interesting, never even crossed my mind in the slightest.

Still highly doubt oddsmakers take this into consideration.

Maybe someone out there more knowledgeable can chime in..?

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

I've noticed that, especially 'under' teams.. in no hurry to get the ball moving, and literally I count - 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and then the shot clock starts... nice on the unders for sure.... but yes essentially it's built in...

Another interesting total premise in an over you'd rather have a team miss so that the fast breaking team will do its thing and create the pace...

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Actually you to have to factor in free throws where points are scored and the clock does not move.

Evens out I guess.

panik
    panik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3139

I noticed this so many times before. Gameclock definitely keeps going but the shutclock stops like it should. It makes you think really if those guys controlling the gameclock is betting. Shouldn't there be like a violation of delay of game?

The only time I see the gameclock stops and pretty accurate is at the end of games like last 2 minutes.

panik
    panik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3139

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Paz View Post
    Actually you to have to factor in free throws where points are scored and the clock does not move.

Evens out I guess.
    Lol no.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Surely linesmakers take all this into consideration when creating the line. They have it down to a science.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

There could just be a flat deduction, say 3 points (45 seconds), for "stoppage" and any real difference from true stoppage would be negligible and basically impossible to determine

Unders get fuked by OT, but that is easily built into the line.
    Overs get fuked when you lose by .5 and they dribble the clock out with 20 seconds left and you figure another 45 seconds that was wasted, and may or may not have been factored into the line, would easily have been enough to cover

Last night Den/GS game was the worst case of stoppage I've ever seen. Likely 90+ seconds wasted and over lost by .5 with a run out the clock