Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Vitooch's NBA Capping Theory Experiment Thing A Ma Jig

Ok guys.

I have only been capping NBA since the beginning of this season. I have used prior capping experience (of other sports such as NFL and MMA), and a respectable knowledge of NBA in the hopes the my learning curve for NBA capping would be a little less severe. So far, I've had some really great days of NBA capping, and some pretty shitty ones. I've tried to understand what has gone wrong with the plays I have been making. I went back and looked at my picks since day one and fortunately have noticed a trend.

Some of my losing picks include:

Bucks -3 on the road against the Bobcats
    Knicks -3 on the road against the Warriors
    Celtics -2 1/2 on the road against the Hornets
    Spurs -1 on the road against the Rockets

All these plays have one glaring thing in common. I took an above average road favorite against an average to below average home dog. You see, for a newbie like myself these lines looked too easy. I used the rationale that any beginner capper like myself would use, that "Team A (the team i selected) was good, and that Team B was inferior". And, usually, that claim is correct, but it doesn't translate well to capping the spread in the NBA. In this taxing NBA season where a team must travel across the country and play many games per week, these superior teams will occasionally have what many would call "letdown performances". Often times these letwdown performances come after the team put on a impressive performance, usually at home, against a tough opponent in a very meaningful game, a "statement game" of sorts. In these "statement games", teams put the proceeding and prior games beside them, and devote all their resources and energy in that one very important and meaningful game. When a team does this, they seem to come into their next game unprepared, underestimating their opponents after such a barn burner of a game the previous night. This gives the home dog the perfect opportunity to steal a win from these above average teams on their home court.

If you look at the teams I selected in those above plays, most were coming off a big win or wins, or in the Celtics case, two very close losses to above average teams. The Knicks were coming off an opening day win against the Celtics in the Garden, the Spurs were coming off huge blowout wins against the Clippers and Griz. As for the Bucks, they were playing their first game of the season but seem to fit the description of a road favorite that may have underestimated their opponent. As for the Celts, they may not have won their two previous games, but both were close, taxing losses against two very tough Eastern Conference foes.

Tonight, I put my theory to action. I saw that the Jazz were hosting the 76ers. The line was initially 76ers -3. I knew that the public would fall in love with this line. The 76ers were coming off a close loss to the Trailblazers and a blowout win against the Suns and were facing the lowly 0-2 Jazz. What the public seemed to have forgotten was that the Jazz's two losses were on the road against some of the toughest teams in the West, in the Lakers and Nuggets. And also, the 76ers, after a blowout win against the Suns, may have been due for a letdown game. So, I went to sleep, woke up, and as expected, found that the line moved to 76ers -4 and eventually -5. The public ate this line up and the books were about to make a killing. So, I quickly took the Jazz spread and ML, and what do you know, it ******* cashed!

So, let's put this theory to the test. And to reward you for reading this, I bring you the Black Keys...

Vitooch
    Dayman

"

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

I get your theory, but I think there are some flaws, mainly in your sample size. Some of those picks you made weren't exactly good either. The reason why you are seeing so many road favorites struggle against mediocre/sub-par home teams is because most of these are home openers and the nature of the early season. New Orleans beat Boston in their home opener. Don't quote me on this, but I think that was on the back end of a B2B for Boston as well. Charlotte upset Milwaukee in their home opener as well. Houston beat SA in their home opener (once again, I believe SA was on the back end of a B2b as well). As for GS, they always plays tough at home, and NY is just not that good of a team.

Now if these games were being played in March or April, it would be a very different story. Home openers are a really big advantage for the home team.

And I happen to like Indi - 2.5. Not a home opener for Detroit, they already got blown out at home by the Cavs. That team truly is a mess. And Indi is shaping up to be a really good team, and one of the better defensive teams as well. Their bench is ridiculous in depth and talent (hansburough, george hill, amnunson, dahntay jones), so they always play fresh.
    Last edited by Speedy88; 12-31-11 at 06:19 AM.

Vitooch
    Dayman

I definitely understand what you're saying and appreciate the feedback.

I think all teams, especially in a season with special circumstances such as this, experience let down games throughout the season in large part to fatigue and B2B games. Also, since the books know that it is early in the season and that home openers is a huge factor, perhaps they will make the lines more favorable for home dogs as the season progresses, thus making it easier for those dogs to cover in the process. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say haha
    Last edited by Vitooch; 12-31-11 at 06:34 AM.

