anthonydiamondLC
    anthonydiamondLC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1741

It would be nice if the NBA could strike a deal here in the 11th hr

Just read an article on espn that all the main labor negotiators for both sides are meeting now to try and get this deal done in the 11th hr. I personally will be pissed with the cancellation of the season. Living in ny the knicks just got relevant again and now we have to wait. Nothing is better then when the garden is rocking. Lets hope something big happens tonight.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

I dont think they would cancel the WHOLE season, that's a losing proposition for both sides.

but i'm be so happy too, if they could start the reg season on time. hopefully they agree on 52-48.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

yes i need nba, i'm 2-31 in nfl

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They will settle hopefully

I love nba

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

since when are the knicks relevant?

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

More money to be made in the NBA than NFL...

anthonydiamondLC

The NBA is amazing, but if they don't get this done we are in jeopardy of losing the games on Christmas. I don't know about you guys but if we lose those games I don't know what I'll do.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

if they dont get a deal this week how many games they losing?

if they cancel 2 weeks they probable only lose like 4 5 games max... they only play like twice a week anyway

anthonydiamondLC

Losing the games right now is the incentive to move faster, but once they start throwing some of the season it's gonna be easier for them to just wait longer. They need to get this done now!

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

more than 20 nba teams are losing money...with no nab season...owners will be saving money actually.
    Last edited by vyomguy; 10-09-11 at 09:53 PM.

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

That would be awesome if they got it taken care of now!

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Not gonna happen...when 23 or so owners lost money last year they save money by not playing....that's where the players don't get it, there are only a handful of owners who will get screwed. Not everyone is the Lakers & Mav's

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Derek Fish, and Union Prez will go down in a ball of flames after the owners obliterate them come negotiations in January. Players with marginal contracts that have not saved money during the 2 past years after being warned of a lockout will fold first. Then owners will apply more pressure by threatening the concellation of the full season, which will be the the last straw.

As long as the owners do not make any mistakes, they will get what they want. Players and their Union are acting on false hope that there will be a better deal on the horizon. Nope.

My guess is that some bum starts missing child support payments for his fifth kid, and gets the ball rolling on players signing an even worse deal than that has been offered.

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The owners are more than willing to lose the season. The players think they have some leverage, but they don't. The players are idiots and really pissed off the owners with the free agency circuses. the owners will not have a season without a hard cap. The players are the ones to blame for this one, regardless what they say.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    more than 20 nba teams are losing money...with no nab season...owners will be saving money actually.

I would say fewer. I think maybe 4 or 5 are profitable. And of those a couple are taking advantage of the system. Clippers are profitable every year, mostly because of where they are and how the system subsidizes the losers, but most teams dont have LA or the staple center. So the subsidies arent enough.

I would say Lakers, Celtics, Clippers, Bulls, Knicks, Rockets And probably Oklahoma because theyre new and are winning, give them a year or two and theyll be losing money too. Now Clippers and Houston benefit from how the league divides the money. So other teams that show ap rofit might actually be losing money but are getting subsidized enough to by the league to show a profit. Thpse would probably be teams like Sun, Raptors, maybe Cleveland now but theyre probably still losing money, and maybe the Pistons.

Now according to Forbes I think they said 13 made money last year, but I am not sure how they calculated the data, or what they called a profit. According to the NBA only 8 made a profit. But if the league as whole loses money then it doesnt matter how many teams make a profit. So you get a few teams that make a lot of money giving money to teams losing alot of money and there isnt enough to go around .

Considering how scary the real world economy is it is laughable how these guys throw figures around like they do. But in the end it still comes back to the consumers, just like everything else. Everyone pays for it. TV deals are given to give these guys big salaries, those TV deals mean more higher priced commercial spots, those higher commercial spots means a higher price for the products being advertised. Unless theyre getting tax breaks, which gets the tax payers on the other side.

But basically it is like everything else, you have billionaires fighting with millionaires in trying to decide how much they can milk out of the general population to help keep them in a cash flow. They should let it fail, then see what happens. Hockey did it. And you see the reality of a sport that doesnt have TV revenue subsidizing it, its best players make at most 2-3 million a year and average guys make a couple hundred grand. All sports should be like that, too bad they arent.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

Fukk the NBA

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    Not gonna happen...when 23 or so owners lost money last year they save money by not playing....that's where the players don't get it, there are only a handful of owners who will get screwed. Not everyone is the Lakers & Mav's
    Save money? They stop the losses but they also can't earn any money. Some players are in much better positions then some of the owners.

