cocknocker
    cocknocker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Leans for Thursday 1/8/09

Well with only two games on the schedule we are faced with tough calls to make, especially in light of the two Texas teams playing at home. Neither one of these teams are ready to give up their home court advantage.

San Antonio is 19-1 straight up at home against the Clips over the long haul, and on their end, the Clips are 3-0 ats in their last 3 games in San Antonio. However, the Spurs have had average spreads of 14 to cover in those games. But what sticks out in my mind is that the linemakers keep giving them the same type of line, and for this game, the line is 13.5. translated, the linemaker actually does believe that the Spurs really are that much better than the Clips at home. What is happening is that the Spurs are underperforming. The Clips just barely lost their last game against the Mavs, controlling the action in that game for the majority of it, only to meltdown in the end of the third quarter and the fourth quarter. This is due to a lack of depth. The Clips are a team in turmoil as well. Baron Davis and Mike Dunleavy Sr. are going at it these days, Ricky Davis can't put down the blunts, and with Zach Randolph and Chris Kaman down this is a pot that is simmering and on the verge of boiling over. So at the insistance of the linemaker that the Spurs should be covering the large spreads against the Clips, I will roll with the Spurs in this one, as they absolutely dismantle Pacific Division teams with a 5-1 ats record against them. San Antonio is also 8-1 ats in games following a non conference game. It is hard as hell to get consecutive ats covers in games in the Lone Star state, and this is for all intents and purposes a Texas triangle trip with the Hornets on the back end instead of the Rockets. Besides, mediocre teams that lose a close hard fought game to a superior opponent tend to get blown out in the following game when facing another superior opponent. I will take the chalk, as 91% of the public is putting their faith in the Clips to get the cover. Not me.

San Antonio-13.5 (no cut on it, won't be necessary)

As a side note, the over is 3-0-2 in the last 5 games in Texas between these two teams.

One look at the Dallas/New York game and I wondered, why is the line so small? The Mavs are usually favored by 13 points or so over the Knicks in games in Texas between these two teams. For the record, the Mavs are 5-0 straight up in the last five at home against the Knicks, but they also have alternated wins/losses in those games as well. Since this is an out of conference game, obviously the Mavs are not used to what the Knicks are doing on the court. With the Knicks loss to the lowly Thunder in their last outing, this game is a perfect set up for wagerers. And like Lee Corso says, "Not so fast". I am going to go with the public on this one and take the Knicks to get the cover against the Mavs as I smell a rat as well. I also see that the over is alternating in each game as well to boot. However, I like the side on this one. The Knicks are such an unpredictable team that they rival Dallas in the effect that they play either up to or down to the level of the competition. Dallas is 1-4 ats in their last 5 games with a spread of more than 8. And guess what? The Knicks are 4-1 ats in games as an underdog of 8 or more points.

Knicks +8.5

There will be reverse movement against the Knicks, so I probably will ge them at +10 when the line goes up to 9 or 9.5. So please nobody ask me about the reverse line movement later on today. I want the Knicks to get as many points as possible whether the linemaker is trying to trick me or not. The Mavs won't win this game by 10 regardless of the line movement.

College football

Florida Gators-4

College Basketball Parlay of the Day

Drexel+3.5
    Butler-10.5
    New Mexico State-5 (this one won't be close may want to play it straight)
    Last edited by cocknocker; 01-08-09 at 12:50 AM.

jaymac82980
    jaymac82980's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

CK, long time reader, first time post. which one of these three picks are you most confident in??

nick2060
    nick2060's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1096

Only pick tommorrow is Florida, good luck on the rest bro

jaymac82980

im in need for a "steam game". haha. I have been thinking Gators would be the way to go all week, but with so much public backing it makes me nervous. an argument could be made for both sides. I have also been thinking the over would be easy, but most of the bowls have gone under. even though I think O and FL should destroy the board quickly. it makes me nervous when I read so many people thinking otherwise on this site.

Razz_Donkey
    Donkey of the Razz
    Razz_Donkey's Avatar Become A Pro!

