dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 39777

True or False: NBA Totals Are Rigged in the Last Minute of a Game?

Thats what no coincidences says. But of course its almost always games that he has a bet on and he's on the other side. Look at these comments from a recent nba game.

Look at No Coincidences Response to the Warriors/Lakers Game.

1. You guys want to see a rigged NBA total?

Watch and learn.

2. So let me get this straight warrior: opened at 188.5, dropped to 185.5, then jumped to 186.5 at the last minute -- and I'm supposed to believe it's a coincidence that a 39-35 halftime game just happens to be coming down to the very last 10 seconds on a total that's currently sitting at 185?

OK.

3. If you don't think this total was fixed for some whale to nail the middle, I can't help you.

Just look at the facts of this game.

Opened at 188.5.

Got bought down to 185.5.

Hit up to 186.5 right before tip.

74 points in the first half.

187 points total.

I rest my case.

Does the nba really rig totals in the last minute of a game? I mean... every player , official and coach had to make sure it landed on 187 or 188.

Is it rigged?

Does his 3rd argument have any reasoning?

dynamite140

True or False: NBA Totals Are Rigged in the Last Minute of a Game?

Thats what no coincidences says. But of course its almost always games that he has a bet on and he's on the other side. Look at these comments from a recent nba game.

Look at No Coincidences Response to the Warriors/Lakers Game.

1. You guys want to see a rigged NBA total?

Watch and learn.

2. So let me get this straight warrior: opened at 188.5, dropped to 185.5, then jumped to 186.5 at the last minute -- and I'm supposed to believe it's a coincidence that a 39-35 halftime game just happens to be coming down to the very last 10 seconds on a total that's currently sitting at 185?

OK.

3. If you don't think this total was fixed for some whale to nail the middle, I can't help you.

Just look at the facts of this game.

Opened at 188.5.

Got bought down to 185.5.

Hit up to 186.5 right before tip.

74 points in the first half.

187 points total.

I rest my case.

Does the nba really rig totals in the last minute of a game? I mean... every player , official and coach had to make sure it landed on 187 or 188.

Is it rigged?

Does his 3rd argument have any reasoning?

sapidoc
    oddsfire
    sapidoc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 712

let's pick out one example which works best to prove the "point"?

no sorry, not rigged

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Get over him, phaggot. He said no to your advances, time to move on and find a new man who loves you for who you are

vinny89121
    vinny89121's Avatar Become A Pro!

players dont rig games. they make 10 million a year. its not worth it for them to throw a game. its the refs. and on totals its the refs and clock keepers

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

I say it's kinda rigged, anyone who says other wise hasn't bet this sport long enough. I lost and won quite a few games where fouls were called or not called that greatly affected the spread in the game. We talking about calls the Referees are making late and have you scratching your head like WTF

dynamite140

He thinks this game was rigged for some whale to MIDDLE THE GAME and to hit this middle was to have it land on EXACTLY 187.

You telling me the whole plan of this game was to make sure it ends with exactly 187?

tokio
    tokio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2886

I dont know if they are rigged but i've been betting NBA for 2yrs now and some totals will have you saying wtf how did the books have it that close, losing by the hook or by 1pt. Dont want to call it rigged but as a sports bettor you can only come to certain possibilities and conclusions haha.

Thats was damn bad beat for lakers/warrior under bettors tonight tho.

dynamite140

But do you think the whole plan was for the refs, players to rig this game and have it land exactly on 187?

I mean some WHALE MUST HAVE HIT THAT MIDDLE

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

The biggest thing people have shaved points always said are they didn't let it affect the outcome of the game with a win or lose... example tonight refs could easily fix the total to go over by calling excessive fouls in the 4th quarter... techs etc... and no one will care/say anything unless it affects out come... ala warriors winning innstead of laker whatever

HendoNation
    HendoNation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1194

I think there's no way the players are involved in rigged games. Only way I can see a game as rigged is if the refs are calling fouls left and right

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Its been somewhat rigged in the past, sooooooo

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Very unlikely. The players obviously have no motive and the refs have a relatively small influence (without risking reprimand for making bad calls). Too much risk and relatively small payoff. David Stern is the only guy who gets to mess with the outcome and his motives have nothing to do with point spreads.