James

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

they should shut the league down for good and put these assholes to work in car washes

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    I would say fewer. I think maybe 4 or 5 are profitable. And of those a couple are taking advantage of the system. Clippers are profitable every year, mostly because of where they are and how the system subsidizes the losers, but most teams dont have LA or the staple center. So the subsidies arent enough. I would say Lakers, Celtics, Clippers, Bulls, Knicks, Rockets And probably Oklahoma because theyre new and are winning, give them a year or two and theyll be losing money too. Now Clippers and Houston benefit from how the league divides the money. So other teams that show ap rofit might actually be losing money but are getting subsidized enough to by the league to show a profit. Thpse would probably be teams like Sun, Raptors, maybe Cleveland now but theyre probably still losing money, and maybe the Pistons. Now according to Forbes I think they said 13 made money last year, but I am not sure how they calculated the data, or what they called a profit. According to the NBA only 8 made a profit. But if the league as whole loses money then it doesnt matter how many teams make a profit. So you get a few teams that make a lot of money giving money to teams losing alot of money and there isnt enough to go around . Considering how scary the real world economy is it is laughable how these guys throw figures around like they do. But in the end it still comes back to the consumers, just like everything else. Everyone pays for it. TV deals are given to give these guys big salaries, those TV deals mean more higher priced commercial spots, those higher commercial spots means a higher price for the products being advertised. Unless theyre getting tax breaks, which gets the tax payers on the other side. But basically it is like everything else, you have billionaires fighting with millionaires in trying to decide how much they can milk out of the general population to help keep them in a cash flow. They should let it fail, then see what happens. Hockey did it. And you see the reality of a sport that doesnt have TV revenue subsidizing it, its best players make at most 2-3 million a year and average guys make a couple hundred grand. All sports should be like that, too bad they arent.
    I feel a couple hundred grand is way too low.

James

wantitall4moi

Quote Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
    I feel a couple hundred grand is way too low.

James
    What would they be making without the league?

Half of them would probably be in prison, and some of them go there anyway. The other half would be knocking bitches up and putting them on welfare, Might go there now since most of the guys in the league have a half dozen kids by several different women. Most of them need to work to make child support payments.

The mentality of sports these days is unreal. Back in the day before it became a scam most if not all the great ones had regular jobs and they played sports as a hobby. Not exactly sure when it all changed but it wasnt a good thing I can tell you that.
    Shit I can remember in high school the NBA finals werent even shown on live TV, they were on tape delay. And thatwas on the radio not even on TV. So it wasnt that long ago the NBA didnt mean shit. Bird and Magic saved it, and Jordon helped promote it. But since then it has been living on credit and dreams, just like everyone else.

Make all these guys learn some responsibility, not just hoops players but all athletes. Beatthatsense of entitlement out of them and you might get somewhere. A little dose of reality is good for everyone., NFL had the chance and they blew it, mostly because the money they rip off people is too much to pass up. NBA isnt in that position they dont have the leverage. And we saw how well some guys did with the possibility of no season and no supervision with the NFL guys, how many of them were arrested this summer? Imagine the NBA, TMZ will probably have to hire more people just for the NBA arrest reporting.

bobbyfk
    Las Vegas Local
    bobbyfk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Hoping for an NBA season

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Hope they cancel the season, the league decides to fold, and we never have to watch the shitty NBA again.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

What would they be making without the league?
    stupid premise

you can say that about any sport....what would all the dominicans in the majors be doing if there was no MLB?

and where do you get that the best hockey players only make 2-3 mil a year? because, well, that's just incorrect...they get less than nba sure, but far more than 2-3 mil

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

To the above posts...NHL minimum contract is 500k I believe. So ya, the best players definitely make more than 3 mil

Mad Thunder
    Mad Thunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

It would be nice... but can't be too sure with all the egos involved..

MARVEL
    MARVEL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 935

The NBA is making money. The NBA has global appeal something that the NFL does not have. Basketball is the 2nd most popular sport in the world. Look at the love NBA players get in Asia. This lockout is being used as a way for David Stern and his cronies to hundreds of millions of dollars as the NBA continues going global. I'm sure some teams are losing money but aren't the owners billionaire businessmen? Am I missing something? Nobody told them to sign Rashard Lewis and other bums to these crazy deals. If they don't want to lose money they need to be smarter on how they spend money or sell their teams.

maxvalue1
    maxvalue1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

come on NBA...sportsbettors need ya

Flexin

What would they be making without the league? Half of them would probably be in prison, and some of them go there anyway. The other half would be knocking bitches up and putting them on welfare, Might go there now since most of the guys in the league have a half dozen kids by several different women. Most of them need to work to make child support payments. The mentality of sports these days is unreal. Back in the day before it became a scam most if not all the great ones had regular jobs and they played sports as a hobby. Not exactly sure when it all changed but it wasnt a good thing I can tell you that. Shit I can remember in high school the NBA finals werent even shown on live TV, they were on tape delay. And thatwas on the radio not even on TV. So it wasnt that long ago the NBA didnt mean shit. Bird and Magic saved it, and Jordon helped promote it. But since then it has been living on credit and dreams, just like everyone else. Make all these guys learn some responsibility, not just hoops players but all athletes. Beatthatsense of entitlement out of them and you might get somewhere. A little dose of reality is good for everyone., NFL had the chance and they blew it, mostly because the money they rip off people is too much to pass up. NBA isnt in that position they dont have the leverage. And we saw how well some guys did with the possibility of no season and no supervision with the NFL guys, how many of them were arrested this summer? Imagine the NBA, TMZ will probably have to hire more people just for the NBA arrest reporting.
    You sound racist as hell.

