Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Miami will win Game 1 and the Series: Detailed Write Up

In 2006, Dallas had a two game lead over the heat until they lost the next four. Dirk played pretty well in that series but is much better now. It is clear this series will be very emotional for both Terry, Dirk, and Kidd. My prediction: Miami is 6.

The Heat will try and slow this game down and play in the half court, which may work against them at times. they feel they have some significant 1 on 1 advantages against the Mavs. Pushing the pace early on will help Miami establish rhythm and get the Mavs veterans off their game for a few minutes til they get warmed up. Miami obviously has the athletic ability but the Mavs are the more cerebral and efficient team. What they lose with talent they make up for with execution.

Dirk will be guarded by Joel Anthony and Udonis Haslem. Haslem took this role in 06. I feel as though Lebron might demand to be put on him occasionally in the 4th quarter. Haslem and Anthony are good defenders, I don’t think either can hold down Dirk as it takes a longer player to guard him. Bosh’s defense is horrible but his length might bother Dirk when they switch a couple times a game. Bosh can guard Chandler but maybe he will guard Dirk because Chandler is much stronger, but I still see Anthony starting on Dirk. the Heat will allow Dirk to go 1 on 1 in the 4th quarter and this will be key for the series. They are gonna get the ball out of his hands in the 4th quarter and make someone else beat them. Dirk should have a great series and I expect him to average 24+ a game, and close to 10 rebounds.

Anthony is a non-factor on the offensive end so I don’t think he’ll play that many minutes if he’s not shutting dirk down. Haslem can hit the midrange jumpshot which was critical to the Heat’s success in 2006. Wade and Haslem know how to play against each other against the Mavs and he will be a big factor in this series on both ends of the floor.

I think Tyson Chandler will guard Bosh. Bosh is quicker and more agile than Chandler, but CHalnder is a great defender and I really am not expecting a good series from Bosh. I’m hoping he doesn’t fold until the pressure and can knock down some wide open jumpers. he’ll be fine as long as they don’t try to let him play 1 on 1 against chandler. Wade and James are both very aggressive. The thread I made about Heat will get more calls is obvious. Anyone that knows the NBA recognizes this. Tyson Chandler will be in foul trouble for a few games for the Mavs and its gonna cost them because Haywood is much worse and slow footed. Chandler will play good defensively this series and should get some easy put back dunks. The Heat may counter with bringing Big Z and Dampier (former Dallas Mav that lost in the finals in 06). I would like to see Dampier play andhe just might.

Wade will be guarded by Stevenson, Jason Kidd, and Jason Terry. They are going to try a plethora of guys to guard Wade. He has some significant advantages over all these guys. Stevenson is the best of the defenders but he is really aggressive and he won’t get away with defending Dwayne like that because he’s not guarding a jump shooter. Kidd is crafty with the steal and Wade is prone to turnovers so I think that could be a factor but if Kidd doesn’t get those steals he has no chance to stay in front of Dwayne Wade and the same goes for Jason Terry. Wade has some moves in the 06 film that were driving to the rim at will. He has similar matchups now so I’m predicting a huge series from Wade and possibly the MVP.

Jason Kidd will play well but Bibby has a good matchup here. I think Bibby had a good challenge guarding Rose in the last series and he must be happy to see J Kidd. Kidd will get his offensively but I don’t see him being much of a factor on the defensive end. Bibby will knock down some key shots in this series and I think he will actually play well considering the matchup. Having to guard Rose took out Bibbys legs but now it’s a different story.
    Lebron will be matchuped with Sean Marion and Brewer (most likely) this series. This is where the Mavs are missing Caron Butler. Marion is good on the defensive end but I expect a big series from Lebron. He knows he can get by Marion at will in this series and it will really be up to the Mavs to pick their poison with Lebron and Wade. We saw the 2nd best defensive team in the league hold Wade to under 20 a game average for the series. The Heat didn’t play well offensively and still escaped in 5, just like I predicted. This guy has proven this year he is the best closer in the playoffs along with Dirk. I have called him out in the past for missing big shots but I am not afraid to recognize greatness. Defensively, Lebron will take anyone he guards out of the game completely when he’s motivated, in this case Sean Marion. Marion will be a non-factor in this series. Brewer? He can’t check Lebron. Go ahead and try it Rick. Their best bet is jus doubling Lebron if he gets it in the post which the Heat will look to do. He’s now using the Kobe move where he gets the ball in the post on the elbow so that he is 1 step away from the rim or has a free throw line fadaway jumper.

Jason Terry will have some good games in this series and he will have some horrible games. Wade is motivated to win a championship relying on defense and he will take the challenge of Terry and shut him down for a few games. I feel as though when both are in the game Wade will guard him and try to smother him on the perimeter and make him drive. Overall I see Terry having a below average series, but some big games to help the Mavs win a couple.

