SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

SBA - Is it possible we could have scab ball??

I could see about 1/4 of the regular NBA players crossing(cash is such a good motivator). So lets say 2 regular NBA players per team. The rest would be CBA players, 3rd rounders and beyond, fringe NBA guys who have been cut within the past couple of years and probably some decent foreigners.

Sell tickets like the current beaver ball; like $10.

Would it work? Can the players union or trade group stop it?

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Would there actually be a fan base to watch the D League in primetime? I think the teams would still lose money playing with scabs. People pay to see Kobe, Lebron, Wade not Rashad McCant's. Operating cost would be to high and not worth it IMO.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

maybe there would be more whites playing.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 513

it would be great to see, likely wouldn't be much worse the the NBA games

gamblingshark
    gamblingshark's Avatar Become A Pro!

public is very angry right now NBA being very dumb. public would love to see scab teams who are grateful for the chance

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Happy Hour start early at the TOT today ?

Because those spoiled babies who sense of entitlement is off the charts are not playing in any scrub league

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by gamblingshark View Post
    public is very angry right now NBA being very dumb. public would love to see scab teams who are grateful for the chance
    In a bad economy...people aren't exactly sympathetic to millionaires fighting over money

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    it would be great to see, likely wouldn't be much worse the the NBA games
    The nativity of people on this site is incredible. Truly.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

isn't there anther basketball league in america the USBL or something. Just get a bunch of their players as scab.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by gamblingshark View Post
    I'm not sure. But the WNBA has a decent following. It might depend on who actually crosses. If they can not get a couple of NBA regulars per team to cross it probably would be un watchable.

If there were 2 decent NBA regulars per team on the floor and some hungry Olympians and like you said some hungry fringe guys then yea, I'd probably give it a chance.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

some rich dude should start a new league. lets see some 3 on3 or 1v1. of course it will never happen, but how sick would it be to see a 1v1 lebron vs kobe game of 21

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

is that and1 league still around?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It could be ok, I would bet it and maybe got to a few games

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It could be ok, I would bet it and maybe got to a few games
    when in the hell was the last time you went to an NBA game.

Goat Milk

The idea is good to give 35 year olds that can't keep up in the NBA a chance to still be competitve for a couple more years at a lower level.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Another possibility is the players themselves could form a new league. I got a feeling all these suggestions could have some significant legal ramifications.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I would watch that. Sounds a lot like college hoops... a ton of guys giving their all during a fleeting moment on center stage while a few unknowns become household names. They could pregame each game with player story like they do before the NCAA tourney. The shortened season would add to the meaning of the games. Reality television + basketball.

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

Here's my way and I mean WAY the F out of the box suggestion........but it might just be so out of the box, so EFFed in the head.......that it just might work!

You get a bunch of scabs, CBA guys, whatever, and start playing in a new league - but in a league that has new, bigger dimensions

You make the court and/or ball and/or rim bigger/higher, and maybe tinker with the scoring rules a little bit, maybe have a 4-point shot that is really hard, and you also maybe take a look at the rules and refereeing in general to at least try to make it more clear and consistent regarding what is and isn't a foul and a rules violation

The result will be less scoring, but the goal is to get a MUCH much much more strategy-oriented and team-oriented and more nuanced game

I think the result will be a game and product that is far far more attractive to fans over the long haul

Right now you really do just have something that is creeping dangerously close to professional wrestling, and that's maybe slightly good in the very short run, but disastrous in the long run

Just take a look at soccer, which has universal and enormous appeal with almost no scoring, and the natural higher appeal of college hoops, specifically because it has a more team-oriented feel to it, and you see how there really could be a great product of professional basketball, but you would have to make some key essential changes

perfect opportunity here!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    when in the hell was the last time you went to an NBA game.
    Nets last year 5 games

Players made a big mistake here, no one cares about them

This is not the NFL

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDime View Post
    Here's my way and I mean WAY the F out of the box suggestion........but it might just be so out of the box, so EFFed in the head.......that it just might work!