CK,

What are your thoughts on first half lines for Clippers @ Spurs? No spread has been set, but I'm guessing it will be around 7 or 7.5 for the half... Do you think Spurs jump out with an early lead and go into cruise control from there? Might this be a smart line to take? Thanks for the input!

stakagrp
    stakagrp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Way to go on that PC pick today CK. Too bad I didn't put enough on the game. I was a bit worried about the big spread that Cavs had to cover but it seems that any team that has beaten Boston aside from the Lakers do really go down in flames. Its like the Madden curse.

I like your picks for tomorrow. I hate seeing big spreads such as with the Spurs. I believe that they should cover with the Clips being short-handed and all. Which one of your plays do you like best?

jaymac82980

ck, the mavs destroyed the blazers at home on christmas, they are capable of keeping up with a yuonger team. And the knicks can be "unpredictable". What do you think of a teaser giving the knicks 4 more points and dropping san antonio minus 4 less points? I havent seen you post teasers, so I'm not really sure on your opinion.

woodyman
    woodyman's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah i was also wondering about a teaser for spurs and knicks, thoughts?

lambogb
    lambogb's Avatar Become A Pro!

hey ck first time poster as well.. i like the knicks pick would u play that big?
    really wanna play florida -4 too, and under 69.5.. but not if its a tossup. any thoughts?

(dont like the spurs after they barely beat philadephia after leading big all game)

im new to all this though so..

rainmaker23
    rainmaker23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey CK, I agree with all your picks except for Florida. Been watching NCAAF all season, and I smell an upset, I'll pass and be careful on this. We'll cash in on NY and SAS guaranteed!

great job anyway! thanks!

isiah121
    isiah121's Avatar Become A Pro!

CK looks like the books lost a lot of money yesterday. Will they try to trick us today?

danrman
    danrman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

the early look

well speaking of the 2 nba games it has been my experiance over the years that when there is 2 games 1 fav. will hit and 1 dog will hit so i will throw that out there.. a reverse parlay would hit if thats the case...

nyk-dallas... dallas is about to go on a western road trip and the 2 teams they will face first is rival phoenix and then sac.. the knicks are at houston and then at new orleans as they continue there roady.. one thing to keep in mind is knick coach d'antoni is of course familar w/ the mavs being a former phoenix coach

lac-sa... the spurs have 2 tough home games coming up on this home stand w/ orlando and then major rival lakers.. my early knee jerk reaction would be to wonder if the spurs could keep their interest in the lowly clips when they had orlando and la on deck.

in very early betting i dont understand it but the public is backing the clippers at 67% and then knicks at 88%... dallas has been absolutely awful at covering the spread at home this year...

my "personal play" on davidson won and that makes my record 4-2 on these plays released between 5:30 and 6:30 central time in this great thread... god bless ck and the other cappers on this thread as between all of us and myself, i was able to go 9-1-1

for the national championship out of 125,000 bets 65% of the public is on fla.. for those who care i dont have my pick yet on this game but i will have one tomorrow...

NBA Hero
    NBA Hero's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like san antonio esp the attitude that the players have with popovich their coach. but as of late the clips are playing better without the baron, and camby seems to have a new life.

been so long that camby played well and a threat down the middle, toronto days???

SA plays eratic at times, coz they are relying on their young guys more esp ginobili is not that hot as of late

stakagrp
    stakagrp's Avatar Become A Pro!

lac-sa... the spurs have 2 tough home games coming up on this home stand w/ orlando and then major rival lakers.. my early knee jerk reaction would be to wonder if the spurs could keep their interest in the lowly clips when they had orlando and la on deck.

I'm glad you brought this point up with spurs next upcoming games Danrman. Spurs aren't like the cavs or celtics. I've seen them with large leads at home and then blow it. They win at the end but it concerns me whether they will cover cuz of lost of interest in the game. Unlike Boston or Cavs, they tend to have a hard time maintaining their dominance and lead. I'm a little skeptic but with this huge spread I guess even the bookmakers believe that they will cover.

gdaujat
    gdaujat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

Hi,
    My bets for tomorrow are :
    New York v Dallas +8
    New York v Dallas Under 208
    La Clippers v San Antonio + 13

Well done on your wins today, I am slowly getting to work had 2 good days of betting and hope to keep going.

