cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Spoelstra: The next Phil Jackson or a footnote in history?

I think this finals series will determine if Erik Spoelstra will become a Phil Jackson-type legend winning multiple titles (if the Heat win this series) or a forgotten footnote in history (if the Heat lose this series I bet he'll be replaced be a veteran coach ASAP). Does anyone agree with me?

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

No. Absolutely not. Spo is not in Jackson's league.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    No. Absolutely not. Spo is not in Jackson's league.
    I'm talking about Phil Jackson-type success not Phil Jackson-type coaching ability.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

So you're defining success as just being in the right place at the right time?

politicin
    FADE DEMENS FOR $$$$
    politicin's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow.

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

You can argue that Phil was also in the right place at the right time.

Bradyd

Quote Originally Posted by cleaveland View Post
    I think this finals series will determine if Erik Spoelstra will become a Phil Jackson-type legend winning multiple titles (if the Heat win this series) or a forgotten footnote in history (if the Heat lose this series I bet he'll be replaced be a veteran coach ASAP). Does anyone agree with me?

Multiple titles help and he will be a legend in his own right. He needs a lot more titles to start getting compared to Phil...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

You think Phil would have all those championships without Jordan, Shaq and Kobe?

I think not.

politicin
    FADE DEMENS FOR $$$$

Close thread/ban OP.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by Bradyd View Post
    You can argue that Phil was also in the right place at the right time.
    The best coach in the world can't win much win inferior talent and v-i-s-a versa imho.

cleaveland

Winning titles is success no matter how you cut it.

politicin
    FADE DEMENS FOR $$$$

Winning titles is success no matter how you cut it.
    So we both can agree Spoelstra has had zero success. Now shut up and beat it twerp.

GTS925
    21-7 Run!
    GTS925's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    You think Phil would have all those championships without Jordan, Shaq and Kobe?

I think not.
    Those guys never won a championship without Phil.

san2c
    san2c's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

hahahahahhaha gtfo man... seriously

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think not.
    Phil and Kobe were together for a few years before Phil got there ... They won it all Phils first year. Spolestra is just a guy who got handed the most star studed team in the NBA and blew it late in Game 2 with some poor choices. If Phil Jacskon was coaching the Heat, they would have been a well oiled machine all year long, cause that what he does. He takes Superstars and Role players and uses them to their max potential.

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

SHAQ won kobe his first three titles, Jordan won all of pippens Phil jackson coached those players

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by wikkidinsane View Post
    SHAQ won kobe his first three titles, Jordan won all of pippens Phil jackson coached those players
    Kobe and Shaq played together for 3 seasons before Phil got there. They won it all i Phil jacksons first year there.

monkeyking
    monkeyking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2490

how can he be phil jackson if he's not even doc rivers yet?

Bradyd

Quote Originally Posted by GTS925 View Post
    Those guys never won a championship without Phil.
    And Phil never won without any of them..

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Do you want people to think you are a moron?

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Why does everyone always need "the next _______" ???

There won't be another guy like Jackson. Spoelstra is the anti-Jackson. In the coming years there will be plenty of drama that arises within the Heat - it's inevitable. Idk how long Spoelstra will last but my guess is sooner rather than later.

TGHMak
    Update your status
    TGHMak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

It wasn't to long ago when everyone thought Spoelstra would be out of a job.

Bradyd

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPedagogy View Post
    Phil and Kobe were together for a few years before Phil got there ... They won it all Phils first year. Spolestra is just a guy who got handed the most star studed team in the NBA and blew it late in Game 2 with some poor choices. If Phil Jacskon was coaching the Heat, they would have been a well oiled machine all year long, cause that what he does. He takes Superstars and Role players and uses them to their max potential.

Come on now.. I love the Phil-machine, but he went to good teams and then put them over the hump. (Just like Spoelstra is trying to do) You are making it seem like Phil went to these rebuiding projects and turn them into champions and nothing could be further from the truth. The current Laker squad only became champions with Phil, AFTER another star got there which made a huge difference...

