blanco
    blanco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1143

Point shaving in the NBA

So there has been a lot of evidence from the Bulls Celtics game and many others this year that point shaving does exists. My question is...why? Why would players be involved in this? I'm not denying it happens, just don't understand why. Why would pierce and rondo try to lose by enough to cover the closing spread? What's in it for them? Most of the money probably went on the celtics at +7 and +7.5 anyways.

dwluv3333
    dwluv3333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

if i were an NBA player and someone told me to lose to cover a spread... id say f\*\*k you b1otch i'm already paid i'm winning this ish

truth be told most NBA players can't do math... how the hell are they gonna rig games.

if i were an NBA player and wanted to rig I would rather rig my own personal totals. get a buddy to bet a million on me to go over pts+ast+reb and then I go under on purpose.

brainfreeze0
    brainfreeze0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 962

What I don't understand is point shaving was started on favored teams. They did it like that so the teams would still win and not lose their place in the standings. Why ppl think that teams that are underdogs would point shave, especially when fighting for playoff contention, makes no sense to me. Thats just me though...

dwluv3333

people on this forum love to blame others for their problems

like they think kenyon martin went on 5dimes on his laptop during halftime of the clips-kings game and found out he had to hit that meaningless 3 pointer to cover some clippers 2H spread

blanco

http://economics.stanford.edu/files/.../Gibbs2007.pdf

This is a long read but is very well-written. Im about 1/3 through right now

brainfreeze0

Quote Originally Posted by blanco View Post
    http://economics.stanford.edu/files/.../Gibbs2007.pdf

This is a long read but is very well-written. Im about 1/3 through right now

Does it focus on the origins of point shaving with the college teams. You see, I could see point shaving existing more in college where the players dont earn money, but NBA players are scrutinized. As one poster stated, why would they wait until the end of the 4th to shave where it would be more obvious. The shaving would make more sense at key parts throughout the entire game where it could be attributed to a lapse in judgement. Why try to squeeze it all into the last minute. Do they think the players on both teams are colluding to make things happen? Of course I'd be considered naive for not believing it exist. It's the officials I'm more worried about. They can easily stir the course of a game. These players make millions of dollars in their professional career and at some point someone would blow the whistle on being approached by somene to shave the points.

dwluv3333

I can see refs influencing overs/unders more than they can influence close spreads... calling fouls, violations and the sort can easily slow down or quicken the pace/scoring opportunities depending on how tightly or loosely the game is being called.

blanco

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze0 View Post
    Does it focus on the origins of point shaving with the college teams. You see, I could see point shaving existing more in college where the players dont earn money, but NBA players are scrutinized. As one poster stated, why would they wait until the end of the 4th to shave where it would be more obvious. The shaving would make more sense at key parts throughout the entire game where it could be attributed to a lapse in judgement. Why try to squeeze it all into the last minute. Do they think the players on both teams are colluding to make things happen? Of course I'd be considered naive for not believing it exist. It's the officials I'm more worried about. They can easily stir the course of a game. These players make millions of dollars in their professional career and at some point someone would blow the whistle on being approached by somene to shave the points.
    Almost everything you said is what I thought, which is why I don't get why an underdog team fighting for playoff seeding would point shave with 25 seconds left at the end of the game. Yet there is some decently-strong evidence of sketchiness at the end of the bulls Cs game tonight. Obviously each of those events could have happened individually without any bad-intentions...but it does seem a little questionable.

dwluv3333

what specifically happened that looked shady? ray allen fouling?

brainfreeze0

Quote Originally Posted by dwluv3333 View Post
    what specifically happened that looked shady? ray allen fouling?
    Thats what I was wondering. Ray Allen fouls in hopes they miss 2 and can get off a shot to foul again for misses. When Noah makes the 2 FT's with a 7 point lead there is no more chance to come back with 6.5 sec's left. Was it Rondo throwing the ball out? He thought Allen was gonna cut back while his defender would keep going leaving him for an open 3 and read it wrong.

dwluv3333

Have you ever watched a game in which the team you backed has absolutely no chance of covering, but you watch all the way to the end "just in case"?

I believe NBA players, when they foul, have the same mentality. Anything to stop the clock... you never know what can happen.

I'm sure Rondo cares too much about his assists/game to carelessly throw away a pass like that

Oh and it's amazing how Boston gets to play the Bulls 3 times with no D Rose this season and they only win 1 of 4. FEELSGOODMAN

brainfreeze0

Not only that, but think of the pressure at this point where it all comes down to ZERO mistakes or else you lose it for your team when the clock is down to nill to get it done amd every hundredth of a second is important and you don't have time to think you just have to do... that's where they were at. It's easy for us to scrutinize when the pressure isn't on us and we're not the ones playing.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by dwluv3333 View Post

if i were an NBA player and wanted to rig I would rather rig my own personal totals. get a buddy to bet a million on me to go over pts+ast+reb and then I go under on purpose.
    lol, no one can bet a million on an NBA side, let alone a player prop.

Player props aren't worth rigging because the limits are so low.

dwluv3333

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    lol, no one can bet a million on an NBA side, let alone a player prop.

Player props aren't worth rigging because the limits are so low.
    r u sure about this? doesn't floyd mayweather bet like a million on an nba game? i would have thought actually going to vegas would allow you to make such ridiculous wagers

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I'm pretty sure you can't bet a million on a player prop, yeah. Whether you're in Vegas or elsewhere.

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

Do we really need another thread on this bullshit? Leave this crap to NoCoin.

WiseGrumpy
    Got banned, wow
    WiseGrumpy's Avatar Become A Pro!

You guys need to drop this shit already. This entire planet in corrupt. I doubt that players actualy go through this whole process in a game, but I'm sure 100% that there is no team, or league in the world that is really clean. Us as a gamblers just need to be on the right side.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Quote Originally Posted by blanco View Post
    So there has been a lot of evidence from the Bulls Celtics game and many others this year that point shaving does exists. My question is...why? Why would players be involved in this? I'm not denying it happens, just don't understand why. Why would pierce and rondo try to lose by enough to cover the closing spread? What's in it for them? Most of the money probably went on the celtics at +7 and +7.5 anyways.
    No idea either. What I do know is that Pierce gambles. My friend here in Boston knows a bookie that takes his action. That I do know for a fact, what he bets on I don't know.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

they fouled noah out of habit, maybe he would miss both free throws and they'd still have a chance. but when he made both of them they gave up because they (celtics) were losing by too much to recover from.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Quote Originally Posted by WiseGrumpy View Post
    You guys need to drop this shit already. This entire planet in corrupt. I doubt that players actualy go through this whole process in a game, but I'm sure 100% that there is no team, or league in the world that is really clean. Us as a gamblers just need to be on the right side.
    Yes and thank you. Amen

saratoga1927
    saratoga1927's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze0 View Post
    Orlando would be a perfect example of what you say about shaving during the game - they got buried - "oh well they had a bad game". I don't believe for a millisecond that NBA games are fixed - this isn't 1919. Players make way way way too much money to be dumping
    (how would you have to pay a player to dump a game and after you paid him where would you get all the outs you need to get down for enough to make it worth while?)