In a summer filled with NBA wheelings and dealings, many expected Allen Iverson to headline the list of players to change jerseys. To the comfort of many Sixer fans, it looks like that expectation will not be met.

Team president and general manager Billy King said Tuesday that he no longer expects to deal his All-Star point guard, and that keeping Iverson gives Philly the best chance to win.

"I fully expect Allen will be suiting up with us next season," King told the Philadelphia Daily News. "Allen and I have talked about it, and he wants to be here and is excited to be playing for us."

King admitted to the newspaper that he is "still working the phones, talking to people [about prospective deals]."

"We're trying to do what's best to make us a better ballclub," he said. "That's not including Allen in our discussions."

"Our conversations with other teams at this point going forward do not include [Iverson]," King told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Earlier this month, Iverson expressed his desire to remain with the club that drafted him No. 1 overall in 1996 -- if the team wanted him.

"I want to be a Sixer, I have said that since Day 1," Iverson said at a news conference at the time to promote his annual charity softball event. "But if I am not wanted, then I definitely don't want to be a Sixer and I am willing to start my career all over."

Iverson has played all 10 of his NBA seasons in Philadelphia. In 2005-06, the 31-year-old Iverson averaged a career-high 33.0 points per game and made his seventh All-Star team, but the Sixers struggled down the stretch and finished two games out of the playoffs.

"It's a business. I have some value," Iverson said earlier in July. "We didn't make the playoffs last year, and when something like that happens, you feel like you got to do something. I don't know why it has to be me, but I guess I have that type of value."