k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

You can just create "stars" like Vince Mcmahon does and Dana White tries to do but fails at it.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    If NBA started a new league the owners would win long term

People would eventually come out, so called nba stars would be forgotten eventually

If Lebron never played again in the NBA in 5 years no one would ever knew who he was

Its called life and everyone moves on
    For once JJ is right.

If every NBA player died, nothing would change and life would go on.

They are meaningless in the big picture.

It would not affect any of us as we have our own life problems already.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Shaq was on the View the other day (yeah I know).

His two quotes: "NBA = Nothing But Actors especially in California"

"I agree with my mother who said it's pretty sad when a group of billionaires and millionaires can't figure it out so regular people don't lose their jobs"

Yes, he's no longer playing so it's easier for him to say now. But how many of us called this weeks ago? The owners will win. This isn't their main income. They have all the power and the real people who are going to be hurt are the ones who can least afford it because they're only making a regular wage if that. If all the current stars of the game never played a game again, the NBA won't die. Once the players realise that they have a shelf life like everyone else before them, maybe then they'll come back to reality.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

haha just saw k13's post

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

I don't believe this for a second. Another JJ special trying to get the traffic going on a Wednesday morning. I'm not saying that there's an easy solution but making a declaration of 2 years is pure speculation. Not happening.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Like some posters have said new stars would evolve

James would beg back in for 2 million per year

Lets not kid ourselves

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Like some posters have said new stars would evolve

James would beg back in for 2 million per year

Lets not kid ourselves
    Didn't an Italian team offer Kobe $1M for one game?

Sounds like a better deal than playing in America

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Now the players will file an anti-trust suit against the league and then it is basically court issue.. It would probably be January before it even gets into court and it could be alot longer than that.

When the players dissolved their union they basically ended the 2011-12 season, and the owners have said they will declare all current contracts basically void, and every player becomes basically a free agent.

All these antitrust moves may be to scare the owners back to the bargaining but its going to be tough to do anything when you just dissolved your union. Even if the NBA were to have season next year, who the hell is going to pay to see this mess.

It took major league baseball years to recover from their strike and that americas sport, the NBA may never fully recover and become another ABA.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

The ABA will return with a vengeance.. The future is now

widebody2
    widebody2's Avatar Become A Pro!

On one side its obvious that the NBA is a star driven lead....no one comes to the stadiums to watch luke walton and lamar odom....everyone is coming to see Kobe play. Everyone is coming to see lebron and carmelo etc.

On the other hand I think the NBA would do fine bringing in scabs. Get the guys from team flight brothers and all the best and most exciting players from D leagues and college. Make the game exciting. I think 95% of real NBA players would be begging to come back for even half of their salary's within a month. I bet most of them want to come back right now, but just don't want to be the guy to say it.

If you do the math the entire lockout makes no sense for the players.

Average nba player years left to play=6
    Average salary = $3,000,000
    Average NBA player is set to make $18,000,000 over the rest of his career.

Missing this entire year will cost each player on average $3,000,0000

Taking current owners offer will drop their pay say 8% (and that is being really conservative). This means if they take current deal they will lose 1.4 million over their career.

So which is better? Take the deal and lose 1.4 million (not even) or lose the year and lose 3 million?

Now I made up all of these numbers but I think they are somewhat realistic. Too bad NBA players can't do math, or the ones who get it are to afraid to speak up.....and don't even give me this "we are doing it for future generations of NBA players because everyone knows thats bs

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6771

i like to watch some basketball... the good matchups, then the playoffs... but the league really does have too many problems... hopefully it gets fixed and the same changes are made for stupid rules and suck-ass officials too that ruin games

there are reasons i spend cash on 1-2 NFL games a season and have been to 2 playoff games, but don't spend a dime on the NBA...

UNCGQ
    UNCGQ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 905

Like was mentioned . . . almost none of the owners are in the NBA for the cash since many are operating at losses. Owning a franchise is another form of a carbon fiber toilet seat, it's something wealthy people own for their own personal amusement. It's vanity.

They're not worried about 'franchise value' either, the average length of ownership is currently around 14 years so they'll recoup any temporary loss of perceived value without issue in the long run. They're also not going to lose $100m per team in value for sitting two years either. (by not paying salaries for two years they'd save $105m if they're right at the cap level).

It's not the wisest decision to call the bluff of the guy whom you can't hurt financially. There are 11 owners whose net worth is listed in billions.

Would they rather play? Sure, but since it's not going to hurt them financially, then the rest is pride and vanity.

To state the obvious again, for every game check the players miss, they'll never get that money back and the owner's offer will only get worse as time goes on.

It'd also be better for the owners who own their arenas to go ahead and write off the season earlier rather than later so they can generate some revenue by renting their arenas out and keep from having every date perpetually in limbo by the labor stoppage.

First 123