If you want to look for cheaters, start with small college b-ball. There are lots of broke kids with 0 shot at the pros who can be talked into shaving points for $5k-$10k. The refs are also very low paid and under little scrutiny from a governing body.

YouMama
    Losers Lose

didnt a bears WR jut get caught trying to be a drug kingpin? people always want more, no matter how much they have

Ernie Mccracken

Quote Originally Posted by YouMama View Post
    didnt a bears WR jut get caught trying to be a drug kingpin? people always want more, no matter how much they have

There's millions to be made in drugs. How much do you get for rigging a game? $10k at the most? That's like 1 night out at da clubs.

YouMama
    Losers Lose

Money Mayweather lays down 500k bets in vegas ... 6 figures is alot of money, even if u make 7 yearly ... vick was involved in freaking dog fighting, how much money is in dog fighting?

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

true

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Quote Originally Posted by tokio View Post
    I dont know if they are rigged but i've been betting NBA for 2yrs now and some totals will have you saying wtf how did the books have it that close, losing by the hook or by 1pt. Dont want to call it rigged but as a sports bettor you can only come to certain possibilities and conclusions haha.

Thats was damn bad beat for lakers/warrior under bettors tonight tho.
    Dude...there's over 2,000 games played every season. Doesn't stand to reason that some of those 2,000+ games are going to end right at the number?

The whole idea of a fix is nothing more than a gambler's phallacy used to make someone feel better about a losing wager. We think to ourselves, "how did this happen, it had to fixed" rather than just look at the math involved. Obviously, out of such a huge sample of games, there are going to quite a few that end very close to the number. It's just a matter of time and is inevitable as death.

Unfortunately, people would rather believe in the fix rather than just look at the math.

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Quote Originally Posted by YouMama View Post
    Money Mayweather lays down 500k bets in vegas ... 6 figures is alot of money, even if u make 7 yearly ... vick was involved in freaking dog fighting, how much money is in dog fighting?
    I doubt Vick was supplementing his income much if at all by fighting dogs...he enjoyed the dog fights, entertaining friends and being on the winning side because he is a competitor...

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

True or false.

Losers complain way too much?

Ernie Mccracken

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    True or false.

Losers complain way too much?

I'm sure op would have come to the same conclusion had he been on the winning side of that total.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some imaginations are a bit too active.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

the people that create the lines are smarter than the average person, smarter than anyone on this forum that is for sure, and they use a combination of intelligence and computer power to generate accurate lines for sports events using mathematics and statistics

those lines are as accurate as can be, it is most likely that the total will land near that number than not, the fact that it got middled was a coincidence

every day there are dozens of basketball games in nba and ncaab and thousands of games in a whole season, there is bound to be a game total every now and then that lands between the opening and closing line and some douchebag is going to start crying because he lost $10 on a bet

and here its the law of averages at work, if two teams statistically score 188 points total when they face each other, that doesnt mean that 94 points will be scored in each half or that 47 points will be scored in each quarter, it is possible to get a 74 point first half and a 113 point second half

a low scoring first half usually means a high scoring second half and vice versa, people that have not yet realized that should definitely not be giving their money away to the books
    Last edited by SportsMushroom; 01-07-12 at 03:37 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ace_of_Spades

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

At the NBA? Nah. The refs are closely watched now due to the scandal a few years back and the players have little incentive since they are already banking.

Small colleges on the other hand are probably PLAGUED with it. It's not hard to find a bookie willing to work something out with the starting point guard.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdiggity11 View Post
    At the NBA? Nah. The refs are closely watched now due to the scandal a few years back and the players have little incentive since they are already banking.

