blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

every fortune cookie i get was made by some company in georgia

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 311

Lin seems to be easy going and intelligent, I don't think it would bother him, but if it were a different race they would be "outraged".

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Lin seems to be easy going and intelligent, I don't think it would bother him, but if it were a different race they would be "outraged".
    So you are saying the groids are more sensitive. Duly noted.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    every fortune cookie i get was made by some company in georgia

Can you imagine how stupid I felt the first time I ordered Chinese delivery here and they gave me a bag of prawn crackers and I'm asking where my fortune cookies are? The guy looked at me like I was insane. I should've known when the woman on the phone kept asking me to explain what I meant by egg roll. I thought it was just a communication issue. Ummm, no. No such thing. Spring roll, yes. Egg roll

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by balls2wall View Post

LOL, good example. That is a perfect example of a racist p.o.s.

Posting a pic of Lin with a fortune cookie is not racist. It is probably racially insensitive, but not racist. There is a big difference.
    wow u sound like a really fun dude-chill the fuk out already

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Everybody thinks it's funny, until their race gets made fun of..

jetsjets1028
    jetsjets1028's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1363

i dont see it being a big deal

Samson420
    Addicted....
    Samson420's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Racist or not, It's funny. Everyone always plays the race card. He prolly loves bein in the spotlight after being cut a few times.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by Samson420 View Post
    Racist or not, It's funny. Everyone always plays the race card. He prolly loves bein in the spotlight after being cut a few times.
    Yeah it's funny. Humour doesn't have many boundaries in my world.

But the folks at MSG should've known they'd get flack. Unfukkinreal

PS3
    Keyser Soze
    PS3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2795

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
    MSG is exempt from asian racism due to being named after the preservative that is loaded in Chinese Food.

Sharp post.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

this is getting out of hand.

when white guy is referred to as 'white chocolate' nobody takes offense to that. nor should they. just stupid.

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    wow u sound like a really fun dude-chill the fuk out already

LOL, what did I say?

A guy mentioned beantownjim and I confirmed he is a good example of what a racist is and that posting a pic of Lin and a cookie is not racist. I am not sure how I stepped over the line there. Maybe you should chill the fuk out already.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

God, this thread is full of fukking hamburgers.

You cannot compare a fortune cookie to a bomb or piece of fried chicken. If you do not understand why they are different then you're an absolute retard.

For those arguing fortune cookies are not Chinese and are in fact American, then how is it racist? If anything, it's just ignorant.

And as for "this would never happen to black players" of course it fukking wouldn't, they were enslaved you stupid fukks. They have come up through a lot of historical and modern struggles. Anyone stupid enough to be racist towards black NBA players clearly doesn't care much for their job. The Chinese have absolutely no precedent in this field so it's open season on them. There's a reason there isn't an Al Sharpton for the Chinese community; they have never needed one. They don't need one now either if everyone just relaxed.

It's people who are racist projecting their own racism, that's what is happening. "Hey, I can't make jokes about a Chinese person so no one else should be able to! Boo hoo!" Fukk off.

sickler
    Facade 101

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    God, this thread is full of fukking hamburgers.

You cannot compare a fortune cookie to a bomb or piece of fried chicken. If you do not understand why they are different then you're an absolute retard.

For those arguing fortune cookies are not Chinese and are in fact American, then how is it racist? If anything, it's just ignorant.

And as for "this would never happen to black players" of course it fukking wouldn't, they were enslaved you stupid fukks. They have come up through a lot of historical and modern struggles. Anyone stupid enough to be racist towards black NBA players clearly doesn't care much for their job. The Chinese have absolutely no precedent in this field so it's open season on them. There's a reason there isn't an Al Sharpton for the Chinese community; they have never needed one. They don't need one now either if everyone just relaxed.

It's people who are racist projecting their own racism, that's what is happening. "Hey, I can't make jokes about a Chinese person so no one else should be able to! Boo hoo!" Fukk off.
    The Chinese were discriminated against greatly in the US when they started immigrating to help with the railroads, gold rush. They were victims of a racist climate. The Chinese in San Fran. Fun times for them

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    we live in such a pussy world wtf is wrong with this

very true. I don't see any problem with this. why do we censor the paper and stuff like that? it's not like people are all nice and polite and politcally correct in real life.

Bad stuff happens all over the world , people are exposed to bad stuff on a daily basis. I see no problem with this.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post

The Chinese were discriminated against greatly in the US when they started immigrating to help with the railroads, gold rush. They were victims of a racist climate. The Chinese in San Fran. Fun times for them
    Not only in the US. I'm actually quite disappointed in keyer because he usually flies in with a relevant post. This time, no. And it's about our own country.

