reppin_the_847
    reppin_the_847's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

WNBA bettors pay attention: The NY Liberty have a clunky commute to their home games

There is no home court advantage when you have this type of setup (they play 3 seasons in a row at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ now instead of the MSG, yet they practice up in White Plains, NY....this makes for some bad commutes):

Two Liberty players in minor accident

By Mike Mazzeo
    Special to ESPNNewYork.com
    Archive NEWARK, N.J. -- Two New York Liberty players were involved in a minor car accident while driving to Tuesday night's game against the Atlanta Dream at the Prudential Center.
    Alex Montgomery and Jessica Breland were driving on Route 21 when they were rear-ended about 2½ hours prior to the 7 p.m. ET tipoff. Neither was injured, and they both played in the Liberty's 79-58 loss.
    "We were shaken up, but it wasn't really a panic," said Breland, who was in the passenger's seat. "The person that hit us was really kind. It wasn't really a messy thing. It was raining.
    "When you're in a car accident you just want to go home and just chill because your nerves are jumping, but we tried to make the best of everything."
    Liberty assistant coaches Monique Ambers and Lady Grooms were also involved in a separate traffic accident en route to the Newark arena.
    "I'm concerned," head coach John Whisenant said. "I think we've got the greatest organization in the world behind us. So I think if there's a solution to it, we'll find it. We obviously didn't do it properly today, but I think there's got to be a bus or a van as a group that we can get here alright."
    The Liberty are slated to play three seasons at the Prudential Center while Madison Square Garden undergoes a series of renovations. Their training facility is in White Plains, N.Y., which makes for a very long commute.
    Normally, the team would take the 27-minute train ride to the Garden, but that's no longer an option.
    "I was concerned that the visiting team, they were 15 minutes away (in a hotel), and we were an hour-and-a-half or longer so that's difficult at best," Whisenant said. "I think we'll solve the fender-bender issue and get a professional driver that will bring us in in the future.
    "Some of our players may like going in their own cars, but we may not make that an option."
    Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.

RoagBettor
    RoagBettor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 297

LOL I was just up in that area last week, I thought I saw some Liberty players on Route 17 in Rutherford driving erraticaly. WTF!

reppin_the_847
    reppin_the_847's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I guess it makes sense. For such a low key group of athletes (and probably bad drivers), the Metro North express train from White Plains wasn't a bad way for them to reach the good ol' Garden. Too bad it isn't as easy to get to Newark.

Do you think the Knicks typically commute in their Ferrari's and Lamborghini's to the MSG? U know those cats rock Benz AMG's and stuff at minimum. Even the most minimum wage NY Knick probably rocks a BMW 5-series. And I'm sure they have dedicated garage spots even in the middle of Manhattan. These WNBA players are playing for minimum wage in comparison to the fellas. It's like comparing the pay of some major airline pilot to that of a dinky feeder airline. No comparison. As long as there is an WNBA, it's gonna remain subsidized by the NBA. And hell, it's only about 8 teams in the NBA that bring in the profits, even the rest are losing money in today's environment.

Quote Originally Posted by RoagBettor View Post
    LOL I was just up in that area last week, I thought I saw some Liberty players on Route 17 in Rutherford driving erraticaly. WTF!