NoHero
    NoHero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

Betting against the Public

How good of a strategy is it if I were to take the top 3 public wagers each night and fade them? Has anyone tried this? I just started tracking it tonight and was curious if anyone has any experience/tips.

Top 3 public plays (1/10/11):

1. Dallas -5.5 (Public Win)
    2. OKC -3 (Public Win)
    3. MIA -7.5 (In progress)

Obviously it's not off to a great start but who knows how it will work long run.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

It all balances out

Frozenropes25
    Frozenropes25's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 437

its very trendy...some days public wins out other days public loses...other variables have to be factored

SiMON2g
    SiMON2g's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 855

I checked for a few days in a row, taking the home team if the public didn't favour them and it went 5-1 on that day. So far today it's 1-3

Trendy was mentioned above, that's the best description of it.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

these experiments never work. some days good, some days bad. in the end it all evens out.

mikea33
    Why Canucks, why?
    mikea33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

It does not even out. If you were to track all the public plays, over time the public would clearly be in the red at some point. even if it was close, the juice would kick in..........'the lights are bright in vegas for a reason'

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Of the various situational angles that I use in capping NBA games, betting against the public is pretty far down the list of importance. You'd be far better off considering factors that are directly related to the matchup at hand...

YOUSENKO
    YOUSENKO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Public usually loses more than 80% of time if the bets for a particular team are too overwhelming for the books to handle. This add to the fact if the line dosen't move alot too. If its slightly heavy sometimes the popular team still covers. Remember books operate in cartel similar to diamond and oil trade. They know each other's volume for each matchup. You know the game will then be rigged to clean up.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

Quote Originally Posted by YOUSENKO View Post
    Public usually loses more than 80% of time if the bets for a particular team are too overwhelming for the books to handle. This add to the fact if the line dosen't move alot too. If its slightly heavy sometimes the popular team still covers. Remember books operate in cartel similar to diamond and oil trade. They know each other's volume for each matchup. You know the game will then be rigged to clean up.
    i'm sorry sir, but this is not true.

southpaw74
    southpaw74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

Quote Originally Posted by YOUSENKO View Post
    Have another cocktail to try and forget that nonsense...

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Public went wild tonight.

Heat, Sixers, Mavs, Thunder, Jazz, Bulls were all lopsided public plays. Only one they lost was Spurs.

YOUSENKO
    YOUSENKO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

haha if my statement is untrue then all the books including SBR had closed down today. Major league games are in millions, imagine 950k is on a team and 50k is on opposing team. Any form of hedging is useless in this case. They won't even allow let such lopsided plates to hit more than 20% of the time. I am saying 20% is generous figure.

Look at a team like miami, how many times they cover when literally the WHOLE public is on them? I'll say 1/10 or 2/10. When literally WHOLE public bet on ATL against them they covered w/o wade and james.

mehow
    mehow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 727

in a long period of time i think betting against public will give you 50% efficiency. so you would lose. better to look at line movements, but they are not that crucial in betting. sometimes just a valuable tool.

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mikea33 View Post
    It does not even out. If you were to track all the public plays, over time the public would clearly be in the red at some point. even if it was close, the juice would kick in..........'the lights are bright in vegas for a reason'
    U do realize Vegas makes most of it's money from non sports related gambling

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

No matter what your strategy is you have to know when to pick your advantage spots,

This is no different when betting against the public.......