Small colleges on the other hand are probably PLAGUED with it. It's not hard to find a bookie willing to work something out with the starting point guard.

to affect a game you obviously need more than one player, you probably need atleast 2-4 of the starters, if you are a starter, how much money would it take for you to point shave? it takes a lot of money to rig even a college basketball game, since limits of college basketball are low, you wouldnt be able to make a profit

you think a player is going to risk it all for 1000 bucks? you know what is at stake? 1. his scholarship 2. his reputation 3. possible indictment and most importantly, 4. his future, I dont care what university you are playing for, every player dreams of making it to the nba, especially if you are a starter, it would take a lot of money to risk a possible nba contract worth millions. even if you are not going for a pro contract, if you get caught you lose your scholarship, you lose your degree, you lose your reputation and you might face jailtime. then you are unemployable, with no education, no degree, a reputation as a cheat and an arrest record

it would take a lot of money to risk that

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    to affect a game you obviously need more than one player, you probably need atleast 2-4 of the starters, if you are a starter, how much money would it take for you to point shave? it takes a lot of money to rig even a college basketball game, since limits of college basketball are low, you wouldnt be able to make a profit

you think a player is going to risk it all for 1000 bucks? you know what is at stake? 1. his scholarship 2. his reputation 3. possible indictment and most importantly, 4. his future, I dont care what university you are playing for, every player dreams of making it to the nba, especially if you are a starter, it would take a lot of money to risk a possible nba contract worth millions. even if you are not going for a pro contract, if you get caught you lose your scholarship, you lose your degree, you lose your reputation and you might face jailtime. then you are unemployable, with no education, no degree, a reputation as a cheat and an arrest record

Well, there's been plenty of scandals in the past in regards to college basketball. Risks or not, people have done it quite a bit.

LeagueCapper
    LeagueCapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1323

Agreed LTA^^ I mean noone complains or dares to say anything about the totals that are 20 points over or under the line but when its one or two off the line its an immediate fix. Face it theres too many games played and totals will be very close and very off all the time

protoss.2004
    protoss.2004's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Quote Originally Posted by Love The Action View Post
    Dude...there's over 2,000 games played every season. Doesn't stand to reason that some of those 2,000+ games are going to end right at the number?

The whole idea of a fix is nothing more than a gambler's phallacy used to make someone feel better about a losing wager. We think to ourselves, "how did this happen, it had to fixed" rather than just look at the math involved. Obviously, out of such a huge sample of games, there are going to quite a few that end very close to the number. It's just a matter of time and is inevitable as death.

Unfortunately, people would rather believe in the fix rather than just look at the math.
    Couldn't agree more

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

If the total was indeed fixed, it would have to involve the referees or the players by definition.

With that being the case, THEY would have never given themselves such an uphill climb having to reach 187 or 188 with a 74 point 1st half.

If the total was pre determined, the referees would try to land the 1st half total as close to 94 as possible so as to spread the manipulation throughout the entire game instead of only the 2nd half.

After the Donaghy scandal, NBA referees are scrutinized much more closely.

NO WAY the Lakers total was pre determined.

moguler
    moguler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8093

If the game was prefixed, why the refs and the players take a difficult way of fixing it so hard at the very last moment of the game? If they wanted to beat the line of 187 or something, they should have made the first half total of 100 or something. They didn't. And they tried to beat the line when they only have a few minutes left? It simply doesn't make sense! I understand it was a vert very bad beat for the under bettors. But that's it. Forget it. It happens. Forget it and grind it for the next game you bet. Trying to comfort yourself thinking that the game was fixed won't help anything.
    Last edited by moguler; 01-07-12 at 05:15 AM.

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by andywend View Post
    If the total was indeed fixed, it would have to involve the referees or the players by definition. With that being the case, THEY would have never given themselves such an uphill climb having to reach 187 or 188 with a 74 point 1st half. If the total was pre determined, the referees would try to land the 1st half total as close to 94 as possible so as to spread the manipulation throughout the entire game instead of only the 2nd half. After the Donaghy scandal, NBA referees are scrutinized much more closely. NO WAY the Lakers total was pre determined.
    Are you serious?

