No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

NBA is committing suicide

Honestly, does anyone give a shit that they aren't going to play? I've been an NBA fan for 30 years, but college basketball is a more exciting product anyway and I frankly couldn't care less if I never see another pro basketball game. This is just turning me off more. I can only imagine what the casual fan thinks. There has been a disconnect since MJ retired anyway -- this is just going to drive people further and further away from their already fading product.

This isn't the NFL. I wonder what kind of fanbase this league will come back to once the pissing match finally gets resolved.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

Selfish...players dont give a fukk about anyone but themselves...you know how many people are out jobs?

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by YorkHunt View Post
    Selfish...players dont give a fukk about anyone but themselves...you know how many people are out jobs?
    Fire them all and start fresh. The league will survive.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: zeron

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gonna be tuff going to interviews with all those tattoos.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bryant81

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

I couldn't care less, honestly. Hopefully every one of those chained-up thugs take their talents overseas..

OmgUrMom
    OmgUrMom's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd rather have a 40-60 game season, games mean more.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    I couldn't care less, honestly. Hopefully every one of those chained-up thugs take their talents overseas..
    I just don't think the NBA's very popular in the first place. I'd love to see actual attendance figures if you take away corporate ticket sales.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

It will be the same exact thing when they come back. Nothing can or will change.

OmgUrMom

Quote Originally Posted by YorkHunt View Post
    this is relevant how?

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

college basketball is nowhere near as exciting, all the decent players stay one year if that.

kobe, lebron, dwight howard, these guys never played college ball so how can you say it's more exciting?

let's take a poll of who will miss the nba, and i will bet that almost every person that lives in an nba city will say they will miss it. and almost every person that doesn't live in an nba city will say that they won't.

people that say "nobody cares about the nba" don't know too many black people or urban people. of course rednecks from the sticks haven't cared about the nba since larry bird
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: scholesy

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Can't believe TV networks are dumb enough to give guaranteed money to Owners in every sport

If I was an owner I wouldn't evens show up to negotiations, knowing that I have that guaranteed money in my back pocket. Stern is gonna retire soon, he doesn't give a **** if they play or not

OmgUrMom

If the stat i read was true that 23/30 franchises are losing money for their owners, players really should be the ones to make more concessions imo.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

I live in an NBA city and I could care less if the league folded. The NBA used to be good, but shitty since around 2000 and later.

Play, fold, who cares.

People were going crazy when the NFL was on strike, but hardly anyone gives a crap about the NBA.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Many owners are not making money. They have three things in mind for this CBA:

1. They know the players cannot manage money. They believe the players union will splinter after half a season of no paychecks. The owners have money and can manage it. The owners also do not care about the franchise employees, the vendors, the ushers, etc....... so don't think that is a factor.

2. The owners are tired of players having leverage on where they can go to play - a la the Boston, Miami, and New York fiasco. If you cannot keep the rights of small market teams like Cleveland and Denver able to keep players even if they are willing to pay, then small market teams will die. This must end.

3. The owners have all of the leverage. The union cannot decertify - if they do, all of the guaranteed contracts are null and void.

The only way the players come out of this alive, is if a bunch of them find an alternate league, like Europe or Asia to make their money and wait out the owners. The only way to impact owners is to hurt them beyond a year -- the owners are assuming that the Union will cave in six months. If they don't, then the owners will panic.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

thats why I always knew those "Nba Cares" commercials were bullshit. was just a little CYA after the Artest fallout. Wonder what the new commercial will be if they come back. "Hey the NBA still cares, we fought it out over billions while the average joe gets bent over by the economy. Now here's a video of us giving some hobos a bath. See? we care!"

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    people that say "nobody cares about the nba" don't know too many black people or urban people. of course rednecks from the sticks haven't cared about the nba since larry bird
    WTF? Dude, I'm originally from Detroit. Been a Piston fan for three-plus decades. I honestly couldn't care less. Nice stereotyping though.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    Many owners are not making money. They have three things in mind for this CBA:

1. They know the players cannot manage money. They believe the players union will splinter after half a season of no paychecks. The owners have money and can manage it. The owners also do not care about the franchise employees, the vendors, the ushers, etc....... so don't think that is a factor.

2. The owners are tired of players having leverage on where they can go to play - a la the Boston, Miami, and New York fiasco. If you cannot keep the rights of small market teams like Cleveland and Denver able to keep players even if they are willing to pay, then small market teams will die. This must end.

3. The owners have all of the leverage. The union cannot decertify - if they do, all of the guaranteed contracts are null and void.

The only way the players come out of this alive, is if a bunch of them find an alternate league, like Europe or Asia to make their money and wait out the owners. The only way to impact owners is to hurt them beyond a year -- the owners are assuming that the Union will cave in six months. If they don't, then the owners will panic.
    Sharp post.

arnoldrothstein
    arnoldrothstein's Avatar Become A Pro!