Peace
    Greg
    Melbourne, Australia

BookBuster
    BookBuster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1858

Hey CK good call on that PC play yesterday. Not much NBA today so I'm just on CFB. I know you said Florida up there but do you think Oklahoma +17 is a good bet? I teased it because I personally think these bowl games are hard this season. Let me know what you think.

Dexter
    Update your status
    Dexter's Avatar Become A Pro!

About 2 months ago I was telling my friends that whatever you do this bowl season, be sure to bet oklahoma and florida – well, it aint so easy now. My early lean was on Oklahoma, but have now had second thoughts after watching ole miss take care of tech. First, lets look at some ats numbers. The sooners have gone over in 11 of 12 this year, while the gators have gone over in 8 of 12. both teams are 10-2 ats this year, while the sooners have obviously not been in the underdog role. Florida has been 10-2 ats as a favorite.

Florida is ranked 17th in the nation in total yards on offense while putting up 45ppg (ranked 3rd). They are ranked 62nd in passing and 11th in rushing. On defense (the key) they are ranked 8th in total yards and give up just 13ppg. Ranked 16th vs the pass and 15th vs the run.
    Now the Sooners are ranked 3rd in the nation in total yards, but you must factor the easier defenses they get to play compared to florida. They rank 3rd in passing and 18th in rushing – score 54ppg - Best in the nation. Now, the deal breaker for me. On defense the sooners are ranked 63rd overall and 99th vs the pass/16th vs the run. They give up 25ppg, ranked 59th in the nation.

Is Oklahoma’s defense a little underrated based on the fact that they play in the high scoring Big 12? Perhaps – but to me, Florida’s defense is tons better, with speed all over the field. Safety Ahmad Black has 6 picks for 2TD’s this year, and he may be the x-factor in this game. While I expect both offenses to put up points, I think Florida makes that key play or 2 on defense to separate themselves. The way Ole Miss took care of Tech really helped continue to solidify my opinion on this game in a large way. The weather looks great, and i expect both teams to go up and down the field with ease and regularity. Game is in Florida, and perhaps a slight home field advantage for Florida – if not for the fans in the seats, the fact that the game is played in their state. Florida has gotten 65% of the public bets and the line has moved up from 1.5 to 5.
    -Florida - 47
    -Oklahoma -37

*florida (large)
    *over (large)
    knicks are in a pattern the last 4 games of winning/losing (both su-ats) - that suggests a good performance may be coming tonight, and the mavs seem like a good match. mavs are just 4-13 ats at home, while the knicks are 14-10 ats as dogs this year. mavs won earlier in the year at the garden, so i expect the knicks to play with some passion as they try to avenge that loss. mavs may be looking ahead to the suns tomorrow, while the knicks dont play again until sat. always good for the dog in case they are down big (starters could play longer and sneak in the back door).

*knicks
    Last edited by Dexter; 01-08-09 at 08:09 AM.

jalein
    jalein's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2650

Went 4-0 last night with the 7 unit play on Clev -14 driving the car. I dont care who you are a +13 unit day is good for ANYBODY. Thank you CK and CK Mafia. This has been GREAT. Not only because my roll keeps climbing, but because the education about trends, line movement, public money etc has been tremendous!

Now on to tonight's game......

I am of the general opinion that the Big 10 and the Big 12 conferences are frauds. Yes, I am aware that sounds harsh and I know they are talented yada, yada, yada. But the fact is that they are one dimensional teams. These conferences seem to obsessed with offense. Their elite teams offensively can stand toe to toe with the big boyz. At first glance, it may be an over generalization but if you look at it and what they have done it is a plain statement but it is rooted in basic truth. The Big 12 is a great example. Texas beat Oklahoma straight up. Texas Tech beat Texas and Oklahoma gave Texas Tech BUTT LOVE on national TV. The common theme of the winning team in all of these games is high scoring offensive production. Another common theme, except the OU/TT whooping is that these games were won by shootout. My point is that as offensively talented as they are they couldnt even play defense against themselves in their own conference. Next, who have they (meaning the Big 12) played that has anything comparable defensively speaking to the SEC? Dont worry, I will wait. Further the SEC's 4th place team Ole Miss MANHANDLED Texas Tech. Former #1 Texas Tech. Offensive juggernaut Texas Tech. Am I saying that OU is incapable of winning this game? No. Am I saying that they are NOT battle tested against anything close to Florida's team defense, speed and athleticism? ABSOLUTELY.

