Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

In new book, Shaq explains how his relationship with Kobe went sour

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-wp9983

If you've followed basketball for any amount of time over the past decade, you are probably well aware that Shaquille O'Neal(notes) and Kobe Bryant(notes) don't get along with each other particularly well. Even before Shaq was traded to the Heat in 2004, it was common knowledge that their relationship had become untenable. Since then, there have been profane freestyle raps, barely veiled insults, and plenty of other incidents. It's the feud that won't die. The NBA even promoted it as its top Rivalry for years after Shaq had lost his status as one of the best big men in the game.
    Now that O'Neal is retired and a full-time media personality, he's written a new book about his life and career with the help Hall of Fame writer Jackie MacMullan called "Shaq Uncut: My Story." Not surprisingly, there are several stories about Kobe. Deadspin has several excerpts, which we have excerpted even further after the jump.
    So I'm on edge because I don't have a new deal, and Kobe is on edge because he might be going to jail, so we're taking it out on each other. Just before the start of the '03-'04 season the coaching staff called us in and said, "No more public sparring or you'll get fined." ... Phil was tired of it. Karl Malone and Gary Payton were sick of it. ... So what happens? Immediately after that Kobe runs right out to Jim Gray and does this interview where he lets me have it. He said I was fat and out of shape. He said I was milking my toe injury for more time off, and the injury wasn't even that serious. (Yeah, right. It only ended my damn career.) He said I was "lobbying for a contract extension when we have two Hall of Famers playing pretty much for free." I'm sitting there watching this interview and I'm gonna explode. Hours earlier we had just promised our coach we'd stop. It was a truce broken. I let the guys know, "I'm going to kill him."
    Kobe stands up and goes face-to-face with me and says, "You always said you're my big brother, you'd do anything for me, and then this Colorado thing happens and you never even called me." I did call him. ... So here we are now, and we find out he really was hurt that we didn't stand behind him. That was something new. I didn't think he gave a rat's ass about us either way. "Well, I thought you'd publicly support me, at least," Kobe said. "You're supposed to be my friend."
    Brian Shaw chimed in with "Kobe, why would you think that? Shaq had all these parties and you never showed up for any of them. We invited you to dinner on the road and you didn't come. Shaq invited you to his wedding and you weren't there. Then you got married and didn't invite any of us. And now you are in the middle of this problem, this sensitive situation, and now you want all of us to step up for you. We don't even know you." ...
    Everyone was starting to calm down when I told Kobe, "If you ever say anything like what you said to Jim Gray ever again, I will kill you."
    Kobe shrugged and said, "Whatever."
    [...]
    From that day on, I was done dealing with Kobe. I was done dealing with Jim Gray, too. What goes around, comes around. When he got fired, he actually had the nerve to call me and ask me to help him out. What, did you lose Kobe's number?
    Shaq adds:
    He was so young and so immature in some ways, but I can tell you this: everything Kobe is doing now, he told me all the way back then he was going to do it. We were sitting on the bus once and he told me, "I'm going to be the number one scorer for the Lakers, I'm going to win five or six championships, and I'm going to be the best player in the game." I was like, "Okay, whatever." Then he looked me right in the eye and said, "I'm going to be the Will Smith of the NBA."
    My first Lakers season we had a couple of rookies, and we hazed them pretty badly. We were dogging them out constantly. It was "Go get my bags, go get me something to eat." It was kind of a rite of passage in the NBA that a lot of teams do, but we probably went a little too far with it. One of the rookies—Derek Fisher(notes)—just took it. The other rookie—Kobe Bryant—ratted us out to Jerry West.
    There's more in the Deadspin post, including some tough-guy talk aimed at Jim Gray and a very silly, unnecessary story about snail-mail correspondence with Halle Berry during Shaq's time at LSU. The Kobe passages are the clear headline grabbers here.
    The specifics of their falling out are interesting, even if their feud is old news for NBA fans. Lakers fans will be especially interested, I'm sure. But who outside of Los Angeles still harps on these he-said, he-said tiffs? Now that Shaq's retired, does Kobe even care anymore?
    We'll find out if Shaq's book doesn't sell many copies. With stories like this one, it's the market that ultimately determines relevance.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

I'd purchase this book.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

kobe sounds like he would have an A+ rating at douchebagreview.com

Ricki Roma
    Ricki Roma's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just wow.. Never liked kobe too much cause he was an arrogant prick, guess,i was right. Not that shaq is a saint though

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Yeah I'd buy the book too. Not a Lakers fan but Shaq's bloody entertaining and he's always come across as quite forthright.

tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good stuff

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Shaq's the man. Kobe is a little bitch.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

What a bunch of girls.

