SlaytheBook
    SlaytheBook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2575

For those with a LARGE following on forums...

Any chance they are incented to post bogus picks?
    Any big-timers care to respond, anyone have experience with this type of thing?
    Thoughts?

Shoot, I might look to take this approach if I was running a book - and someones plays were causing some sting. or maybe I'm just paranoid and watching x-files reruns...

Best of luck,
    SlaytheBook

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

There are absolutely shills on here pushing plays, however they are often very transparent. Much more common is the poster that talks big and tries to make a name for themselves by documenting a winning run. If they fail they disappear, if they win they talk more and sometimes try to draw followers to their Twitter page / wtv.
    Last edited by suicidekings; 05-05-11 at 04:28 PM.

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

My candidate would be Lang. He's not on here but someone always posts his picks.

Here's my theory on SBR:

REAL sharps - rarely try to make a "name" for themselves. they're probably real insiders (asst coaches, ex-players, towel boys) who come on here to genuinely help people. If you look hard enough, you'll find them. They rarely post every day and they'll have a team they always lean towards/against, and they're 90% right.

People who think they're sharp but are really square - this is me and 50% of SBR. We follow rlm, public plays and our own guesstimations.

People who pretend to be squares but are really shills - people who post to mislead public into public massacres. Lang is a great example. I don't know if they're paid by oddsmakers or if Oddsmaker take advantage of their stupidity. SJP on Covers is another one.

Square - 20% of SBR (yes, 20%). They're the weekend bettor who is looking for a tip. There are not many on SBR.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

one of the "sharper" posts on here....

aznjeff07
    aznjeff07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 710

often wondered myself. that's why you have to track a poster and their record

SpreadSniper

Quote Originally Posted by SlaytheBook View Post
    This is the question you have to ask yourself...

As for the "bigtimers", I am not one, maybe one of them will respond in here and enlighten us.

Who has "what" to gain? "How" can they gain? and "WHO" are the folks feeding you gold plated shit for breakfast?

and "what's" with all the SBR pro stuff? sure has become more and more prevalent.

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SlaytheBook View Post
    Any big-timers care to respond, anyone have experience with this type of thing?
    Thoughts?

Shoot, I might look to take this approach if I was running a book - and someones plays were causing some sting. or maybe I'm just paranoid and watching x-files reruns...

Best of luck,
    SlaytheBook
    I've never posted bogus picks and never been contacted by any books about my picks. They don't care about us guys on SBR, it represents such a tiny fraction of the total action on games that it's a waste of their time to even think about us. They are trying to beat the guys putting $10,000 a game and up. Books like Pinnacle and Bookmaker get bets all the time in the six figure range.

Think about this, A guy who bets $500 a game. Let's say he bets 500 games a year and hits 57% which is very sharp. That means they will go 285-215. They will be profiting $24,250. That is peanuts to them and they do not care about that at all. They worry about the guys that can make that in one half of NFL/NBA.
    Last edited by sweetjones55; 05-05-11 at 09:12 PM.

yorksdicks
    yorksdicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    I've never posted bogus picks and never been contacted by any books about my picks. They don't care about us guys on SBR, it represents such a tiny fraction of the total action on games that it's a waste of their time to even think about us. They are trying to beat the guys putting $10,000 a game and up. Books like Pinnacle and Bookmaker get bets all the time in the six figure range.

Think about this, A guy who bets $500 a game. Let's say he bets 500 games a year and hits 57% which is very sharp. That means they will go 285-215. They will be profiting $24,250. That is peanuts to them and they do not care about that at all. They worry about the guys that can make that in one half of NFL/NBA.
    No one said you were I think he was just talking and asking in general. Do you have a guilty conscience or something?

vinh diesel
    vinh diesel's Avatar Become A Pro!

Have you ever been approached Sj? I wonder if youngive a bogus pick to move the line in your favor lol jk

SpreadSniper

Quote Originally Posted by vinh diesel View Post
    Have you ever been approached Sj? I wonder if youngive a bogus pick to move the line in your favor lol jk
    "touting" and "shilling" are old best friends..... one leads to another.... greed is a deadly sin for a reason. Karma is a bitch.

Something about "illl gains", but im drunk as ****

NBA_Brosuf
    Fade me to Become A Pro LOL
    NBA_Brosuf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

I'll confess. I have bookies uncles in certain parts of the states.

I'm not allow to bet on their books and because of this, I'm betting to win with my own money.

I don't post bogus picks and that is because I just do not know how. I rather be honest and helpful than live the rest of my life knowing that I made picks that buried other nicer folks out there.

To that, I apologized because I'm losing too.

SpreadSniper

Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Brosuf View Post
    I'll confess. I have bookies uncles in certain parts of the states.

I'm not allow to bet on their books and because of this, I'm betting to win with my own money.

I don't post bogus picks and that is because I just do not know how. I rather be honest and helpful than live the rest of my life knowing that I made picks that buried other nicer folks out there.

To that, I apologized because I'm losing too.

my best friends girlfriends, sisters, cousins, housesitters, lawn workers, gold fish walkers, 9 fingered-step-dad is a bookie.... wont take my action after the "will there be a tomorrow" -32500 bet