brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

If You Bet on Totals in NBA, You're an Idiot

I have said it before and I will say it again

betting on totals in the NBA is for retards who don't understand the game scores in basketball come down to maybe 60% pace and 40% offensive efficiency. The Problem is that pace is nearly impossible to predict with any real consistently. Efficiency is not that difficult to predict but you can have 2 teams shoot 50% from the field and only score 190 points...and you can have 2 teams shoot 40% from the field and score 210 points. It's a total crapshoot

total betting in football for example is fantastic. Because if you take 2 great offensive teams playing each other, the games will usually go over. You take a great defensive team playing a bad offensive team and the game will go under

the ONLY exception I will make to playing totals is if a certain team has been murdering their lines for a while. For example, I played Indy/NYK earlier this year because both teams had been just scoring monster points for an extended period of time. The knicks had covered the over in their games by a large margin and same thing with Indy

guess what happened in that game?? the 2 teams score a bajillion points in 3 quarters, but the game slowed down to a fukking crawl in the 4th quarter and the 2 teams failed to cover the over by 1 point. Lesson learned, I don't think I'm ever gonna play totals again the NBA

FishFace5
    FishFace5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

fail

Inspirited
    Inspirited's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17864

don't know why so many people think that just because they can't beat something that other people can't also. you're just calling yourself an idiot here. there's a reason why total limits are lower than straight bet limits.

glassjaw22
    glassjaw22's Avatar Become A Pro!

everbodies system is better than the next guys ...go figure

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

What's the point of this post?

I've done very well with my nba totals spreadsheet and know others who kill in totals. I prefer betting nba totals to nba sides any day.

Just because you suck at predicting pace, possesions, trends, shooting %, etc., doesn't mean we all do.

Not looking for conflict, but you sound like the idiot, and an ignorant one at that, for making a blanket statement about one of the few sports wagers you can make and actually have an edge over the books because of line movement (again this assumes you know what you're doing).

I just don't get the point of this post...sorry and gl on your future total bets.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by Inspirited View Post
    don't know why so many people think that just because they can't beat something that other people can't also. you're just calling yourself an idiot here. there's a reason why total limits are lower than straight bet limits.

the problem is that you're betting on something that has no rhyme or reason to it

it's a crapshoot because total betting again comes down to 60% pace (a random variable from game to game)

the top 3 offensive teams in the NFL this year went OVER in their games at about a 70% clip
    the top 3 offensive teams in the NBA went about .500 in their over/under clip (hell, a team like golden state went under in a lot of their games)

you will simply never see that in the NFL.

Love The Action

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    the problem is that you're betting on something that has no rhyme or reason to it

it's a crapshoot because total betting again comes down to 60% pace (a random variable from game to game)

the top 3 offensive teams in the NFL this year went OVER in their games at about a 70% clip
    the top 3 offensive teams in the NBA went about .500 in their over/under clip (hell, a team like golden state went under in a lot of their games)

you will simply never see that in the NFL.
    Its clear from this post that you don't have a profitable system for betting totals in the nba. Do some research dude...

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by Love The Action View Post
    Just because you suck at predicting pace, possesions, trends, shooting %, etc., doesn't mean we all do.

are you really able to consistently predict all these things?? I wanna see threads where it shows your total plays and your high success rate

the reason that NBA total betting is horsesh!t is you gotta account for about 50 things like you said

NFL total betting = offensive efficiency is the only thing that matters

good offensive team plays bad defensive team = over
    good defensive team plays bad offensive team = under

In the NBA, good offensive teams routinely go under (Hell, Phoenix was 0-4 O/U in their games vs Golden State this year), so why even waste time with something that's so hard to predict?

brahmabull117

Its clear from this post that you don't have a profitable system for betting totals in the nba. Do some research dude...

I don't believe in systems

I'm an instinctual bettor who relies on matchups, trends and gut instinct

to me, betting on basketball totals is far away the hardest form of totals betting in all of sports (simply due to the high number of possessions which makes pace a very important but very difficult variable to predict).

the heat and celtics played a game opening day that only had 168 points...they played a game a few weeks later that had 219 points. That's a 51 point swing, how the fukk can you predict that??

I just don't know why so many people insist on playing totals when 90% of people I see playing totals either lose or go about .500

FishFace5
    FishFace5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

just stop. your digging yourself deeper with every post

Soon2BRich
    Soon2BRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

totals are easier. all you have to do is watch the teams score. At times its hard enough picking a winner in a gae BUt then you have to worry about whether or not they'll cover the spread

Love The Action

Its a lot of work to play totals consistently and you have to compile and organize a ton of info. That is why most people don't play nba totals or fail at them. I will try to have a season long thread next year, but that is a big time commitment to do proper writeups, etc. I was turned onto sbr too late for one this year, but have posted some plays I really liked. If you do the work, you can succeed. Good luck

brahmabull117

Its a lot of work to play totals consistently and you have to compile and organize a ton of info.

so why even bother with it??

NFL total betting is where it's at

in the NBA, MLs and Spreads is the only real place to bet unless you wanna spend 5 hours a day devising some bullshit "system"

Love The Action

so why even bother with it??

NFL total betting is where it's at

in the NBA, MLs and Spreads is the only real place to bet unless you wanna spend 5 hours a day devising some bullshit "system"
    Because its an easy wager to win if you do the work. A deviation system can easily win 60% because the books must move the lines to account for public betting patterns. Do some research and you will see...