Did you watch ANY games 2011 playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSiWpO9oZY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jqkY...eature=related

These are the two I found with a quick google.

I can remember at least 10 incidents that no competent ref would allow:
    1. Chandler's elbow doesn't even touch Wade, Wade flops, foul is called
    2. Perkins goaltending, his hand going through the net, no foul called
    3. Mavs v Trailblazers, I forgot the numbers but Mavs got twice as many foul calls as TB but that's so ironic, since blazers are more a "in the paint" team and Mavs have both Dirk and outside shooters.
    4. Rose guarding Pacer (forgot who) would hit his hand on the way down from his 3 pt shot, 3pt foul shot called.

List goes on and on.... I'm not going to write them all down.

Sorry, if you think refs don't mess with an outcome of a game, that is dumb and you shouldn't be capping.

Last year was pure lunacy. Just ask Goatmilk, he went on a 0-20 streak at one time. It was the worst year I've ever seen.

Why bother capping, well... if NBA was bad as last year, it would've been my last year. But there's a balance, and if you do this long enough, you know what refs are thugs and what games will be fixed. Then there's fans to appease, so you can't rig every game. I mean, if Bulls lost every game, there'd be no NBA "product".

But yeah, NBA games are the most rigged imo. Harder to rig football or baseball, but at the same time, they're harder to cap.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Well, I'm a whale & I tried to fix a total once. I wanted it to land right on 191 so I could middle it. I first had to meet with all 24 players involved in the game & paid them off. Some of these players made upwards to 20m/per so they understandably wanted quite a bit to "rig" the game. In fact some more than others. For example it cost me $500k alone to "buy" LeBron James & another $500k to "buy" Kobe Bryant as these were the two players that had the best chance to effect the outcome. In the end I managed to "buy" all 24 players for a grand sum of 8 million. Next I bought off the coaching staffs for both teams. That cost me another 2 million. Then it was on to the referees who were expectantly stubborn but necessary for this whole scheme to work. They cost me 1 million total. I even bought out the score & clock keeper (just in case). That was another 100k. Next I was on to the league's front office. David Stern informed me that if I wanted exclusive rights to "operate" in his league I could just pay him & he would disperse it amongst his higher ranks. He wasn't cheap but in the end I got away w/ giving Stern just 4m.

Expenses for my "rigged" game:
    Players: 8m
    Coaches: 2m
    Referees: 1m
    Front office: 4m
    Score & time keepers: 100k

Total: $15,100,000

My plan was in place and all parties involved assured me the game would land on exactly 191. I then called my book UP that had the game set @ 190.5 & bet the max he would take which was $2,000. Then I called my other book UP that had the game @ 191.5 & bet the max he would take which was also $2,000.
    It was amazing watching the players, coaches, referees, score & time keepers & front office officials all work in unison & perfection as the game did indeed land on exactly 191....thanx in part to 14 consecutive missed free throws & the score keeper counting a lay-UP as a 3 claiming that the player was actually behind the 3 point line.

When it was all over It cost me $15,100,000 to "buy" all those necessary. But I did collect a total of $2,000 (only one book paid me the other stiffed me & skipped town). In the end I middled this "fixed" game for a net lose of -$15,098,000. But WTF do I care, I'm a whale!!!!!

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Sorry, if you think refs don't mess with an outcome of a game, that is dumb and you shouldn't be capping.

Last year was pure lunacy. Just ask Goatmilk, he went on a 0-20 streak at one time. It was the worst year I've ever seen.

Why bother capping, well... if NBA was bad as last year, it would've been my last year. But there's a balance, and if you do this long enough, you know what refs are thugs and what games will be fixed. Then there's fans to appease, so you can't rig every game. I mean, if Bulls lost every game, there'd be no NBA "product".

But yeah, NBA games are the most rigged imo. Harder to rig football or baseball, but at the same time, they're harder to cap.
    If you believe this, then you should NOT be gambling.

Upscope, great post.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post

Do you know how many point shaving scandals there have been in basketball?

You guys act like it's never been done before.

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

123 Last