cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Are live NBA lines determined by people or computers?

I don't see how people can accurately determine both spreads and totals which will get even action within a few seconds of every time-out. I think it has to be determined by computer programs. Anyone know?

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

saw a show on it how the M resort sets live lines

its computers

huge room that they wouldnt show like a vault with a bunch of computers

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

I got LUCKY with Boston +10 that i pulled the trigger on in the middle of the 2Q
    I'm sure the live line was up to +15 or +16 at one time.

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

they're set by Lobot:

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

this guy sets all the live offshore lines, not sure who does Vegas though

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    this guy sets all the live offshore lines, not sure who does Vegas though

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would say computers, no way a book can pay all these people to watch games and change lines

TheGambler
    TheGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I agree in that it has to be very formula driven based on original line, current score, etc..

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
    I agree in that it has to be very formula driven based on original line, current score, etc..
    I believe people make the lines and yes they use a formula involving the original line and the way the game had been to the current point.. That's a tough job though working under pressure like that. No doubt these guys are good at what they do.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Usually computers but can be slightly tweaked by humans.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

well pretty sure that they use the same formula they use before the game to determine the line to make the line inplay using the current stats but obviously they have to have someone looking over it so there are no ridiculous lines out

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's not as complicated as it seems. They have a very good grasp of where the betting public is leaning prior to the game, and setting a live line is just a function of the original line, time remaining, and current score. If they screw up a bit in one commercial break and end up taking too much action on one side, they can compensate in the next break by slanting the line a little to draw action on the other side.

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

a combination of both, it's started of by human using actuarial method & then the developed software project the scoring estimate according to key match up + historical data from regular season then from the line from it.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13389

what about rookie starters?

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    It's not as complicated as it seems. They have a very good grasp of where the betting public is leaning prior to the game, and setting a live line is just a function of the original line, time remaining, and current score. If they screw up a bit in one commercial break and end up taking too much action on one side, they can compensate in the next break by slanting the line a little to draw action on the other side.
    Also depends on who is playing who.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

What do you think is faster?

tokio
    tokio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2886

The highest I saw boston today was +13.5 when they were down like 16 in the 3rd. I was gonna grab it but was hoping for a even better line which never came out.

TheJames
    TheJames's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 321

What books do you guys use for live betting? I have Bodog and Pinnacle but Bodog has mostly stupid prob bets and Pinnacle doesn't seem to be that big on Live bets.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

I have heard vegas calls their top wagerers before they produce the lines publicly, see who they are on and then alter accordingly.

dherd
    dherd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

whats the mystery - most of the posters on here could make a line within a point on a game qtr or half, plus not that much action anyway.

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I would say computers, no way a book can pay all these people to watch games and change lines
    Depends on the book, I know some books who rely mostly on sophisticated computer progams to do the majority of the work, though there will usually be a trader monitoring it and making adjustments accordingly. Sometimes a trader will be keeping an eye on a few games at once in this respect if the computer program is particularly powerful enough to do the majority of the work.

On the other hand I know of some books who do trade the games manually with 1 trader per game who is responsible for changing the lines accordingly, some may have some sort of computer program or spreadsheet to reference or do the bulk of the calculation, but it will still be up to them to actually input and adjust the lines as required.

Its really not that cost prohibitive to "pay all these people to watch games and change lines" as these days there is pretty much something to trade live virtually 24 hours a day if you are happy to book all sorts of foreign sports/leagues round the world - soccer for instance 1 trader could potentially trade 4 matches one after the other in a typical 8 hour shift.
    Last edited by Maniac; 05-02-11 at 01:17 PM.