darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Lakers are totally getting Howard and Paul

So I was drunk last night hitting on a highschool girl that was outside the bar I was at, and I couldn't help but notice ESPN kept saying the lakers are going to trade for both Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. There is no shot they get both of these guys, they would be lucky to get one.

This is ESPN at their best, it's like them reporting.. "NFL teams would be favorable to trade for Tom Brady." or "Colts wouldn't be against having Revis and DeMarcus Ware on their team."

You think there's even a shot at this..

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Not unless Jerry Buss wins a half billion in a poker game somewhere.

Luxury tax is insane, even with their current rosters of losers next season theyll be paying like 162 million in salary. or something like that, the season after that (with expiring contracts and 'assuming' getting 'normal' contracts that basically are dollar for dollar with what they have now it will be over 200 million.

So unless everyone cuts their pay in half and these guys either one of them want to play for 30% of what they could get somewhere else then no way.

While an NBA championship is worth something it isnt worth that much, not in profits anyway.

Jerry Buss' only asset is the Lakers, he isnt a rich guy like Cuban or the Maloofs or these Russian mafia guys buying teams up back east. He has a little bit more than most people but only because the Lakers have value. And he has gotten away with just reinvesting back into the team what profits they have made over the years. But he isnt going to be able to pull a hundred million out of his pocket for taxes over the next few years.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

of course this deal can be made, why the hell not? if the heat & celtics can pay for 3 stars why not the lakers?

the lakers would be trading away over $40 mil in salary for gasol, odom and bynum to get paul and howard who make a little over $30 mil. its not like theyre trading away scrubs and taking on $30 additional mil.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    Not unless Jerry Buss wins a half billion in a poker game somewhere.

Luxury tax is insane, even with their current rosters of losers next season theyll be paying like 162 million in salary. or something like that, the season after that (with expiring contracts and 'assuming' getting 'normal' contracts that basically are dollar for dollar with what they have now it will be over 200 million.

So unless everyone cuts their pay in half and these guys either one of them want to play for 30% of what they could get somewhere else then no way.

While an NBA championship is worth something it isnt worth that much, not in profits anyway.

Jerry Buss' only asset is the Lakers, he isnt a rich guy like Cuban or the Maloofs or these Russian mafia guys buying teams up back east. He has a little bit more than most people but only because the Lakers have value. And he has gotten away with just reinvesting back into the team what profits they have made over the years. But he isnt going to be able to pull a hundred million out of his pocket for taxes over the next few years.
    The maloofs are probably the brokest owners in the league. The y dont even own the palms anymore. Had to take out 2 loans last year just to keep the thing open.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

Hard to imagine how Lakers would have the assets to trade for both. Who would they be giving up? Outside of Gasol and Bynum, do the Lakers have much in terms of assets? I would think Orlando wants more than one player who is not of equal value.

Puppy
    2015 -110
    Puppy's Avatar Become A Pro!

impossible even in a video game

Adamho
    Adamho's Avatar Become A Pro!

If this happens, Kobe fills up the other hand.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

lakers have 3 viable assets.

gasol 18.8ppg 10.2rpg
    odom 16.1ppg 9.7rpg
    bynum 11.3ppg 9.4rpg

gasol goes to hornets for paul.
    odom & bynum goes to magic for howard.

great deal for all 3 teams.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Anyone try to do this trade on the "ESPN Trade Machine?".

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

You think the lakers care about luxury tax? Hahahahah

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1551

I just think the Lakers are trying to bump up the price on the Clippers by saying they're trying to get both guys. The Clips have the bodies to pull it off.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    lakers have 3 viable assets.

gasol 18.8ppg 10.2rpg
    odom 16.1ppg 9.7rpg
    bynum 11.3ppg 9.4rpg

gasol goes to hornets for paul.
    odom & bynum goes to magic for howard.

great deal for all 3 teams.
    Bynum and Odom is a great deal for Orlando? Haha are you kidding? Not a chance and it doesn't work on the trade machine. There is no way Lakers can trade for both. They don't have nearly enough.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

nah.. I say they trade Luke Walton for Chris Paul probably.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by darkhat View Post
    nah.. I say they trade Luke Walton for Chris Paul probably.
    or chris paul and a 2nd and 5th round draft pick for walton.

anything is possible with multi-team trades.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Bynum and Odom is a great deal for Orlando? Haha are you kidding? Not a chance and it doesn't work on the trade machine. There is no way Lakers can trade for both. They don't have nearly enough.

odom is a versatile big man who can score, rebound, pass and defend. he was named the 6th man of the year as he put up all star like numbers playing limited minutes. bynum is a double-double guy with great defense and hes just 24. they are getting fair value for a guy who will not re-sign with them. so would you rather they get nothing in return when he leaves after the season?

the proposed trade is bynum & odom for howard & turkoglu. but any scrub will do.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

These punks need to be stopped

Who do they think they are demanding who they play for??