Chalmers should be able to well play in this series and guard JJ B. who has done great in these playoffs. He is a key guy off the bench for J Kidd to get rest but Chalmers is one of the best on the defense end at moving his feet against quick opponents. I don’t think Barea will be CONSISTANT in this series, which is what is important. The rest of the bench—Stojakavic should be a factor at times in this series. He is a good bench player and I think he will get some open looks off the Dirk double teams. the Heat will counter with Mike Miller. James Jones is a good option but it really depends on the scenario. Miller is solid at the defensive end, I think he will guard Peja, Terry/Stevenson/Brewer. Whoever the Carlile decides to go with. Miller’s thumbs are messed up but he has some rest now so we’ll see how he responds. The thing is while the Mavs bench is really good, if you take Terry and Barea out of the game the Mavs pretty much have no shot to win that game. Terry is not consistent. JJ does not have a good matchup at all with Chalmers.
    The Heat have the Mavs number I feel is because of their perimeter defenders. Wade and James will win this series with their defense. They will smother the Mavs perimeter defenders, and let Dirk go 1 on 1 for most of the game, until the 4th quarter where he gives it up and the Heat will force someone else to beat them. If they double Dirk, I feel as though their athleticism helps them recover fast enough to contest the Mavs 3 point shots. The Mavs should really try and dominate the half court game because I don’t see them getting too many fast break opportunities in this series.

There will be limited turnovers from both teams in this series, which means less overall fast breaks than expected. Both teams will take care of the ball. The Mavs bench is obviously better because of Terry, but to be honest Udonis Haslem is very valuable in this series. Miami has big guys that have been resting for 2 months AND practicing. They are ready to go. Dampier, Big Z, Maglore. Whoever comes off the bench to handle Brendon Haywood. Dallas has the more complete team, they are the better offensive team, but ultimately, their lack of toughness will be their downfall. While the Mavs have played in the west, they played all weak defensive teams (even the Lakers of this year which was a weird fluke). The fast pace they’ve grown accustomed to coming out of the OKC series is beneficial in this series, but Miami closes out well in transition defense. The Mavs transition defense on the other hand is HORRIBLE. The Thunder exposed the Mavs in this manner. This might not be a big factor but it will add up. The Mavs need to execute in the halfcourt and not be afraid to attack. They are primarily a jump shooting team and that’s not going to work against Miami. The Mavs have guys that can create off the dribble so they need to win the paint and rebounding battle because the Heat are coming into this series determined to shut down the Mavs perimeter shooters.

In the end, I expect Miami to take the 1st game out of pure adrenaline. Dallas looked rusty in the first game of a layoff from the Lakers game, OKC just didn’t execute in the second half and Dallas found their rhythm. Miami will come out hot and punch it down Dallas’ throat early. They will catch up eventually but it’ll be a nice lead going into the 4th for Miami and Dallas just struggles to produce offensie in the 4th quarter when they see the Heat’s defensive schemes in the 4th quarter. I expect a turnover (not sure if they win) in game 2 because Dallas Is the more cerebral team and Rick will make the necessary adjustments. I expect a great series and very close games, right down to the Wire. I would not even be surprised to see Wade/Dirk/Terry/Lebron hit a game winner in this series. In the end, the Heat’s ability to drive the ball and create contact will put them at the line, even if it’s a big game, the refs are not scared to call a foul for 2 hall of famers.
    Last edited by Goat Milk; 05-31-11 at 02:09 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: daimoshokage, and Deggs

qbsafety8
    qbsafety8's Avatar Become A Pro!

After u saying "I think" like 8 times, I couldn't read anymore... Butbi hope yr right about Mia in 6. Go heat!!

Jimb0311
    Jimb0311's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 632

Dallas looked rusty from the layoff from Lakers game? Did you watch the 1st Dal/Okc game?

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

you nail it, very good. I like the Heats in 6 or 7, most likely 7 as the format 2-3-2 where the Heats should protect their home court in game 1 & 2. Then play 3 road games where they can steal one or even two in game 4 or 5 then return home for 2 games. In game 1, it's highly anticipated for the ref to control a high scoring outcome as this will set the tone for the rest of the series for viewing audience, they can't afford a too defensive basketball - boring opening(sound too obvious and shallow ? but it's actually is). And it's perhaps ok for a low scoring later on say in game 2, game 4, 6 & 7 etc in that zig zag style to balance out.

I like to add Joel, Anthony remind me of Rodman & Ben Wallace roll in to one as an important role player for the Heats. gl

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimb0311 View Post
    Dallas looked rusty from the layoff from Lakers game? Did you watch the 1st Dal/Okc game?
    yeah first half, Terry was quoted as saying "we are rusty after the layoff" they were just slow footed on defense in the first half. They turned it around in the second half but miami won't give them that luxury of folding up shop.

