Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Bottom line is if they truly wanted even action, you wouldn't see so many games with 65%-85% on one team. Every day in the NBA there is usually at least two or three games with 70% or more action on one side.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Bottom line is if they truly wanted even action, you wouldn't see so many games with 65%-85% on one team. Every day in the NBA there is usually at least two or three games with 70% or more action on one side.
    But that says nothing about the dollar amount on each side.

4seasons
    4seasons's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by YouHave2outs View Post
    knowing which side has the wagers that are on average 4x larger has to help a little in certain situations? is that wrong? unless some of the richest people in the world are all for some reason unloading on one game for entertainment value.
    My example was meant to illustrate that just because the majority of people are backing one side, doesn't mean the majority of cash dollars is as well. Thus, just because your told 80% are betting on one side, doesn't mean the money isn't even on both sides.

When you go to the track, they show how much money is being wagered on each entry. It's known as the money wagered goes into a pool. No matter who wins, whether the 1:1 fave or 50:1 longshot, the track takes it's commission from the pool, and divi's the money left over by the number of winning tickets sold. It's really simply math.

The Books don't tell you how much money they're handling, and/or how much is being wagered on each bet, such as what the stock market does on every trade. The Books conceal this info for obvious reasons.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Quote Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post
    My example was meant to illustrate that just because the majority of people are backing one side, doesn't mean the majority of cash dollars is as well. Thus, just because your told 80% are betting on one side, doesn't mean the money isn't even on both sides.

When you go to the track, they show how much money is being wagered on each entry. It's known as the money wagered goes into a pool. No matter who wins, whether the 1:1 fave or 50:1 longshot, the track takes it's commission from the pool, and divi's the money left over by the number of winning tickets sold. It's really simply math.

The Books don't tell you how much money they're handling, and/or how much is being wagered on each bet, such as what the stock market does on every trade. The Books conceal this info for obvious reasons.
    And thats how businesses stay in business. People dont want to believe that though because freaky and tricky stuff happens during sporting events that boggles the mind, which makes them think the books are some mysterious all knowing entity, which couldnt be further from the truth.

4seasons

how is this in contrast to anything pr9 said or anything in that article? vegas bookmakers can predict the outcomes of the games better than the general public. they have very deep pockets. they are willing to take a risk on certain games knowing the public will hammer one side because they know in the long run it is making them A LOT of extra money.

what you said here supports the argument that they would set lines and welcome all the action on one side and take a risk on it. they want to clean everyone out, but they can't clean the degenerates fast enough if people are just losing juice! it'd take me fkn 200 $100 dollar bets to lose a grand assuming i hit 50% and all were -110. God forbid I get reduced juice. Then it takes me 400 bets! God forbid i only bet a couple games a night and sometimes not at all. At that point Vegas only get a $100 regular 50% bettor to lose a grand over the entire year. THEY WANT MORE!

Vegas doesn't make a bet on every game! There are certainly games theyre happy to have 50/50 action on and take juice. But when they have super deep pockets and the ability to predict the game significantly better than 99.9% of the public, it just makes sense to me they'd be willing to throw out a so called 'trap' line and clean out the suckers quicker in the long run.
    It's in contrast as the dude is under the illusion that what Vegas says is what Vegas does, and that what info Vegas gives you will help you pick a winner.

May seem like only 100 to you 'cause that's what your betting, but there's probably 100,000 others betting 100 too.

Vegas wins in the longrun, and is very happy to take a steady, significant influx. They're in no rush, yet they're never idle.

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Quote Originally Posted by BernardMadoff View Post
    Youre doing it wrong.
    Are you unable to show why I'm doing it wrong or just unwilling?

4seasons

i guess i should have qualified my comment by prefacing with 'this is just my opinion'.

this is just my opinion, but i believe Vegas is taking a risk on the Lakers/Suns tonight. Vegas is not moving the line with over 80% on Lakers. I think they just try to keep so called 'sharp' money 50/50, and if 70-80% of the so called 'squares'/long term losers are on one side so be it. They'll take the risk. Just my opinion, it seems logical to me. I have absolutely no proof of anything I said.
    Here we go all over again with the "80%" 80% of what exactly is on the Lakers? Where are you getting this 80%?

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post

Are you unable to show why I'm doing it wrong or just unwilling?
    I did on the first page near the end.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

This is a never ending debate. You have your opinion on the books, I have my own. Bottom line is we need to win money and beat the books. Sound fair?

4seasons

Can't believe people on here actually think that vegas is content with just winning off the juice. If they wanted even money then the Lakers line would have been driven up to -5. These bookies are here to make money, and they obviously liked the Suns. Just look at the score.
    Vegas is very content with the juice, or say 10% of the money handled. Gambling is for suckers. Vegas makes money from all the suckers. Vegas doesn't care if you bet the pass line or the don't pass at the craps table. Take your pick. They could care less, as they know eventually no matter what the sucker plays, the sucker loses. Thus, Vegas doesn't need to take any undue risk. They let the suckers take all the risk. How else is it that Vegas doesn't lose in the long run?

4seasons

Again with the percents These are not percents of dollars wagered. These are percents of people picking a side. Can you tell me what exactly the percents are that you're stating, and where you get them from?

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

That would only be the case if those were the betting percentages of a particular game and everybody bet the same exact dollar amount and every bet won or lost, being no pushes and that is never the case.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. If everyone bet the same dollar amount the winners would be 47%. But since the books take a position, and it's more often than not the right position, we see many, many more losers than 47%.

4seasons

And thats how businesses stay in business. People dont want to believe that though because freaky and tricky stuff happens during sporting events that boggles the mind, which makes them think the books are some mysterious all knowing entity, which couldnt be further from the truth.
    Thanks Bern, at least 1 person understands.

All that Vegas knows, is that some will bet one side, and others will bet the other side. All they have to do is put up the line, let the money roll in evenly, and let the suckers lose like they always have always will.

You and your enemy want to kill each other. You agree to a gunfight and put up a million dollars each. Last man alive wins the money. You ask a neutral party (let's call it Vegas) to hold the money, safekeep it, and pay it out at the end. For doing this, Vegas gets to keep 10% of the loser's mil for their troubles. Vegas knows that no matter who is left standing, they will also be standing, and they will also profit GUARANTEED!

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000

Over 50,000 bets on Heat game today, not including exotics, props, teasers, and parlays. Not sure what the average bet was, but who wouldn't want 4.5% off that one game?

rup
    rup's Avatar Become A Pro!

NBA players dont ever give it there all day in and day out.these players come out just trying to not get hurt. they get payed all this money and know they have made it to the top and they are happy now so i think betting NBA is the biggest bulls**t ever!!!! the only time they are going to play to their best of their ability is in the playoffs.

4seasons

This is a never ending debate. You have your opinion on the books, I have my own. Bottom line is we need to win money and beat the books. Sound fair?
    There are opinions, and there are facts. There is no debate unless you can present concrete facts.

As far as the bottom line, you can never win money and beat the books/Vegas in the long run. If you gamble, you're gambling to lose. If you by chance win, do you walk away and never make another wager the rest of your life? I don't think so. If you gamble and win, you keep gambling. You only stop gambling when you've lost it all.

The only way not to lose, is to not gamble. Vegas will tell you that you can't win, if you don't play. They don't say you can't lose if you don't play, do they?

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Another results based post after the fact, yes if they could they would be more than content on winning juice, do you realize how much money that is, do you see how many college basketball games are played each week, and thats just one sport on one level. Thats free money dropping in their lap, for what, putting out a number.
    i said it before the game bernard!

First 12