moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Big Sonics/Suns trade coming?

What do you guys think about this one? I think Rashard is underrated and Marion disappears in big spots, but I think the Suns would be making a huge mistake in getting rid of Barbosa and picking up Fortson of all players.

DraftExpress.com - Multiple sources told DraftExpress on Saturday that the Phoenix Suns and Seattle Supersonics are working on a potential blockbuster trade.

The Sonics have implied to numerous people over the past 48 hours that “something is going to go down,” while another source in Seattle told us that the Supersonics are “getting very close” to finalizing a trade.

While the exact details of the trade are still unknown, numerous names have been mentioned as key components. The main ones are Shawn Marion and Rashard Lewis, who would be exchanged along with the team’s first round draft choices (#10 for #27). Other pieces that are being discussed include Leandro Barbosa and Danny Fortson.

Seattle is interested in moving Rashard Lewis due to the fact that they believe he will opt out of his contract next summer and end up losing him for nothing. With so many concerns about the future of the franchise in Seattle, the best way to put fans in the seats is certainly to start winning more games, which is the primary motive of this trade.

Phoenix’s motive is to avoid the luxury tax for next season, which they are dangerously close to, and still keep the team as competitive as they are now. The Suns still have to extend Boris Diaw for 5 years and anywhere from 45-55 million dollars, which would put them well above the luxury tax threshold.

With Leandro Barbosa looking for a contract starting in the 7-8 million dollar range, and Steve Nash, Amare Stoudamire and Shawn Marion making max or near max dollars, keeping their core together past next season does not appear to be very likely.

Instead, the Suns can save quite a bit of money in the long term by taking on Rashard Lewis’ more affordable deal and securing an immediate contributor (such as Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer) on a cheap 4 year rookie contract. Lewis makes over 5 million dollars less than Marion.

Danny Fortson would be used as filler to make the trade work under the cap. He is an ending contract next year and could either give the Suns more toughness, rebounding and depth, be used as trade bait, or bought out of his contract. That depends on whether or not he can resolve his differences with Jerry Colangelo, whom he sued for defamation in 2004 for calling him a “thug” in the media after breaking Zarko Cabarkapa’s wrist in a game between Dallas and Phoenix.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not so sure that Fortson can fit in with that suns offense. not to mention he does commit alotta fouls, which would hurt that run and guy type offense they play.

moses millsap

Fortson aside, what do you think of the trade? Main parts being Lewis and Marion. If I were the Suns and could deal Marion and the 27th for Lewis and the 10th, that'd be a steal, but I think adding in Barbosa for Fortson gives the Sonics the better end of that deal.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just when you think the Suns have all the pieces in place for a run at the championship (with Amare)...

Trading Marion would be comparable to the Chargers selling Drew Brees. Plain stupid.

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    Just when you think the Suns have all the pieces in place for a run at the championship (with Amare)...

Trading Marion would be comparable to the Chargers selling Drew Brees. Plain stupid.
    I think the Suns may be able to pick up a good piece at #10 if the deal is just Marion/27 for Lewis/10 and that would be worth it. Trading Barbosa would be a major mistake, imho.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

D'Antoni is saying there is no way the Suns are trading Marion.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marion is vital to the style of play the Suns employ. Lewis is a star but has application problems and probably won't fit into the Suns system, although I am reserving judgement on that. There's no doubt in my mind that Lewis is more talented but his energy level is way too low to fill the gap Marion will leave.

If the Suns get rid of Barbosa, they will be the subject of many "Worst Trade Ever" discussions during the course of the next decade.

I can't imagine a worse player for the Suns style than Danny Fortson. I am confident he won't be wearing a Suns uniform any time soon.

The Suns have many vital pieces to their core and they won't be a cheap team. The job for the front office is to find a way to keep Nash, Stoudemire, Marion, Diaw, Bell, and Barbosa in house. Tim Thomas proved himself valuable in the league once again but I'm not completely sold even though his market value may never be higher. Kurt Thomas was very important to this team also but there should be a less expensive, perhaps even younger option available. I'd be pursuing a package that includes both Thomas boys and returns a tough power forward and some high draft picks. If the Sonics are really anxious to move Lewis then the Suns should take him but not at the expense of Marion. Beyond that, they need athletic, young players who are cheap to plug into the mix. Rodney Carney would be a dream for this team.

moses millsap

Looks like the Suns agree on the Fortson issue. I disagree on Lewis and Marion, I think Lewis can perfectly thrive in that Phoenix system and think if the Suns can swap Marion for Lewis, while jumping from #27 to #10, it's a move that have to make.

Lewis could go in draft deal
    Possible swap for Shawn Marion one of several Sonics scenarios

FRANK HUGHES; The News Tribune
    Published: June 28th, 2006 01:00 AM

Enlarge image
    BRIAN BAHR/GETTY IMAGES FILE
    Rashard Lewis (7) plans to opt out of his contract after next season, and he wants a significant raise. The Sonics may consider trading him instead.