"On July 20, 1871, British Columbia became a province of Canada. In its first session after joining Confederation, the province passed an amendment to the Qualifications of Voters Act to disenfranchise Chinese and Indian voters. Even though the Chinese were not removed from the voters' list until 1875, in January 1873 they were prevented from voting in Nanaimo by being physically barred from the polling stations. The Colonist applauded the act as sensible, and referred to the Chinese as "heathen" slaves who had no right to stand side by side with other Canadians at the ballot box. This event, honourable senators, happened 13 years after the birth of the first Chinese in Canada.

In May 1873, the first anti-Chinese society was established in Victoria."

"The Leader of the Opposition, Alexander MacKenzie, stated:

...the principle that some classes of human family were not fit to be residents...would be dangerous and contrary to the Law of Nations and the policy which controlled Canada.

Canada had become dependent on the Chinese as a cheap source of labour. Chinese workmen were paid $1.35 per day, as compared to white workers at $2 per day.

In order to adapt to a hostile environment, the Chinese mobilized whatever resources were available to them, including remote kinship ties, which helped in their survival in a foreign land, as well as in building ethnic businesses. Chinese culture played an important role in the adaptation and survival of these immigrants in Canada.

Between 1881 and 1884, Chinese labourers were hired to work building the Canadian Pacific Railway. Seventeen thousand Chinese arrived in Canada to fill the severe labour shortage during its completion. Chinese labourers were paid half the wages of white labourers. Railway contractors found them through Chinese companies that recruited them from China, Hong Kong and the United States. Henry Cambie, the surveyor and engineer for the CPR, described them as "trained gangs of rock men, as good as I ever saw."

Chinese labour was indispensable to the economic development of British Columbia, as shown in the royal commission of 1885."

shari91

And actually I can't even read any more of that because I feel humiliated. We not only ravaged those who owned our land but we did the same to those who we "invited" over to work there. I'm ashamed. Not my parents, not me, but I know somehow my grandparents who made a fortune from constructing the CN railway benefited here. As did most of our parents in one way or another. Bloody hell, we're not a good lot really.

sickler
    Facade 101

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Not only in the US. I'm actually quite disappointed in keyer because he usually flies in with a relevant post. This time, no. And it's about our own country.

"On July 20, 1871, British Columbia became a province of Canada. In its first session after joining Confederation, the province passed an amendment to the Qualifications of Voters Act to disenfranchise Chinese and Indian voters. Even though the Chinese were not removed from the voters' list until 1875, in January 1873 they were prevented from voting in Nanaimo by being physically barred from the polling stations. The Colonist applauded the act as sensible, and referred to the Chinese as "heathen" slaves who had no right to stand side by side with other Canadians at the ballot box. This event, honourable senators, happened 13 years after the birth of the first Chinese in Canada.

In May 1873, the first anti-Chinese society was established in Victoria."

"The Leader of the Opposition, Alexander MacKenzie, stated:

...the principle that some classes of human family were not fit to be residents...would be dangerous and contrary to the Law of Nations and the policy which controlled Canada.

Canada had become dependent on the Chinese as a cheap source of labour. Chinese workmen were paid $1.35 per day, as compared to white workers at $2 per day.

In order to adapt to a hostile environment, the Chinese mobilized whatever resources were available to them, including remote kinship ties, which helped in their survival in a foreign land, as well as in building ethnic businesses. Chinese culture played an important role in the adaptation and survival of these immigrants in Canada.

Between 1881 and 1884, Chinese labourers were hired to work building the Canadian Pacific Railway. Seventeen thousand Chinese arrived in Canada to fill the severe labour shortage during its completion. Chinese labourers were paid half the wages of white labourers. Railway contractors found them through Chinese companies that recruited them from China, Hong Kong and the United States. Henry Cambie, the surveyor and engineer for the CPR, described them as "trained gangs of rock men, as good as I ever saw."

Chinese labour was indispensable to the economic development of British Columbia, as shown in the royal commission of 1885."
    Yeah Shari, I know more about what happened to the Chinese in Canada than the US. Bad enough that many won't celebrate/recognize Canada Day.

BTW Shari, I went overboard with something the other day. My apologies. Was going to PM but I gave my word about something regarding PM's almost a year ago. I truly am a man of my word.

shari91

Yeah Shari, I know more about what happened to the Chinese in Canada than the US. Bad enough that many won't celebrate/recognize Canada Day.

