MrShrink
    MrShrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Teams that are "THERE"... Teams on the cusp of being so...

In my eyes, there are only a handful of teams that have really gotten their act together so far this season. These teams have displayed chemistry, quality play on both ends of the court, a strong will to win and overall consistency. The common threads between these teams is a strong core of returning personnel, a good mix of youth/veteran leadership and good coaching. Here's my list (in no particular order)...

Denver
    Portland
    Orlando
    Philadelphia
    Miami

In the group of "almost-there's," I've got some picks that some of you will think I'm an idiot for not putting in this first group (and you may have an argument), but I believe that these teams haven't quite reached the spot where they will be in the coming weeks as they get their legs under them/jel and show a more CONSISTENT level of quality play/chemistry. They are good teams and could outperform the teams on the first list on any given night but, again, I haven't quite seen the night in and night out effort on both ends of the court that I see from the aforementioned.

-Boston (KG and Allen look almost as good as ever, but this is a new look for them and are still jelling. Will be phenomenal once they do.)
    -San Antonio (Flashes of brilliance, high level of inconsistency)
    -Minnesota (Obviously, the most improved team in the league. Defense/chemistry need improvement.)
    -Chicago (They've played some inexcusably bad first halves on the offensive side)
    -LAC (Obviously have loads of talent. Still need to jel.)
    -LAL (New coach, new group of youngsters, Bynum looking better than ever but suffer a lack of consistency)
    -OKC (Lack of consistency.)
    -Dallas (Lack of consistency, new faces)

Teams to look out for...

-Toronto (Massive improvement on the defensive end. Once this coach figures out how to use this group of talent to their fullest potential, watch out...)
    -Milwaukee (Injuries, again, but when Bogut and Dunleavy get healthy...)
    -GSW (Tons of talented youth, some injuries/absences and a new coach. Who knows if/when these guys will "find themselves" and how good they'll be when they do.)
    -Houston (Incredible offense, terrible defense. I have faith that McHale will get it straightened out, though. Also, think Dalembert was a great addition.)
    -Utah (Lots of talented youth and vets. New coach. These guys could be real strong in the second half.)
    -Atlanta (They've shown that they are capable on the defensive end. Still totally inconsistent offensively. Feel they need a true big man.)
    -Pacers (Not really sure what to say about this team, but they could be the next to graduate to the previous group)
    -Hornets (New cast. Lots of talent. Some injuries. Defensively capable, though.)
    -Knicks (Total ?, in my mind. Who knows what D'antoni will do with these guys. All I can say is that time (and Baron Davis) should help them out in a major way.)
    -Cavs (If Irving and Jamison can keep playing the way that they have who knows how good these guys could be.)

The rest are pretty much garbage, IMO, and will probably stay that way for the bulk of the season. Some will argue that the Bobcats should be in that last group, but I think they still have major strides ahead of them.

So... Who is the next team to graduate to their respective next grouping? Who will suddenly have a stretch of a few games of unnoticed value? What do you think? My picks would be Chicago, OKC and LAL are quite close to reaching that first group. Toronto, Houston and the Pacers seem near ripe enough for the second group.

Your thoughts?

MrShrink

Oh, yeah... Detroit. Guess they're not a total trash heap and could warrant consideration for the 3rd group, but who knows where they'll go.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29946

as an orlando fan and close follower, i do not think they're "there" at all. they don't even have a quality win yet, and their offense has the same problems they've always had -- the truly good defenses expose them, weaker teams don't so orlando tends to dominate the scrubs and rack up wins. tonight's game against the bulls will give some indication but even if the magic win at home here it will take way more to convince me they are a legit contender

and philadelphia?? plenty of talent but how can philly be "there" yet?

MrShrink

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    as an orlando fan and close follower, i do not think they're "there" at all. they don't even have a quality win yet, and their offense has the same problems they've always had -- the truly good defenses expose them, weaker teams don't so orlando tends to dominate the scrubs and rack up wins. tonight's game against the bulls will give some indication but even if the magic win at home here it will take way more to convince me they are a legit contender and philadelphia?? plenty of talent but how can philly be "there" yet?
    Orlando's defense has looked incredible. Hedo's back in the groove. JJ and Anderson are busting out. Perhaps they should be in the 2nd group but, to me, they've shown a level of consistency/chemistry/balance that puts them in the first. BTW, they're my play of the day.

Philly? One word... Hawes. Check out his and the team's overall efficiency ratings. Add to that that they've done it ALL on the road. Mostly west coast, too.