GL with your bets

Goat Milk

Just put in the following bets

Miami to win the series -175 Risking $875 to win $500
    Miami to win the series 4-2 +350 Risking $100 to win $350
    D. Wade. MVP +300 risking $50

He's not giving lines out for tomorrows game as of now so I'm going to wait to see if I can get -4, or I might take the ML. I want to put more on the series but I'm content with these bets because I know how good Dallas is and I am going to bet individual games. I already have future bets on the Heat so this is good enough.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with most of your discussion points, however:

1) I disagree that a fast paced start will surprise or bother the Mavs. They use this tactic themselves frequently and prioritize getting early shot opportunities for Stevenson/Chandler to get them going early (as well as Peja/Terry from the arc, when they enter the game late in the 1Q) as Kidd/Dirk/Marion are more consistent self-starters.

2) Haywood has played very good defense recently and has been an aggressive rebounder at both ends. Chandler is better, but Haywood is not a big liability.

3) It's obvious from Wade's recent play that he's not healthy right now and it's affecting his shot. There's no way he will be the deciding factor in this series to the point that he would be the MVP. I would much rather see him win it than Lebron, but I think it's very unlikely.

4) The Mavs are a much more complete team than the Bulls. Where Chicago was largely dependent on Rose to initiate offense on the drive, the Mavs have several very capable ball-handlers in Kidd/Barea/Terry/Dirk that are patient enough to operate an efficient and smooth halfcourt. I agree the Heat need to stress perimeter defense, but the Mavs are going to generate a good number of clean looks through superior execution (compared to what the Heat have seen so far). If the Mavs can knock down these shots, the Heat are going to have a hard time beating the Mavs in the series, especially when Dallas switches to the Dirk/Peja/Terry/Kidd/Barea combo that they tend to do when these guys are shooting well and they want to push tempo.

I think it will go 6+ games and the Heat should win and cover Game 1. I would lean to the Heat winning the series, but not strongly. The tempo should be high to start so the opening total seems really low to me (although the series will become a more defensive one later on).

Goat Milk

GL SK I agree with your points and I fully believe that Dallas would have swept the Bulls. You are wrong about D Wade. He is 100% healthy was just bothered in teh Chicago series by strong perimeter defenders. No one on the Mavs can stay in front of this guy. How are you going to say he won't be healthy when he pretty much carried teh Heat in the series against the Celtics, averaging over 30 a game. He has much better matchups in this series than he did against the Bulls....don't forget about defense. Wade with smother Jason Terry on the perimeter and Terry will not be consistnat over the course of 7 games

Don't feel so confident about the Mavs perimeter shooters. Remember, the NBA finals is a series of consistancy. The Mavs are jump shooting team. The Heat's biggest strength is smothering perimeter players....

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    You are wrong about D Wade. He is 100% healthy was just bothered in teh Chicago series by strong perimeter defenders. No one on the Mavs can stay in front of this guy. How are you going to say he won't be healthy when he pretty much carried teh Heat in the series against the Celtics, averaging over 30 a game.
    He was receiving attention for his shoulder repeatedly during the games late in the Chicago series (The last Boston game was 3 weeks ago...). He did get defended very well by Chicago, but he was tentative in his shot. The fact that he still averaged 19ppg is testament to his talent, but the majority of those points came from drives, fastbreaks, and FTs. He only attempted 5 3pt shots (made only one) in the entire CHI series, and he needs to be effective from this distance to have any shot at the MVP.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Just put in the following bets

Miami to win the series -175 Risking $875 to win $500
    Miami to win the series 4-2 +350 Risking $100 to win $350
    D. Wade. MVP +300 risking $50

He's not giving lines out for tomorrows game as of now so I'm going to wait to see if I can get -4, or I might take the ML. I want to put more on the series but I'm content with these bets because I know how good Dallas is and I am going to bet individual games. I already have future bets on the Heat so this is good enough.
    And good luck with your bets. I feel like MIA -4 is a winner. My only stake in the series is the Over 186 in game 1, and after that it'll pretty much all be just-for-fun wagering for me in the Final.