Factor that in with the fact that OU/Stoops has gotten rectally violated in their last 4 BCS games, the fact that OU has a chip on their shoulder about them NOT being able to play defense (OU's defensive players talked about that foolishly on ESPN the last few nights) and that Florida is playing GREAT football with a fearless fullback for a QB, Mr. Tim Tebo???? I think it may be tight early, but as soon as Florida makes a big play, particularly on the defensive side of the coin, that OU will tighten up and the pressure, lack of defensive talent and the weight of recent BCS performance will weigh them down and they will get kicked to sleep by Florida. Also, the fact that the OU QB declares for the draft two days before the biggest game of his life (HUGE mistake in my opinion) will be a tightness factor too. The OU publicist should have schooled the players better than that. I dont think it will be close.

Right, wrong or otherwise, I got 8 units that says Florida.

BOL guys and gals

zackattack
    zackattack's Avatar Become A Pro!

go against the ESPN bottom line tout games went 5-1 yesterday and i will post todays picks later if any.
    hey CK am i right to think we will be betting against rockets next game after beating celts?

Dexter
    Update your status

hou in okl city tomorrow - good eye zack. i'll be playing the thunder for sure.

Ludovike
    Ludovike's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the PC play yesterday!
    Funny how CK predicted Houston cover

Well, today I'm in favour of the Dallas game, though I won't take a side
    The under trends are too tempting to resist:
    Under is 4-0 in Knicks last 4 overall
    Under is 4-1 in Knicks last 5 vs. a team with a winning S.U. record
    Under is 6-1 in Knicks last 7 games as an underdog of 5.0-10.5
    Under is 5-1 in Mavericks last 6 vs. Eastern Conference
    Under is 4-1 in Mavericks last 5 vs. a team with a losing S.U. record
    Under is 4-1 in Mavericks last 5 after scoring 100 points or more in their previous game
    Under is 9-3 in Mavericks last 12 home games vs. a team with a losing road record

Knicks - Mavs Under 207,5

BOL to everyone

JohnMorr08
    JohnMorr08's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great day yesterday CK.... +17 UNITS !!

Cleveland +5 Units (PC play)
    Indiana / Detroit TEASE +5 Units (CK's Advice)
    Indiana +5 Units
    Detroit +5 Units
    Miami -3 Units

Hitting NY +10 5 Units today (Glad to see that you are on it)

joanapoker
    joanapoker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack View Post
    go against the ESPN bottom line tout games went 5-1 yesterday and i will post todays picks later if any.
    hey CK am i right to think we will be betting against rockets next game after beating celts?

yes man, pls put that info here! I've found that very interesting....it can't be just coincidence but I'm liking so far....

nice call on the Over PHI/MIL and PHI team!

late bets from yesterday:
    DET/POR UNDER 177 Win ---- thx to CK
    POR -1.5 Loss ----- half f**ing point!! should have follow CK on DET+2.5
    GSW +9 Win ---lucky me!!

Once again thx for the PC play yesterday!

Today's plays so far: (only CK picks)
    Florida -4 (had to buy one point)
    New Mexico State -5
    Last edited by joanapoker; 01-08-09 at 09:02 AM.

Dexter
    Update your status

joana - was the sixers a play based on zacks espn conspiracy theory? i thought it was just on the total.

jcljack25
    jcljack25's Avatar Become A Pro!

The BCS title game gets so much publicity that, even though Fla looks like the obvious choice and the books dont like the obvious choice to win, they want the big money to think its too easy and go with Okl getting points. I say go with the obvious because with extra weeks to prepare and keep his players sharp, I am betting on Meyer over Stoops. It helps that FL has the better, faster team and Okl has not seen a secondary like the one they will see tonight.

Since this is an NBA thread: I will add that I agree with SA and NYK picks as well.