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

hey, original poster, what is your win to loss ratio lifetime? 1-4 around there? if you bet overs when two high scoring nfl teams play each other, you will lose 75% of the time. goddamn i cannot stand people on this board. i mean i guess it is because of people like you that i tend to win but i just dont get how you people live with yourselves. literally pick the opposite of every one of your picks and you will profit. trust me

brahmabull117

Because its an easy wager to win if you do the work. A deviation system can easily win 60% because the books must move the lines to account for public betting patterns. Do some research and you will see...

NFL total betting is easy with just being a smart football fan

scrap all the deviation systems crap

powerhouse
    powerhouse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

It's all just a crapshoot !!

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    if you bet overs when two high scoring nfl teams play each other, you will lose 75% of the time
    uhmm what now???

just off the top of my head in 2010 season

Eagles/Indy - 1-0 Over
    Giants/Eagles - 1-1 on the Over
    Pats/Colts - 1-0 Over
    Eagles/Detroit - 1-0 Over
    Eagles/Dallas - 1-0 Over
    Eagles/Houston - 1-0 Over
    Indy/Dallas - 1-0 Over
    Patriots/Detroit - 1-0 Over

the top 5 teams in the NFL last season in scoring all had a positive record in Over/Under

the Pats/Eagles/Indy covered their overs at an incredible 69% clip (take away the eagles games without mike Vick and that percentage goes up to about 74%)
    Last edited by brahmabull117; 04-21-11 at 01:43 PM.

thaman79
    thaman79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 364

Who gives a rats ass? Whatever works for the next man is what he should bet. Totals, sides, ml, props. Bet what you know and want. At the end of the day it's your money on the line. You have your opinion and I respect that. With all that said. It's all about beating the book. So do what you do. Cause believe me bro, I know guys in Vegas that kill at betting on totals. So again, whatever puts money in your pocket and not the book. Go with it. Good luck to all.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by thaman79 View Post
    Who gives a rats ass? Whatever works for the next man is what he should bet. Totals, sides, ml, props. Bet what you know and want. At the end of the day it's your money on the line. You have your opinion and I respect that. With all that said. It's all about beating the book. So do what you do. Cause believe me bro, I know guys in Vegas that kill at betting on totals. So again, whatever puts money in your pocket and not the book. Go with it. Good luck to all.

true true

this is a discussion forum though. To me, NBA total betting is arguably the worst and most unpredictable form of sports gambling there is

the fact that 2 run and gun high scoring teams with zero defense (golden state and phoenix) can play 4 games this year and ALL 4 games go UNDER the vegas line, is enough to turn me off total betting forever

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Brahmabull117, If totals are so hard to win and the totals are so sharp then why don't the books allow you to place huge bets on them as they do spreads? Shouldn't there be even higher limits on totals if they are sharper then spreads?

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

so you won a lot this nfl season?

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    Brahmabull117, If totals are so hard to win and the totals are so sharp then why don't the books allow you to place huge bets on them as they do spreads? Shouldn't there be even higher limits on totals if they are sharper then spreads?

dunno, don't care

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

It's all about finding spots in totals, they can be the easiest bets sometimes. The catch is that they can be so easy that you go big on it and the suddenly out of nowhere you get buried.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

true true

this is a discussion forum though. To me, NBA total betting is arguably the worst and most unpredictable form of sports gambling there is

the fact that 2 run and gun high scoring teams with zero defense (golden state and phoenix) can play 4 games this year and ALL 4 games go UNDER the vegas line, is enough to turn me off total betting forever
    Thats your opinion though, just because youre not good at it doesnt mean others arnt. There are guys who specialize in totals, the same way you try to break games down they do totals the same.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

you're questioning the lines not the wager type. You said the suns and warriors went under 4 out of 4 times. Ever consider the book made the total for those games extremely high when these two played? A normal NBA total hovers around 185-200, if you see a total at 219 then automatically you should know there is a good chance for an under. It takes a bit more understanding of the game then to say, "oh two offensive teams are playing bet the over for free money" because lines makers adjust lines to steal from the simple minded folks like yourself.

nickos86
    nickos86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Or maybe you are considering total lines with the same in depth analysis as the sterotypical 'public' punter (close to none).

"These teams can score so lets bet the over!" - without considering anything else, including the actual number listed...

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well I guess I'm an idiot cuz these are my favorite to play. Who would've thunk it.

El Sol
    El Sol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

I don't believe in systems

I'm an instinctual bettor who relies on matchups, trends and gut instinct

this says it all, end of discussion

coinflipper
    coinflipper's Avatar Become A Pro!

sounds like somebody got killed on totals this year

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am a idiot

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by FishFace5 View Post
    fail
    this

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by nickos86 View Post
    Or maybe you are considering total lines with the same in depth analysis as the sterotypical 'public' punter (close to none).

"These teams can score so lets bet the over!" - without considering anything else, including the actual number listed...

except when the Colts and Patriots play... and the line is ridiculously high

they still cover. That's the difference with NBA and NFL total betting. NFL total betting makes perfect sense and anybody with any intelligence can make bank

NBA betting is an absolute pain in the ass... and to me it's a crapshoot a lot of times because of variables like pace and possessions that can't always be accounted for

I mean for god's sake, you had the heat and the celtics play 2 games within 2 or 3 week stretch...1 game had 168 points and the other had 219

that's a 51 point difference based on nothing more than a huge difference in the pace. How the hell do you even begin to cap that?
    Last edited by brahmabull117; 04-21-11 at 05:28 PM.

GAMBLOR777
    GAMBLOR777's Avatar Become A Pro!

you have no idea what your talking about.

Qtip
    Qtip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 176

Liking the Under tonight Chi/Ind

12 Last