Why are they getting paid so much? Things moved from radio to tv. Tv expanded and got cheaper. More people were able to watch it. The sport gets popular which makes it worth more to advertisers.

To be the best you have to have the best group of guys in your offices and on the floor. If someone is real good then there is a chance there are others that want that person as well. Do they go to the team that has the best logo or the one that is going to pay the most money?

Between the players, agents and owners they jacked the price up. Its big business.

Would you like someone that can't do your job to walk in and say you should be getting paid 10% of what your getting paid now? I would tell that person to kiss my ass.

All that being said if the league is losing money then the pay will stop at some point. You can sign for an amount with 15 zeros on it but if there isn't any money coming in then the offer isn't worth the paper its wrote on.

Something has to give but they need to be fair. Without the players the league is nothing. Fill the courts with no names and you are pretty much starting all over again.

Without the league the the players don't have a whole lot. They can go to another country and make money but not near what they are making in the US for most of the players. Some could go to other sports. Some could go into business doing something. So would go back to school and do any number of things.

I just started watching a lot of basketball again after the last lockout. I will be pissed if they don't play this season. I might wait another 10 or 11 years before watching again.

James

HustleGetPaid
    HustleGetPaid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5089

Love the NBA, end the lockout!!!

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hope they do cancel the season. I like the NBA the least of the big 3 sports. I got so tired of seeing these guys sandbagging games because they don't mean anything. Ticket prices are outrageous. I live in Miami
    area and hate listening about heat all the damn time. Of all the sports these players are the biggest morons. Let then take their talents to turkey on national tv. So they can try to sell out 3500 seat arenas

kfranz31
    kfranz31's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1914

they dont need an 11 hour they need an eleventh month

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
    You sound racist as hell.

Why are they getting paid so much? Things moved from radio to tv. Tv expanded and got cheaper. More people were able to watch it. The sport gets popular which makes it worth more to advertisers.

To be the best you have to have the best group of guys in your offices and on the floor. If someone is real good then there is a chance there are others that want that person as well. Do they go to the team that has the best logo or the one that is going to pay the most money?

Between the players, agents and owners they jacked the price up. Its big business.

Would you like someone that can't do your job to walk in and say you should be getting paid 10% of what your getting paid now? I would tell that person to kiss my ass.

All that being said if the league is losing money then the pay will stop at some point. You can sign for an amount with 15 zeros on it but if there isn't any money coming in then the offer isn't worth the paper its wrote on.

Something has to give but they need to be fair. Without the players the league is nothing. Fill the courts with no names and you are pretty much starting all over again.

Without the league the the players don't have a whole lot. They can go to another country and make money but not near what they are making in the US for most of the players. Some could go to other sports. Some could go into business doing something. So would go back to school and do any number of things.

I just started watching a lot of basketball again after the last lockout. I will be pissed if they don't play this season. I might wait another 10 or 11 years before watching again.

James
    why does he sound racist? he didnt mention race i dont think

wantitall4moi

If the season were 30 games and there were only 20 teams it would be a much more entertaining sport. Guys dont try in more than half the games they play and for the most part the last 2 minutes are the only times out of those games they put any effort in. So it wouldnt be a stretch to say that over 99% of the regular season is wasted.

They all get paid way too much for what they do and how much effort they put into it. Sure the scrubs try a little harder but that is only so they can maybe get a bigger contract and slack off once they do.

As far as what I said before being racist, not hardly. its the truth. And that is just the stuff we hear and know about, how many secret kids do these guys have? It is just part of the whole culture it breeds. While football and baseball starts young, in hoops they actually put these guys into their own leagues when theyre really young. throw them into prep schools and just push them through. Look at the guys who are supposed to be good and dont make it. Half of them cant read. So if they dont make the NBA after 10-12 years of being groomed for it then what? No one likes to talk about the failures.

Also as far as being a worldwide commodity, doesnt mean shit. The world economy is shit too. So where are they going to get the money to do anything the US cant? if the money was there these euro clubs would be able to offer them more than they are, and they wouldnt be putting up such low (by comparison) salaries.

Pick'nParlays
    My Wifi Name is PrettyFly4aWifi
    Pick'nParlays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

i wont back the nba players like i did nfl

Mad Thunder
    Mad Thunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

Unless a miracle happens, pretty sure that more than just the first 2 weeks of the season will go out the window...
    Last edited by Mad Thunder; 10-10-11 at 09:35 PM.