Jordan is right most nba players do not like competition anymore

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

odom is a versatile big man who can score, rebound, pass and defend. he was named the 6th man of the year as he put up all star like numbers playing limited minutes. bynum is a double-double guy with great defense and hes just 24. they are getting fair value for a guy who will not re-sign with them. so would you rather they get nothing in return when he leaves after the season?

the proposed trade is bynum & odom for howard & turkoglu. but any scrub will do.
    Odom is 32yo with 2 years left at 9mm. He's not that valuable as a returning trade piece for Orlando. Not a piece to build around long-term. I agree Orlando will trade him, just think they can get more value than that. Does LA own any extra draft picks? If I'm Orlando I demand Gasol plus Bynum also and return a bad salary like Arenas or Turkoglu.

I would think a trade with Chicago getting some combo of Noah, Deng, Boozer, Gibson, Asik plus they have Charlotte's #1 to offer would be much more attractive to Orlando.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    Not unless Jerry Buss wins a half billion in a poker game somewhere. Luxury tax is insane, even with their current rosters of losers next season theyll be paying like 162 million in salary. or something like that, the season after that (with expiring contracts and 'assuming' getting 'normal' contracts that basically are dollar for dollar with what they have now it will be over 200 million. So unless everyone cuts their pay in half and these guys either one of them want to play for 30% of what they could get somewhere else then no way. While an NBA championship is worth something it isnt worth that much, not in profits anyway. Jerry Buss' only asset is the Lakers, he isnt a rich guy like Cuban or the Maloofs or these Russian mafia guys buying teams up back east. He has a little bit more than most people but only because the Lakers have value. And he has gotten away with just reinvesting back into the team what profits they have made over the years. But he isnt going to be able to pull a hundred million out of his pocket for taxes over the next few years.
    The Lakers just signed a $5 Billion dollar TV contract that kicks in this season. The Lakers will get over $200 million annually from this tv contract alone. In contrast, the Bobcats current TV offer pays them $9 million a year....The tv money could pay the entire Lakers roster their yearly salary twice over. Then add in ticket sales, merchandise sales, ad revenue, playoff money etc....Basically, money is not an issue for the Lakers.

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Anyone try to do this trade on the "ESPN Trade Machine?".
    Yes, and it works. It won't happen, but it does work.

Lakers need to get a 3rd team involved to give them a realistic chance of getting both guys. There was a rumor involving Utah and Al Jefferson, who knows if there's anything to it.

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    It does work on the Trade machine. You're forgetting that Orlando isn't dumping howard unless someone takes on Hedo's bad contract with it. And when you add in Hedo, the deal works.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

odom is on his last leg,

why even watch thenba if they get howard and paul

big difference in howard and paul and boston gettng ray allan and garnett who were veteran players at the time

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

I am a Magic fan who HATES the Lakers, but if they get both guys the Lakers won't be stopped.

venture
    venture's Avatar Become A Pro!

More importantly how did it go with the High Schooler?

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    The Lakers just signed a $5 Billion dollar TV contract that kicks in this season. The Lakers will get over $200 million annually from this tv contract alone. In contrast, the Bobcats current TV offer pays them $9 million a year....The tv money could pay the entire Lakers roster their yearly salary twice over. Then add in ticket sales, merchandise sales, ad revenue, playoff money etc....Basically, money is not an issue for the Lakers.
    No one knows the full deal It has been reported it was 4 billion for 20 years with an option for 5 more years at another billion.

But that still takes into account that deal. This year I think their taxes are 45 millions on top of their salaries (old deal had it at 20). Next year it is going to be 65 million, and iyt will go up one more time after that. And that is with the scrubs they have now. They have 3 legit guys and one one the fence guy.

They just dont have any point guard or speed. Something they really need.

But if they have to trade 3 or 5 guys to get two how does that help them?

Look I hate the Lakers and hope they do anything to bury themselves. And they went down this road before, they had 4 HoF guys on the court, no bench and got swept (basically) by the 76ers. So buying names isnt the answer.

Kobe is on the down slide he has about 16 or 17 seasons worth of basketball on his legs already, gasol is actually probably the most important part of that team now, although he disappeared again in the play offs. Bynum is an injury prone douchebag but if healthy and with his head on straight could be really good. Odom is Odom and he is old and too interested in TV and other endeavors.

Then you have Artest, or whatever he wants to call himself, on the back side of old age, Fisher, nuff said, and Luke Walton the biggest Albatross ever with a massive contract and playing 3-4 minutes a game if that.

So even if they clear some of the money by trading 'star' for 'star' they still have too many stiffs no one will take with those contracts to pay off. They get to cut one of them this year or next year with no penalty. So that saves them a little but not nearly enough.