The only thing is just how bad the Knicks played against OKC, that keeps me from going big on NYK.
    Last edited by jcljack25; 01-08-09 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Adding

cocknocker

stakagrp,

You are correct. The Thunder will get an insane amount of points in that game, and when you couple that with the blowout loss to theT-Wolves, the public will take Houton in record numbers. I estimate that the Rockets will be favored by double digits, and have at least 70% of the public on their side; Bettors who will forget how Houston has cost them so much money going 2-7 ats. What i find interesting is that the Rockets are alternating ats covers in thier last 4 games...obviously we all know that they covered in their last game...Houston is 1-4 ats in games where they have been a favorite of more than 8 points...

I am surprised that joanapoker is the only one who spoke up about the impending blowout on tap this evening of New Mexico State over Nevada. This is more a pick against Nevada than a pick for New Mexico State. I don't really know how good (though I do know that they are good)New Mexico State is, but i do know that Nevada is garbage. And just for the record, I will be playing college hoops on Saturday during the day. We are in the conference now, and I have a pretty good guage on what to expect from the teams now, and the averages are set in stone. Look for me to start playing some of these college games straight. I have quite a few juicy picks for Saturday lined up and i am gong to be a wagering fool that day, gringos!

chipper8888
    chipper8888's Avatar Become A Pro!

whats with the big line move in the college game ? now at -5.5

maddogmadden86
    maddogmadden86's Avatar Become A Pro!

with you on knicks and florida lets get that bank tonight CK, great night last night with the pc play and the pistons and under owe you big time my man

chipper8888
    chipper8888's Avatar Become A Pro!

what about the over for the college game ?
    could be 100 point game

maddogmadden86
    maddogmadden86's Avatar Become A Pro!

atvi up another 3% gentlemen, game stop just posted 10% higher same store sales stock is up 10%, activision up 14% since i recommended it

Dexter
    Update your status

ck - whats your thoughts on the total between florida/okl tonight?

cocknocker

You know what, maddog, I am goin to get me some atvi in a few moments.

chipper8888,

all of my college games are doing exactly what the line is supposed to do. With 87% of bettos on Virginia Commonwealth the line was supposed to go up on their side.

Butler is staying pat at 10.5 with 64% of bettors on their side

Nnew Mexico State is going up 75% of bettors on their side as well.

I have already played the Knicks at +8.5 buying a hook, as because of the amount of bettors on their side (64%), the line is doing what it is supposed to do and go down a bit. I have seen it go down to 7.5 on some books already, so I rushed and played it at 8.5, since the line was already down to 8 on Greek. San Antonio's line was supposed to go down as well with only 36% of bettors on their side too, and it has now at 12.5. I have the number of 11.5 in my head, so I will watch this line today to catch it when it goes down to 12, so i can buy a hook and get my desired line. i fully expect that the Spurs will win by double digits in this one. Despite their poor record in games favored over 8 in recent form (1-3-1) the Spurs are 4-5-1 ats in the long run in games where they are favored more than 8 points. Interesting tidbit is that the last 4 games that they did cover favored by more than 8 points, the team that was coming in was a sub .500 team that had either 1 days rest, or was playing the back end of a back to back which obviously the Clips fit this criterion. More synergy numbers, all of these teams also had a straight up loss in that previous game, and only Sacramento covered in their previous game, albeit a 15.5 spread handed to them against the Hornets. With the Clips losing in their previous game, I expect more of the same type of poor performance.

shoebox
    shoebox's Avatar Become A Pro!

Zack,

I like your theory why dont you keep a record of fading espn under your tag, thanks buddy. I know one thing there horrendous at picking baseball.

cocknocker

You know Dexter,

I don't have much of a recommendation on the total for this national championship game. My spin is that it will have to go under in order for Florida to win. But the problem with that theory is that Brandon James may take one all the way to the house for an "unexpected" touchdown and blow that theory away. If the Gators can score against Alabama's defense, they damn sure can score against the Sooners. I'm staying away from that one.

zackattack
    zackattack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    joana - was the sixers a play based on zacks espn conspiracy theory? i thought it was just on the total.
    dexter is right.....the play was just on the sixers team total to go over 94.....this was based on espn saying how bucks have held opponents to 89.9 ppgover last 5 games....the reverse play was to play philly team total over which it did easy to 110

1234 ... Last