Phil coached the Lakers the two-time defending champions this year and he couldn't get them to win 1 game against Dallas. So the theory that he somehow could have made the Heat's struggles non existent this season is absurd...

Phil is the man, but let's not try to rewrite history...
    Last edited by Bradyd; 06-04-11 at 11:51 AM.

SportsPedagogy

Quote Originally Posted by Bradyd View Post

Come on now.. I love the Phil-machine, but he went to good teams and then put them over the hump. (Just like Spoelstra is trying to do) You are making it seem like Phil went to these rebuiding projects and turn them into champions and nothing could be further from the truth. The current Laker squad only became champions with Phil, AFTER another star got there which made a huge difference...

Phil coached the Lakers the two-time defending champions this year and he couldn't get them to win 1 game against Dallas. So the theory that he somehow could have made the Heat's struggles non existent this season is absurd...

Phil is the man, but let's not try to rewrite history...
    I think you are really downplaying Phil Jacksons ability as a coach. People would complain no matter what realistic team Jackson won the Championship with. If he was the Knicks coach this year, and the Knicks won, he would not have been given any credit. Jordan and Pipen had two of the biggest Egos in the NBA. (Remember the game in the Playoffs that Pippen refused to go in cause he wasnt getting the last shot? ) He took all these personalities and made them work together. When Dennis Rodman was not feeling connected to the team, Jackson convinced Kerr and Buechler to go out with him and party on a party bus.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea.../straight.html

Look what these guys did after the Bulls broke up. Luc Longly went from being the starting Center to a nobody. Look at Scottie Pippen, went to the Rockets and played with Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley and they lost in the first round.

Ill admit, Phil never had an untalented team, but the NBA is filled with talented teams, Phil just happened to take his and make them champions consistently.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

Phil Jackson is the most overrated coach in the history of prof sports

Bradyd

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPedagogy View Post
    I think you are really downplaying Phil Jacksons ability as a coach. People would complain no matter what realistic team Jackson won the Championship with. If he was the Knicks coach this year, and the Knicks won, he would not have been given any credit. Jordan and Pipen had two of the biggest Egos in the NBA. (Remember the game in the Playoffs that Pippen refused to go in cause he wasnt getting the last shot? ) He took all these personalities and made them work together. When Dennis Rodman was not feeling connected to the team, Jackson convinced Kerr and Buechler to go out with him and party on a party bus.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea.../straight.html

Look what these guys did after the Bulls broke up. Luc Longly went from being the starting Center to a nobody. Look at Scottie Pippen, went to the Rockets and played with Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley and they lost in the first round.

Ill admit, Phil never had an untalented team, but the NBA is filled with talented teams, Phil just happened to take his and make them champions consistently.

I'm not downplaying what Phil did at all. What I am saying is that you can't say Spolestra is a guy who got handed team and Phil wasn't. Phil got handed great teams also. That's the entire point I'm trying to make. Phil didn't rebuild teams and turned them into winners, he took ready-made teams that were a step or two away from a championship and made them winners.

Phil managed egos & personalities to a certain extent. His teams still had fights, players still came out of shape and not ready to play, and team fights spilled into the media all the time. Phil did ok, but he wasn't this great messiah that everybody tries to make him out to be.

Phil is a winner and I can't take that away from him. I'm just trying to put things in perspective that people tend to exaggerate on....
    Last edited by Bradyd; 06-04-11 at 07:02 PM.

7secondsOrLess
    7secondsOrLess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6678

seen the pics of him when he was a video coordinator lmao he looks like a faggotass nerd

Muggy
    Muggy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 344

Spo's not gonna be the next Phil. He's just Spo trying to create his own reputation. Perhaps he'll be in the same conversation as Pat Riley, but him and Phil Jackson shouldn't be in the same conversation right now.

bleek88
    The picture of me on SBR is FAKE NOT ME
    bleek88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey if Spo wins 5 championships ill put him in the same breath as jackson

bleek88
    The picture of me on SBR is FAKE NOT ME
    bleek88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Spo wont be replaced. Some people are clueless.