By early this evening, the Seattle SuperSonics will know what the hours upon hours of scouting, debating and bargaining have rendered from this NBA draft.
    As draft day approached, the Sonics’ decision-makers holed up in their practice facility and tried to get closer to a consensus on which player they will take with the 10th pick – assuming they keep the 10th pick, their highest since selecting Gary Payton with the second pick in 1990.

In reality, the Sonics would like to trade down in the draft and get multiple picks for next season. They were hoping that a trade partner could be found who wanted a player high enough in the lottery to give up something to leapfrog ahead.

As the Sonics discussed swapping the 10th and 21st picks with Phoenix, another possibility was raised: Along with the picks, trading principals Rashard Lewis for Shawn Marion, with Danny Fortson thrown in for salary cap purposes. The Suns’ Leandro Barbosa also could be involved.

There are six teams in the draft – Portland, Chicago, Phoenix, New York, New Jersey and New Orleans – with multiple picks in the first round, and that is likely where the Sonics are focusing their discussions.

However, they may have to get another team involved if they are to gain a pick in next summer’s draft, which some consider one of the strongest in 20 years.

The Lewis-for-Marion trade is a deal the Sonics likely would make, according to sources, but the snag is that Fortson has a negative history with Suns president Jerry Colangelo.

When Fortson played for Dallas, he broke the wrist of Phoenix rookie Zarko Cabarkapa. Colangelo called Fortson a “thug,” which prompted Fortson to sue Colangelo for defamation.

That, according to sources, is the primary problem, though the talks are not dead.

The Sonics would likely trade Lewis because they are uncertain if he will be with the franchise for the long term. He has said he will opt out of his contract after next season, and he would like a significant raise.

The Sonics will offer him an extension this September, but it is unclear if Lewis will accept or will want to become an unrestricted free agent and test the market.

Marion is attractive because he fits into the Sonics’ uptempo style, which is similar to the Suns’, and because he is a better rebounder than Lewis, who averaged 5.5 a game last season.

If no deal is made, and the Sonics keep their pick, they are focusing on power forwards or shooting guards, but also could take Mouhamed Sene Saer, a 7-foot center from Senegal.

The Sonics are protecting against possibly losing Chris Wilcox, a restricted free agent this summer, the reason they would draft a power forward. The top forwards likely to be available with the 10th pick are Cedric Simmons and Rodney Carney. If Duke’s Shelden Williams is still available, they likely would take him.

The Sonics are looking at shooting guards to protect against injury to Ray Allen, and because they would like another perimeter shooter. If Villanova’s Randy Foye has not been drafted, they would give him strong consideration. Other possibilities are Ronnie Brewer and J.J. Redick, though Redick disclosed on Tuesday that he has a herniated disc.

If the Sonics were able to trade down to somewhere between the 17th and 25th picks, the players they would focus on are, in no particular order, Maurice Ager and Shannon Brown from Michigan State; Kentucky’s Rajon Rondo; Kyle Lowry from Villanova; Rutgers guard Quincy Douby; and foreigners Oleksiy Pecherov (Ukraine) and Thabo Sefolosha (Switzerland).

Regardless of who the Sonics select, they say that player is not likely to see a great deal of playing time next season. The majority of work on the roster was done in February, when three trades were made, and the Sonics think they are two players deep at each position.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

From Arizona Republic:

"There's no way we're trading Shawn Marion," Suns Executive Vice President, General Manager and coach Mike D'Antoni said Monday. "We think our best chance to win a championship is to keep the team intact, and we're going to try to do that with cosmetic changes."

gorox
    gorox's Avatar Become A Pro!

Marion has been a disappearing act the last two postseasons for PHO when they needed him most (most recent western conf finals and the semifinals vs Spurs in 05). This would be a good move for salary reasons and also Diaw is so young. Nash, Bell, Lewis, Diaw, Amare and exempting yourself from the luxury tax, plus getting a quality player with the #10 pick.

FairlySquarely
    FairlySquarely's Avatar Become A Pro!

how about shawn marion and barbosa for lewis, fortson, and any storm player?

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    From Arizona Republic:

"There's no way we're trading Shawn Marion," Suns Executive Vice President, General Manager and coach Mike D'Antoni said Monday. "We think our best chance to win a championship is to keep the team intact, and we're going to try to do that with cosmetic changes."
    So that means they're just going to change their uniforms?

If they do get Lewis while keeping Marion, that team will look very very pretty.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

I think the Suns would be stupid to move Marion. They have been doing great the last two seasons with a not so healthy Amare. If Amare could ever get at a 100%. Marion, Amare and Nash could really create trouble for the NBA. But to do a swap for Lewis isnt going to improve them any.