You get a bunch of scabs, CBA guys, whatever, and start playing in a new league - but in a league that has new, bigger dimensions

You make the court and/or ball and/or rim bigger/higher, and maybe tinker with the scoring rules a little bit, maybe have a 4-point shot that is really hard, and you also maybe take a look at the rules and refereeing in general to at least try to make it more clear and consistent regarding what is and isn't a foul and a rules violation

The result will be less scoring, but the goal is to get a MUCH much much more strategy-oriented and team-oriented and more nuanced game

I think the result will be a game and product that is far far more attractive to fans over the long haul

Right now you really do just have something that is creeping dangerously close to professional wrestling, and that's maybe slightly good in the very short run, but disastrous in the long run

Just take a look at soccer, which has universal and enormous appeal with almost no scoring, and the natural higher appeal of college hoops, specifically because it has a more team-oriented feel to it, and you see how there really could be a great product of professional basketball, but you would have to make some key essential changes

perfect opportunity here!
    They did try something like that. Go to about the 2 min mark

CarpeDime

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post

yeah I think this supports my point actually

when a game with Dean Cain and Flea and 50 point clown shots is basically as compelling as the real pro game, it might be time for a change to the real pro game

I mean, I'm not sure what the ticket and merch revenues and TV ratings for the NBA have been recently, so maybe they don't need a change, but my sense is that general interest is waning

Maybe the NBA as it is now will still always have a minimum level of fan interest and can endure and be profitable, I don't know what the numbers are

illmatick
    Update your status
    illmatick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Would probably be more interesting than current NBA regular season. I prefer actual basketball over loafing and scoring.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Actually for those old enough to remember the old ABA was great! And eventually the talent was dam good. Fights were allowed to be finished, hockey like...now that was cool.

SBR_John
    Wisky

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...explainer.nba/

I found this clip very informative.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDime View Post
    yeah I think this supports my point actually when a game with Dean Cain and Flea and 50 point clown shots is basically as compelling as the real pro game, it might be time for a change to the real pro game I mean, I'm not sure what the ticket and merch revenues and TV ratings for the NBA have been recently, so maybe they don't need a change, but my sense is that general interest is waning Maybe the NBA as it is now will still always have a minimum level of fan interest and can endure and be profitable, I don't know what the numbers are
    NBA ratings were through the roof last year and the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...explainer.nba/ I found this clip very informative.
    ABA when they allowed 90% white guys to play instead of the blacks? They did not let you play if you were black unless you were clearly dominant. Americans shouldn't have had slaves if they didn't want black people to dominate sports

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

ABA when they allowed 90% white guys to play instead of the blacks? They did not let you play if you were black unless you were clearly dominant. Americans shouldn't have had slaves if they didn't want black people to dominate sports
    I call BS on that. I was a Spurs season ticket holder, should say mom and dad were and i tagged along. Both leagues the NBA and ABA were about half black back in the early 70's from what I remember. Out of starters we had 3 or 4 black starters. I'll test some good memories and say there was 'Captain Late' James Silas at point, George the iceman Gervin at shooting guard, Billy the whopper Paultz at center, Larry the grasshopper Kenon(who dribbled the ball off his foot with 6 seconds left down 1 against the 76ers...still hurts), and the guy who recently died Mike Mitchell(sp?). 4 black 1 white.

Goat Milk

I call BS on that. I was a Spurs season ticket holder, should say mom and dad were and i tagged along. Both leagues the NBA and ABA were about half black back in the early 70's from what I remember. Out of starters we had 3 or 4 black starters. I'll test some good memories and say there was 'Captain Late' James Silas at point, George the iceman Gervin at shooting guard, Billy the whopper Paultz at center, Larry the grasshopper Kenon(who dribbled the ball off his foot with 6 seconds left down 1 against the 76ers...still hurts), and the guy who recently died Mike Mitchell(sp?). 4 black 1 white.
    It depends the year we are talking about. I'm sure you are right. During the Wilt and Russel era, a lot more black people were trying out for the league and getting rejected, when the rumor was these guys were much better than a lot of the white guys that were playing.

CarpeDime

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

ok i stand corrected

I was under the impression interest was declining

in that case, hey don't change a thing

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Another possibility is the players themselves could form a new league. I got a feeling all these suggestions could have some significant legal ramifications.

How long would it take to go broke if the players started their own league?

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...explainer.nba/

I found this clip very informative.
    good clip

there is no way a league started by the players would last.

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

Like anything though, good heart felt stories throughout the season about the "Kurt Warner" like grocery store stock boy who is playing for his family... It would work for at least 1 season... and I actually think people would buy into it...

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

Amare was talking about this a few weeks ago. Could be a possibility, due they really have the money to do that? There just millionaires, owners have to be billionaires.

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

Cannot happen

NBA has LOCKED OUT the players

Cannot lock them out then say they'll let them play

This country has labor laws

On the other hand, the players have every legal right to form their own league

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Highly doubt any NBA players would cross the picket line. Maybe nbdl players

12 Last