Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wnba 8/20

The lines are LA -6 and CON -9.5. I have LA by 7 and CON by 9.5. No lineoffs to speak of. Based on a 7-13 season record for HF's in this situation I would fade LA, IF this weren't an absolute must-win for them. SEA may have LA's number, having beaten them 3 of 4 times this year, including the one game in LA. This will be one heck of a battle. SEA doesn't want game 3 at Staples Center, so they should be all-or-nothing mode as well.

I do have a total for the LA game that is significantly lower than the posted total of 151 or 150. For game one between these teams my projected total of 156 was exactly the same as the real total, which means that the system accurately reflects the tempo between these two teams.

How will LA approach a must win situation? With stingy defense. Here is how many points they have given up at home since 7/5: 62-60-64-62-58-59. Provided this will be a close game, ending within roughly a 10 pt spread, then even if LA would give up 65 points, that would give them about 75 points, for a total well under the posted total.

Nobody on an UNDER wants to see a lot of FT's. Especially in an elimination game a team can continue to foul at the end of the game, long after it no longer makes any sense. To avoid that I'm taking the UNDER for the 1H. The scenario that will beat this 1H UNDER is when both teams come out on fire. But I think that there is too much on the line for that, and that early nervousness (for at least one team) will prevent that.

LA 1H UNDER 72.5

Warning - This may have been overanalyzed. I usually don't like neatly packaged picks. I haven't placed the wager yet, and may just play LA to blow out SEA. lol.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-19-06 at 11:49 PM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i don't like betting chalk, but i do like LA in this one.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Halftime. CON shooting 29%, WAS 36%; CON still up 1 pt: 34-33.

CON should take control in 2H. No way they keep shooting this bad.

2H CON -6

I wouldn't make this play if WAS didn't have three players with 3 fouls.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-20-06 at 01:36 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

2H CON -6
    CON 68-65 - loss

No comment. TV analysts are doing a fine job ripping the zebras apart.
    WNBA commentators are much more honest than in NBA. And Becky looks good!
    ABC no longer had mikes near the coaches though. lol.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-20-06 at 02:55 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I waited until late and got U73.5 for 1H.
    Teams had 48 pts after 1Q... Red hot 3-pt shooting by SEA.

Then, with 8 seconds left in the half and 73 pts, the f*cking refs, who handed out a total of 26 FT's (UNDER is rare when FT's are on over 50 per game pace), give a technical...
    Ball bounces around the rim three times... MISS!!!! That was unbelievable! Whoohooo!!!

LA U73.5 - winner
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-20-06 at 05:09 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Halftime:
    SEA 40-33...
    Shooting SEA 44% and LA 29%.
    Normally, this is a recipe for closing the gap.

Don't like the spread. How do books offer a LA -6, which means they have to win by 8 pts?

Pass.

Still thinking about the U77 for 2H. Looks promising, because this is going to get ugly. Just worried about the FT's. Any thoughts? Or is this my Sunday afternoon monologue?
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-20-06 at 05:07 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Game went under (148 total, 2 pts under), but came down to final missed layup. LA took care of business 78-70. SEA failed to score a field goal for a stretch of almost 14 minutes. This sets up a great game 3. Early lean: LA. Doh...

Note - Lisa Leslie is not only the best player in the WNBA, but also the most graceful in the way she moves.