TeamTT
    TeamTT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

D wade for MVP is a long shot imo

GGRIF82
    GGRIF82's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

BETTER WATCH OUT HERE!
    IM ON DALLAS

tshizzle
    tshizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1217

This series is close, but I like Dallas in 7.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Not gonna lie, I want Dallas to win the series but my money is on the Heat. Dallas (Dirk) will have to play unwordly to win this series. Was hoping the Heat would have to wait at least a year to win, but it looks like you had this right all the way Goat. Now, I will have to suffer the Heat winning multiple championships moving forward unless some REAL other super teams are created because Miami will just get better.

thebertshow
    thebertshow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 268

I agree it is Miami's series

NickDiaz209
    NickDiaz209's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow u must be the dumbest human being ever to throw away one penny on wade for mvp

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

Good luck Goat. The way i see it is simple. The mavs havent played a team that plays defense like the heat and the heat havent played a team that can score like the mavs. Nowitzki might be destined might not be. I do think that Dirk is definitely due for a downturn from his high % shooting so far especially the last round. Dallas struggled in the first round with port because the blazers were long and athletic. Miami presents similar problems as OKC did but James and Wade are way more experienced than the thunder. To be honest Dallas has been more impressive in the playoffs to me. They seem much better rounded and more determined. I think Miami honestly had a easy ride in the very weak east. It should be a good series but i wouldnt lay -175 on the heat before the series. The way the odds have moved around it seems to me the most logical series result would be mavs in 6. I dont really have a feel for the series right now but i lean small on dallas and i mean small. I think the series should be a great one. Good luck with your plays.

mastertiu
    mastertiu's Avatar Become A Pro!

i like dallas to win game 1 and series!

chopperocker
    Hang on baby, cuz life's a BITCH!!!
    chopperocker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55608

i "think" the officials will determine the pace of each game. i will not make a series purchase, but i like MIA in game 1 and like it even more knowing the public is on DAL tonite. however, i would love to see DAL take the title.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

I wonder if the Heat shoot 50+ more free throws than the Mavs do in this series like they did in round 1 vs 76'ers??
    I wonder if the Heat shoot 60+ more free throws than the Mavs do in this series like they did in round 2 vs Celtics??
    I wonder if the Heat shoot 30+ more free throws than the Mavs do in this series like they did in round 3 vs Bulls??
    I wonder if the Heat shoot 50+ more free throws than the mavs do in this series like they did in the 2006 Finals vs Mavs??

If they do I'm picking the Heat in 6....If they don't I'm taking the Mavs in 6.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mac4Lyfe

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

Goatie : On a roll......shooting percentage will be important...do not see these teams getting many second chance points

qukubau
    qukubau's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 319

miami will win the series.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

I hate myself for saying this but..Dallas can't stop Wade & LeQueen.

squid44
    squid44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 282

should be a very good matchup indeed. As much as I also dont want to see the heat win, I think they have the much better shot here. But its still anybodys game. BOL all.

MStein12
    MStein12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 411

im saying dallas in 6 or 7

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

the only bigger loser than goat milk is whoever reads that entire post. actually nevermind there is no bigger loser than goat milk. what a loser

BigDaddy
    BigDaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 729

nice writeup and i like miami as well

Kemalettin
    Kemalettin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

im huge on miami ml..gl ppl!!!
    thanks OP!

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

I'm looking forward to see how Dallas defend in game 1, they talked a lot about defending in the press conference over almost everything else.

alon7777777
    alon7777777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 854

Goat is right Miami will win this series the biggest star (Lebron) cant lose in the finals for the 2nd time

RoagBettor
    RoagBettor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 297

Another nice writeup Goat, good follow-up too by sk.

ANGRYBLACK
    ANGRYBLACK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

GL SK I agree with your points and I fully believe that Dallas would have swept the Bulls. You are wrong about D Wade. He is 100% healthy was just bothered in teh Chicago series by strong perimeter defenders. No one on the Mavs can stay in front of this guy. How are you going to say he won't be healthy when he pretty much carried teh Heat in the series against the Celtics, averaging over 30 a game. He has much better matchups in this series than he did against the Bulls....don't forget about defense. Wade with smother Jason Terry on the perimeter and Terry will not be consistnat over the course of 7 games Don't feel so confident about the Mavs perimeter shooters. Remember, the NBA finals is a series of consistancy. The Mavs are jump shooting team. The Heat's biggest strength is smothering perimeter players....
    Preach, brotha...

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    Not gonna lie, I want Dallas to win the series but my money is on the Heat. Dallas (Dirk) will have to play unwordly to win this series. Was hoping the Heat would have to wait at least a year to win, but it looks like you had this right all the way Goat. Now, I will have to suffer the Heat winning multiple championships moving forward unless some REAL other super teams are created because Miami will just get better.
    Thanks. I agree Miami is only going to get better in the future- it'll be pretty scary, but Kobe and them are all watching the NBA playoffs too right now and I think Bryant himself will make a move. He decides everything in LA.

erkanua
    erkanua's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2395

No need for an obstinacy Miami haters. It's Heat's year..

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

realy a great write up goat thanks man , gl

12 Last