"The Will Smith of the NBA."

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

shaq is an entertainer...you dont think he embellished alot of stories to make his book more sell-able?

id rather go buy some fiction garbage than this book.

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Kobe was definitely an immature loner bitch when he came into the NBA

but the guy has the best work ethic out of anyone

Its a shame he couldnt have made it work with Shaq but odds are people behind the scenes were feeding into it as well

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

heres two guys who had talent and all the money in the world but have no class and doesnt know that they needed each other to have one of the greatest runs in basketball but both of their egos got in the way and it never happened ,,i dont know who is worse kobe thinking hes god or shaq thinking he can do what he wants no matter what ,,,,and since both of them like to taste the other fruits besides there wifes,,as far as im concerned,they are both losers

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

gonna be a good read, im sure its sensationalized.

the will smith of the nba, l about died when i read that.
    Last edited by thetrinity; 11-01-11 at 11:03 AM.

NSN21
    NSN21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7886

I would be very interested in reading this, and I'm a die hard Lakers fan

Ricki Roma
    Ricki Roma's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chime in lakerboi

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

Gotta side with shaq. We all know Kobe is a douche and shaq is one of the funniest, coolest, generous dudes in the sports world. Granted he is probably broke due to his egregious spending but still gotta love the guy

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

KOBE

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

If Fatdaddy wasn't a lazy fukker and applied himself REMOTELY CLOSE to the way Kobe did/does.........the Lakers would have won at least another 3-4 titles with that tandem.

Born and raised in SoCal........I'm a Lakers fan for life. I'll always appreciate what Shaq did/brought to L.A., but the guy was too lazy to stay in shape and work on his short-comings. Shaq badmouthed Dr. Buss, the organization, and even the FANS when he left.

Guy turned into the ultimate ring chaser. Kobe most definitely got the last laugh.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

shaq's father is homeless and lives on the street cause he refuses to help. that alone makes him the biggest d-bag alive.

not to mention he once delayed his surgery to the start of the season cause he got "hurt on company time" he wanted to "recover on company time."

also yelled profanities at the owner demanding to be paid while he was the highest paid player in the league.

shaq is a class a asshole and not the lovable teddy bear some believe he is.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: William Walters

Quake
    Quake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Good stuff

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

fukk em both. just a couple of prima donnas.

Mad Thunder
    Mad Thunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

WTF?? Will Smith of the NBA??

While it's not exactly a perfectly good idea for Shaq to be saying all this now... it still goes to show what kind of person Kobe really is..

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    shaq's father is homeless and lives on the street cause he refuses to help. that alone makes him the biggest d-bag alive.

not to mention he once delayed his surgery to the start of the season cause he got "hurt on company time" he wanted to "recover on company time."

also yelled profanities at the owner demanding to be paid while he was the highest paid player in the
    league.

shaq is a class a asshole and not the lovable teddy bear some believe he is.
    From what I understand shaq's dad didn't want anything to do with him until he was making bank...Everything else in his lost I agree with. Shaq was great at finger pointing but failed to look in the mirror...

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Djstucky View Post
    From what I understand shaq's dad didn't want anything to do with him until he was making bank...Everything else in his lost I agree with. Shaq was great at finger pointing but failed to look in the mirror...

not true.

he was around for the birth and the first few years of his life. then went to prison for dealing (prob needed extra cash to feed that fatass shaq). when he got out, his gf (shaqs mom) had already married some military man.

the step-father confronted him and threatened to kill him if he ever tried to contact shaq, before moving the family to germany. he still tried to see his son but shaq's mom's family wouldn't tell him where they had gone.

he literally had no idea what had happened to him until reading a newspaper article about him.