BTW Shari, I went overboard with something the other day. My apologies. Was going to PM but I gave my word about something regarding PM's almost a year ago. I truly am a man of my word.
    Ah, I'm not sure what you're referring to but it's all good. The forums get the best of us at times. I just don't have the chance to keep up with it all any more but apology ACCEPTED YOU PRICK xo

This stuff though has really upset me. I knew it but not as a proper adult. Man, we were pricks. This is really bad.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Most people sensitive to race comments are very insecure
    The average person is very weak in life
    Strong people make money off weak people

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

When you've got a generally ignorant audience, you become an ignorant news source.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Oh, give me a fukking break. This is a fukking ridiculous comparison, the plight of the Asian man vs. the black man in America.

You guys are trying to come off looking morally and intellectually superior when you're just being ridiculous. I hope there is never a Native American NFL player on the Redskins or an NHL player on the Blackhawks or your panties are going to get in a real bunch, eh?

This isn't some great struggle of an Asian player breaking barriers, he's being praised, not insulted. What a fukking disaster society has become when everyone has to apologize to everyone else for things done in the past that none of us had any control over. If you're going to feel bad about everything ever done I don't know how you don't just kill yourself because the world is an ugly place full of depraved exploitation, so the next time you want to use a holier than thou attitude I hope you don't own, purchase, or support any of the horrible corporations who to this day carry out the same horrors you are condemning.
    Last edited by keyboarding; 02-16-12 at 03:01 PM.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    this is getting out of hand.

when white guy is referred to as 'white chocolate' nobody takes offense to that. nor should they. just stupid.
    c'mon man, be real. white chocolate is actually a complement. that just means that a white dude is smoother than the usual uncoordinated white dudes.

putting lin's face on a fortune cookie is more comparable to a headline that says, "jimbo smith feeding the masses in msg" and putting his face on a cracker. would that not be a big deal? some of you just don't get it.

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

nvm

kingJD summed it up best on the first page

"we live in such a pussy world"
    Last edited by balls2wall; 02-16-12 at 04:43 PM.

ImakeBets
    ImakeBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Let me ask you this, if it was Steve Nash's photo above the fortune cookie, would anyone blink an eye?

So deciding not putting Jeremy Lin above the fortune cookie, wouldn't that be reverse racism?

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    we live in such a pussy world wtf is wrong with this
    this.

if you're offended, throw yourself in with the other pussies in this world. geezus, grow a pair people

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Quote Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
    Then I assume putting a black player over a piece of fried chicken would be ok for you too?

Ricky Rubio and Pau Gasol holding some Taco'sEven though Spainarid food is completely different from mexicans.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7847

i think that ad was more offensive in its lack of creativity than anything else.

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5033

Just like the Honey Badger, The Yellow Mamba takes what he wants.

texhooper

also the black people and fried chicken thing doesn't work because white people made fun of black people for eating fried chicken (even though it's delicious. total head-scratcher.). fortune cookies are served in every chinese restaurant in america. no matter what you order, you're going to get one on top of your check in the little black tray. and there is no real stigma against them. not that i'm aware of at least. and if we create one, we all might have to deal with our favorite chinese spot ceasing to carry fortune cookies. and that would be a tragedy.

let's not make this more than it is people. do it for the future of fortune cookies.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Who gives a fuk

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Quote Originally Posted by parexa View Post
    i think brian scalabrainie and jeremy lin are both superheros. they are off the charts cool

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    also the black people and fried chicken thing doesn't work because white people made fun of black people for eating fried chicken (even though it's delicious. total head-scratcher.). fortune cookies are served in every chinese restaurant in america. no matter what you order, you're going to get one on top of your check in the little black tray. and there is no real stigma against them. not that i'm aware of at least. and if we create one, we all might have to deal with our favorite chinese spot ceasing to carry fortune cookies. and that would be a tragedy.

let's not make this more than it is people. do it for the future of fortune cookies.
    Fortune cookies weren't created by the chinese

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....pan-not-china/

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by TehSharp View Post
    Fortune cookies weren't created by the chinese

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....pan-not-china/
    i didn't say they were. everyone knows real chinese cuisine is not topped off with a goddamn fortune cookie. my point is that if they hand you a fortune cookie at every single chinese restaurant in america, then you're not playing off of a negative stereotype by creating some kind of fortune cookie/jeremy lin connection. in other words, this is not like having a black guy's head on a chicken or whatever people were saying earlier.

jesus christ.

First 123 Last