Speedy88

I definitely understand what your saying. You'll get the hold of the NBA, it takes some time. It is a lot different than NFL. I find NFL much easier, but NBA is a lot of fun because you get 5+ games pretty much everyday, rather than the NFL which is just Sunday and then one game on Monday.

Just understand that there are certain teams that play better at home than others. Golden State and Sac always play tough at their home. You can't say the same about Detroit. And there is a big difference between Golden State and Detroit.

Vitooch
    Dayman

Ok let's hope this hits. I took Pistons ML only (I didn't think the +2 1/2 was worth buying)

Vitooch
    Dayman

"

Speedy88

So far so good bud.

Vitooch
    Dayman

Yea I'm not sure if Warriors/76ers qualify for this formula. What do you think?

Vitooch
    Dayman

You know what, what the hell...

Game #2: 76ers @ Warriors

76ers are playing B2B road games. Last night they lost on the road in a hard fought, competitive game against the Jazz. Now they must travel to Golden State to face a Warriors team with one of the best home court advantages in the NBA. Mark Jackson has this team playing strong team defense. Andres Biedrins has provided a much needed presence at the center position. Ellis will be missed but this team still has the ability to run the court and put up points quick especially at home.

Vitooch
    Dayman

Quote Originally Posted by Vitooch View Post
    You know what, what the hell...

Game #2: 76ers @ Warriors

76ers are playing B2B road games. Last night they lost on the road in a hard fought, competitive game against the Jazz. Now they must travel to Golden State to face a Warriors team with one of the best home court advantages in the NBA. Mark Jackson has this team playing strong team defense. Andres Biedrins has provided a much needed presence at the center position. Ellis will be missed but this team still has the ability to run the court and put up points quick especially at home.
    Vitooch's Formula/Theory/Trend Thing: 1-1

Warriors were up 20-7 at one point. ******* unreal. Knew I should of stayed away. This game did not fit my formula as well as the first one but I made a bad judgement call.
    Wolves/Mavs fit the formula tomorrow.

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

Tooch...this isn't an experiment. This is an old concept that has been around for quite some time. Your first basically describes the "trap game" situation.

Unfortunately, if you track these types of plays, you will find that blindly betting this concept has been proven to be unprofitable in the long term. Instead, use this as just one factor that you look for. Once you find what seems like a trap game, then decide what else supports one side or the other.

You seem like a relatively smart, reasonable and well written individual. Therefore, I recommend you read some books on sports investing before putting too much money on the line. Sharp Sports Betting, Weighing the odds and Conquering Risk are all great books that will give you great insight into both the requisite math of sports investing and different concepts that apply. I think once you read those books, you will have the intelligence to look beyond some of the red herrings out there which are just there to fool you.

Good luck.

Vitooch
    Dayman

I had a feeling this was the case. I will definitely keep this trend in mind, because I think this angle may be profitable if I show the proper restraint. I haven't really gotten around to reading any books and will definitely take a look at the ones you recommened.

I gamble with very low stakes as compared to most posters on this site but would like to build a respectable bankroll as another form of income. I appreciate your feedback and appreciate the contributions you make to the forums.

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

no more picks?

jabro21
    jabro21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 326

i used to try and attack the nba with just this theory. it may work if you know what to look for, but the nba is a very tough beast to tame, and no general theory applications work with it, you have to know the league, and the teams, and adjust every day. i agree with another poster on this thread, the nfl is much easier. with the nba, expect unpredictability, in seemingly predictable situations. It can be frustrating cause every so often you will see games that fit your theory exactly, and ask yourself why you don't just sit around and wait for those types of games to come up. its because in the meantime other opportunities arise, some of them appearing close enough to the theory.

Vitooch
    Dayman

I took a break from Sports betting for the last week or so. Have been reading up on some of the resources LTA presented and will try my hand at this trend when i return in the next week or so. I will finally be getting my pro membership soon also.

This system does seem to work. I just need to pick the correct spots instead of making auto picks just because a game fits the system. Game 2 didnt really fit the formula because 76ers already played their letdown game the night before against jazz. As i mentioned, mavs/wolves fit formula and ended up cashing for wolves backers. And not coincidentally, that game seemed to fit formula better than game 2 because mavs were more due for letdown game after win against (i believe) the raptors at home. Unfortunately, i was afraid to pull the trigger because i was afraid that wolves +3 at home was ironically a trap game lol for wolves backers

Not deserting this thread, just took a break from sports betting for a little. Really see the potential in this system and looking forward to trying it again once i return with pro membership
    Last edited by Vitooch; 01-07-12 at 05:29 PM.