hangtime
    hangtime's Avatar Become A Pro!

jeremy Lin is "clutch"

Im still amazed how Jeremy Lin went un-drafted in the NBA. He is the only california state high school player of the year to not receive a D-I athletic scholarship. He then leads harvard to its best season in 50 yrs. Lin dominated the 1st rnd pnt guards from uconn, BC and georgetown to mention a few. He then dominates summer league outplaying john wall to earn a minimum contract. He dominates D-league, earns a minimum contract with GS only to not get playing time. Now the only chance he gets some real playing time with the knicks, he comes in and carries the team including tonight outplaying john wall again without melo and a-stud. This guy has been clutch with only one chance to make at it, at every level hes played. How the f**k wasnt he drafted?

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

every1 wanted the athletic black guys
    or the tall white europeans
    no1 wanted to draft the nerdy asian dude

marcusmv3
    marcusmv3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 286

Well let's get one thing straight - he was the only California state HS POY to not get a D-I scholarship for a very simple reason, he chose to compete in a league that does not offer athletic scholarships. Ivy League schools typically find need-based aide for their athletes, not always the case though as it is strictly need-based.

And he didn't get drafted IMO because there has never been a successful American born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent in the NBA and I think most teams were too afraid to take the "plunge" so to speak. But one thing is clear the kid can play and he is exactly what the Knicks need right now, a true PG.

jsmithj88

he was the only "player of the year in cali" that wasnt offered a scholarship, so its not like he passed it up to go to harvard
    he went there because it was his best option

nba drafts are exactly wat i said earlier:
    every1 wanted the athletic black guys
    or the tall white europeans
    no1 wanted to draft the nerdy asian dude

marcusmv3

He seriously had no offers outside of Harvard or other Ivy League schools?

bureK
    OKCity
    bureK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

marcusmv3

Then he's been overlooked not only by most of the NBA but since coming out of high school by most upper tier D-I leagues, would think at least an A-10 school or something around that level with good academics would be able to snag him. Just did a quick wiki -

'Joe Lacob, incoming Warriors' owner and Stanford booster, said Stanford's failure to recruit Lin "was really stupid. The kid was right across the street. You can’t recognize that, [then] you've got a problem."Kerry Keating, the UCLA assistant who offered Lin the opportunity to walk-on, would say in hindsight that Lin would probably have ended up starting at point guard for UCLA.'

Good luck to him.

jsmithj88

After receiving no athletic scholarship offers out of high school and being undrafted out of college, the Harvard University graduate reached a partially guaranteed contract deal with his hometown Golden State Warriors.

In his senior year in 2005–2006, Lin captained
    Palo Alto High School to a 32–1 record and upset nationally ranked Mater Dei, 51–47, for the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Division II state title.[3][4] According to Dana O'Neil of ESPN, "... Lin was the runaway choice for player of the year by virtually every California publication."[5] He was named first-team All-State and Northern California Division II Player of the Year ending his senior year averaging 15.1 points, 7.1 assists, 6.2 rebounds and 5.0 steals.[3]

Lin sent his resume and a DVD of highlights to all the Ivy League schools, Cal, Stanford, and his dream school, UCLA.[6] The Pac-10 schools wanted him to walk-on. Harvard and Brown were the only teams that guaranteed him a spot on their basketball teams, but Ivy League schools do not offer athletic scholarships.[7][8] Lin chose to attend Harvard.

jsmithj88

Quote Originally Posted by marcusmv3 View Post
    He seriously had no offers outside of Harvard or other Ivy League schools?
    sounds like u did wat every1 had done to jeremy lin.
    u assumed something before u got all the info
    tsk tsk.

marcusmv3

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    sounds like u did wat every1 had done to jeremy lin.
    u assumed something before u got all the info
    tsk tsk.
    Don't know why this even matters, I support the kid, think he can do well. I assumed he would have had offers outside of the Ivy League but I was wrong, oh well. Still doesn't mean he can't be successful in the NBA.

jsmithj88

Quote Originally Posted by marcusmv3 View Post
    Don't know why this even matters, I support the kid, think he can do well. I assumed he would have had offers outside of the Ivy League but I was wrong, oh well. Still doesn't mean he can't be successful in the NBA.
    too early too tell if hes gonna be a real player
    hes started 3 games against bad teams
    we will find out soon enuff

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

"Bad teams". Yes overall these teams are not good, but these are NBA players. Any of these teams can beat any other NBA team on a given night. They are all professionals. Derons Williams is awesome. John Wall is good. Devin Harris is ok.