There is also no exact ruling on how Lakers have to share that revenue they get from the TV deal. I am sure some of it is going to have to be given away, and it might have been a point of contention (that and other deals mega teams have) for the revenue sharing part of it. So even if the lakers do get 200 million a year, which has been reported, there is no telling how much of that they get to keep all for themselves. I would bet it is going to end up being less than 60%, still a big chunk of change, but with the tax revenue AND the revenue sharing all kicking in it get very prohibitive very quickly.

But if it ends up being the Lakers get to keep it all then that compounds how much of a joke the NBA is and should fold about 20 teams and just have the big market teams take all the talent and have these types of TV deals because in the end if a TV deal is a work around all the stuff they have been fighting over then nothing they do matters.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post

The maloofs are probably the brokest owners in the league. The y dont even own the palms anymore. Had to take out 2 loans last year just to keep the thing open.
    It's what happens when you buy too much coke.

TheMoneyShot

I thought there was a salary cap in the NBA.... how on earth can you get these guys and still have Bryant?

Better yet... how can you afford the rest of the team?

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

lakers have 3 viable assets. gasol 18.8ppg 10.2rpg odom 16.1ppg 9.7rpg bynum 11.3ppg 9.4rpg gasol goes to hornets for paul. odom & bynum goes to magic for howard. great deal for all 3 teams.
    WHere do these guys come from? Explain to me why the hornets would give up Chris Paul for Gasol. You have to give up Gasol and about 3 first round picks to get paul.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by darkhat View Post
    So I was drunk last night hitting on a highschool girl that was outside the bar I was at
    We want to hear more about you hitting on this high school girl...

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

+300 odds right now 100 point max bet to anyone that thinks this will happen. I have 300 points right now. Let me know.

HustleGetPaid
    HustleGetPaid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5089

Man Orlando needs to trade whoever on that roster to get CP3 in O town. They just built that new arena and not even try and keep Howard and get Paul. Come one Orlando they can never catch a break...i.e Shaq & Penny, Tmac & Hill, now Howard if he gets traded...

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I thought there was a salary cap in the NBA.... how on earth can you get these guys and still have Bryant? Better yet... how can you afford the rest of the team?
    Easy. It's not like Lakers would sign Howard and Paul and still keep everyone else on their team. They will have to trade for him. That means they'd have to give up some combination of Bynum (15 million a year), Pau (18.7 million a year) or Odom (9 million a year) plus some lower salary guys or draft picks. Howard makes 18 million a year, Paul makes 16. It wouldn't be that hard.

Paul isn't coming to LA though from the sound of it, so it doesn't matter. I think the Lakers are going to do the smart thing and hold out for Howard. At this point, their only realistic competition for him is the Nets. He doesn't want to go the Clippers b/c he doesn't think he'll be a good fit with Blake. That would be 2 guys who can't do anything but dunk, and supposedly he knows that won't work. If the Nets remain as the Lakers main competition, i think LA will get him. If it comes down to it, they offer Pau and Bynum for Howard and Hedo to make the salaries work. No way the Nets can top that offer.
    If that happens, you still have a lineup of 1-Blake 2- Bryant 3- Hedo 4-Odom 5- Howard....That isn't a championship team, but you have the most dominant player in the game, about to enter his prime, on your team. If you think it will be hard to get free agents to come play with players like Howard and Bryant, in LA of all places, then you're crazy. If they aren't contenders this year b/c of the trade, they will be serious contenders next year, and the next 10 years after that.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Quote Originally Posted by HustleGetPaid View Post
    Man Orlando needs to trade whoever on that roster to get CP3 in O town. They just built that new arena and not even try and keep Howard and get Paul. Come one Orlando they can never catch a break...i.e Shaq & Penny, Tmac & Hill, now Howard if he gets traded...
    Orlando would try to get paul if they had the option, but the fact is they don't have the option. The magic traded away all of their valuable assets last season when they picked up 2 terrible contracts. Turk and Arenas are garbage time bench warmers who are getting paid more than most super stars. The Magic ****** themselves here and Howard knows it. Howard is abandoning the Magic like Shaq, but at least he is giving them the heads up first unlike Shaq or Lebron did in Cleveland.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    odom is on his last leg, why even watch thenba if they get howard and paul big difference in howard and paul and boston gettng ray allan and garnett who were veteran players at the time
    wats the difference again?
    they are all veteran players

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    WHere do these guys come from? Explain to me why the hornets would give up Chris Paul for Gasol. You have to give up Gasol and about 3 first round picks to get paul.
    i have to agree with u. that would be beyond stupid.
    u trade away chris paul u gonna want draft picks and young players
    cuz ur franchise is down for the next couple years
    wat the hell is pau gasol gonna do for the hornets?

riffraff24
    ...and out come the wolves
    riffraff24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

If you get the Nets and Golden State involved it opens up the forum for more moves to happen. And that's the kind of deal that the Lakers are working on. It wont be a solely Lakers, NO, Magic deal. Saying this cant work is just as silly as saying its a done deal.

12 Last