WPS2012
    WPS2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Not very successful lately using RLM strategy

I'm sorta new to NBA betting and have used this strategy a little but lately I haven't been successful at all with it. I know reverse line movement should not be done blindly. My goal is to follow the sharp money but the majority of the games that I have followed RLM and ended up betting haven't hit. Some games weren't even close to hitting and were blowouts. I know there is no magic system or strategy that produces profit, but geez some games where I tried to follow sharp money weren't even close. I'm obviously missing some things when reading lines and following RLM. Anybody have some advice on this with NBA betting or have experienced the same thing lately?

Dividend
    Dividend's Avatar Become A Pro!

How do you define RLM, what are your parameters for a 'system bet'? What is your sample size/What is your record?

vasilli07
    vasilli07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10601

I will only use RLM as a guide only if 80-85% or higher bets on a certain team and the spread doesn't move or become lower. Anything lower, I won't consider.

WPS2012

Quote Originally Posted by Dividend View Post
    How do you define RLM, what are your parameters for a 'system bet'? What is your sample size/What is your record?
    I define RLM as when the line moves the opposite direction of what the majority of the public is betting on. For example the other night I think it was the Cavs +10 or something like that against the sixers. I can't remember the exact number but somewhere between 62-66% of public bets were placed on sixers. The line then moved to +9. That would def be RLM right ? Or do I have this completely backwards? (be easy on the noobie). As far as parameters, that is something that I haven't really set in stone yet. Normally I like to look at games that have somewhere in the range of 2500-3000+ bets and I have kind of went with a public % of at least 64-70% of bets placed on one side. I wanna say for the past 10 days or so Im like 2-7 following the RLM strategy. Not very good. Fortunately I don't make huge bets, so not greatly effected by the losses.

WPS2012

Quote Originally Posted by vasilli07 View Post
    I will only use RLM as a guide only if 80-85% or higher bets on a certain team and the spread doesn't move or become lower. Anything lower, I won't consider.
    So if 85% of the public is betting on team A and the line doesn't change then you are going with team B? Am I correct ?

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

You'll hit around 50% using RLM, therefore it shouldnt be used.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    You'll hit around 50% using RLM, therefore it shouldnt be used.
    Problem is it can't be used "situationally," and sites can't be trusted for public numbers, and you have to decide what % of the public constitutes a RLM play in the first place. Too many variables. RLM is too subjective to even define.

JohnRingo
    JohnRingo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 197

RLM from last night:

Minn@Char +6
    Det-1.5@cle

that I remember, both winners

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Problem is it can't be used "situationally," and sites can't be trusted for public numbers, and you have to decide what % of the public constitutes a RLM play in the first place. Too many variables. RLM is too subjective to even define.
    Exactly, some sites use different books, some use a couple, some use quite a few, and still who knows if they numbers are correct, I have a hard time believing that someone who wants my money is giving me something that is helpful, would be like the colonel giving the chicken a head's up before he kills him.
    Last edited by BernardMadoff; 03-29-12 at 08:05 PM.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    Exactly, some sites use different books, some use a couple, some use quite a few, and still who knows if they numbers are correct, I have a hard time believing that someone who wants my money is giving me something that is useful, would be like the colonel giving the chicken a head's up before he kills him.
    Definitely in this day and age. Books have adjusted to all of the information that's now available to the public and wasn't 5-10 years ago. They've gotten smarter; sports betting isn't as easy as just blindly following whatever you may define as RLM anymore.

vasilli07
    vasilli07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10601

Quote Originally Posted by WPS2012 View Post
    So if 85% of the public is betting on team A and the line doesn't change then you are going with team B? Am I correct ?
    I won't say I will definitely hit it but I will take the game into consideration for my bets.

There are other things I will take into consideration, player injuries, form and etc before deciding on a game.
    Last edited by vasilli07; 03-29-12 at 08:26 PM.

WPS2012

A problem I have found with internet sites that present this kind of information is that 3 or 4 different sites will have extremely contradicting numbers. I understand that some sites get info from several different books and some get it from only one book, but I don't see how one website could be so extremely off from another website. I would expect some variation between sites but not as dramatic as I have seen it. Makes me question accuracy.