If it wasn't for the NBA can u imagine how many 7foot janitors there would be

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

So many people are out of jobs who work in these stadiums, especially the stadiums where the NBA is the only thing in town. Oklahoma City, Portland, Sacramento, Utah, etc.

Sucks. I don't even care about the league that much, I just hate to see these people lose their jobs.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive

OmgUrMom

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldrothstein View Post
    If it wasn't for the NBA can u imagine how many 7foot janitors there would be
    like 20?

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    So many people are out of jobs who work in these stadiums, especially the stadiums where the NBA is the only thing in town. Oklahoma City, Portland, Sacramento, Utah, etc.

Sucks. I don't even care about the league that much, I just hate to see these people lose their jobs.
    Yep, those are the people to feel bad for. Some cities like those you mentioned, including San Antonio, only have the NBA so it hurts them the most.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

The NBA has and always will blow.

Shit sport, Shit players, too much money thrown around. I say fuk them all.

Fuk em boys .
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: obamaismyuncle

ncsubowen
    ncsubowen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would love to see the league fail. Get all of the owners and players out. Put them back on the streets where they belong. In addition to increasing the competitiveness of college ball (no 1 and done players) we can get out of the 82 game drudge that is the NBA season. Maybe a new, revamped league would have 40-50 games (or fewer), and these guys might actually try.

OmgUrMom

lots of people obviously jealous of nba players in this thread

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

I'm pissed. It's how I make my money. CBB is too hard to predict. I'm missing the NBA more every day and getting more pissed at the greedy, overpaid players.

But the the league is committing suicide. Throwing away a decade of growth and fan support off of a great year and they'll be back in the dog house whenever they start playing again. This lockout, unlike the NFL one will leave an awful taste in peoples mouths for years.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Delonte West looking for a job in a Furniture store.....I don't think anything else needs to be said

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    WTF? Dude, I'm originally from Detroit. Been a Piston fan for three-plus decades. I honestly couldn't care less. Nice stereotyping though.
    so you call yourself a pistons fan yet you "couldn't care less"??
    i would hate to read what someone that isn't a fan would say

so how is my stereotyping wrong if you USED TO BE FROM DETROIT and you USED TO CARE ABOUT THE NBA sounds like my stereotyping is dead on

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by ncsubowen View Post
    I would love to see the league fail. Get all of the owners and players out. Put them back on the streets where they belong. In addition to increasing the competitiveness of college ball (no 1 and done players) we can get out of the 82 game drudge that is the NBA season. Maybe a new, revamped league would have 40-50 games (or fewer), and these guys might actually try.
    "put them back on the streets where they belong"???

WOW are you implying that all black people are supposed to be homeless and living on the street? thought this was 2011 not 1911

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    so you call yourself a pistons fan yet you "couldn't care less"??
    i would hate to read what someone that isn't a fan would say

so how is my stereotyping wrong if you USED TO BE FROM DETROIT and you USED TO CARE ABOUT THE NBA sounds like my stereotyping is dead on
    Here is what you said:

What does my opinion about the NBA have to do with knowing black people, living in the sticks, etc.? I know black people, I don't live in the sticks, and I couldn't really care less about the NBA anymore. It's not the league it used to be.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Monte
    Monte's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OmgUrMom View Post
    I'd rather have a 40-60 game season, games mean more.
    This. Only the mlb is worse, everyone is glad when the playoffs finally start.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by OmgUrMom View Post
    If the stat i read was true that 23/30 franchises are losing money for their owners, players really should be the ones to make more concessions imo.
    Didn't the players already give up 6 points and the NBA wants 14? Seems like the players see everyone begging to pay the star players, paying for big advertising deals, getting NBA tv, Jersey sales, new stadiums so they don't believe owners aren't making money. It's kind of like government budgets...who knows what they are actually taking in and spending.

kmoney
    kmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

dont blame the players, its a lockout not a strike. the players were even willing to take a paycut

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Players were getting 57%, would agree to 53%. Owners want a 50-50 split.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Here is what you said:

What does my opinion about the NBA have to do with knowing black people, living in the sticks, etc.? I know black people, I don't live in the sticks, and I couldn't really care less about the NBA anymore. It's not the league it used to be.

One has nothing to do with the other.
    you are talking in circles. if you "couldn't care less" then you wouldn't care enough to start a thread about how much you don't care...

it's not the league it used to be because you either got less fun, older, or both. nba games are the most fun in all of sports. non-stop action, when's the last time you saw each team score 50 times in an nfl/mlb game? if nba players wore helmets like nfl players to hide their blackness it would be the most popular sport in the u.s.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

You guys talk real tough with football and playoff baseball going on...

Wait a couple months, you guys will be begging for your loverboy Lebron...

1234 ... Last