ThingsFallApart
    ThingsFallApart's Avatar Become A Pro!

How important are Reddick and Nelson for ORL?

Losing your point guard is a big blow to any team. Ask Lakers and Miami fans how important a good PG can be to a team.
    Having said that Nelson dropped 19 points, 4 assists, only 1 TO on 6-10 shooting(4-6 from threeland) when these two played last week, so he obviously was an integral part.
    Gilbert Arenas, meanwhile, is garbage.

Reddick on the other hand is a good off-the-bench shooting guard because of his ability to flip up shots and his size and ability to put his body in front of his opponent(aka not amazing defense). He has obviously been out for 2 1/2 weeks, but the depth at the guard position is now in question. The Magic now only have 3 healthy guards and against Billups it won't be easy for the two below average ball-handlers to manage the offense.

When Howard and Richardson come out of the game you're left with a pretty weak remaining 5 considering the Knicks can score in bunches.

This low line seems to be saying the Magic won't roll, but you assume Van Gundy can shift his lineup around to go take advantage of the massive size difference here. It will essentially be guards(NY) versus bigs(ORL). One would think the over is the play here, but its hard to say ORL can put up 106 points with a bad PG controlling the ball.
    On the otherhand the Knicks have made it public they arent concerned about losing because if you win 10 games in the east you're in the playoffs.

So after that long writeup, the plays of Orlando oTT and Orlando -1 are seemingly contradicted by the analysis of the matchup.

Anyone with a better knowledge of the Magic able to weigh in here? This is just going off the top of my head although I admit I havent watched a live magic game since January.
    Points Awarded:

Illusion gave ThingsFallApart 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bowers1989
    bowers1989's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

go ahead go big on the knicks and see what happens...lol

dude_bg
    dude_bg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

anyone thinking nelson is not that important- watch gilbert arenas getting the starter minutes then we can talk
    arenas will have a lot of TOs, i am avoiding this game.

ThingsFallApart
    ThingsFallApart's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bowers1989 View Post
    go ahead go big on the knicks and see what happens...lol
    No I want to annihilate ORL -1 here, but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking Nelson being out, thats why I'm asking how important are the two.

bowers1989
    bowers1989's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

nelson is important but i think ORL still can win by 4

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 863

Tough call here. I suspect it will go under but no clue of the right side

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

Its going to be tough for them now

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by ThingsFallApart View Post
    Losing your point guard is a big blow to any team. Ask Lakers and Miami fans how important a good PG can be to a team.
    Having said that Nelson dropped 19 points, 4 assists, only 1 TO on 6-10 shooting(4-6 from threeland) when these two played last week, so he obviously was an integral part.
    Gilbert Arenas, meanwhile, is garbage.

Reddick on the other hand is a good off-the-bench shooting guard because of his ability to flip up shots and his size and ability to put his body in front of his opponent(aka not amazing defense). He has obviously been out for 2 1/2 weeks, but the depth at the guard position is now in question. The Magic now only have 3 healthy guards and against Billups it won't be easy for the two below average ball-handlers to manage the offense.

When Howard and Richardson come out of the game you're left with a pretty weak remaining 5 considering the Knicks can score in bunches.

This low line seems to be saying the Magic won't roll, but you assume Van Gundy can shift his lineup around to go take advantage of the massive size difference here. It will essentially be guards(NY) versus bigs(ORL). One would think the over is the play here, but its hard to say ORL can put up 106 points with a bad PG controlling the ball.
    On the otherhand the Knicks have made it public they arent concerned about losing because if you win 10 games in the east you're in the playoffs.

So after that long writeup, the plays of Orlando oTT and Orlando -1 are seemingly contradicted by the analysis of the matchup.

Anyone with a better knowledge of the Magic able to weigh in here? This is just going off the top of my head although I admit I havent watched a live magic game since January.
    I feel like nitpicking this a bit.

Lakers and Heat are 2 of the best teams in the league, i'd say you failed at trying to make the PG position sound important because those 2 teams are perfectly fine without one.

Arenas may be garbage but he is more then capable of getting hot. If him or Hedo have a great shooting night Nelson wont be missed at all. These 2 are inconsistent so the problem is not Nelson being out, but collectively missing 3 players in the rotation for a team that already has a short bench. They will now have 8 guys which includes Duhon, Clark and Arenas. Pretty horrible.

The part about Orlandos size advantage and guards vs bigs is just wrong. Shift thee line-up? What size advantage? Magic have 1 player, Howard that is their size advantage, if Howard is not on the floor Amare is the biggest guy left. Its the Knicks that will have the size advantage. Anderson and Bass are both undersized at PF let alone playing C, Hedo has length but Knicks have a big SF in Melo as well and Williams, Jefferies more then match any length Orlando has other then Howard.

I am enjoying all the Knicks thread because i hate the Knicks. But the stupidity of people starting them makes me sad. Theres been a "insert good team here" suck thread about basically every team. Any losing streak and there is massive overration on SBR. Doesn't surprise me since there is a massive over reaction if a team goes on 10-0 run in 6 minutes of the 1st quoter there are 3 threads about how the game is over and the other team sucks. Do you people realize there has been plenty of Heat suck threads as well? There was also plenty of Lakers suck threads. There were Mavs suck threads, and now there are Celtics suck threads. With another loss or 2 there will be Spurs suck threads. I'm not comparing the Knicks to those teams. But the Knicks DO have talent on their team, they are not gonna lose 30 in a row like the Cavs. Slumps end people.

chantrain
    chantrain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

slumps end but do not say the Knicks are a "good team". even if they win 1, 2 or 3 in a row now, they still suck ass.

Knicks really needed a win and people wre saying its a revenge game against the Cavs....loss

Knicks really needed a win and people were saying its a revenge game against the Pacers....loss.

How many times have the Knicks lost to the Cavs this season? That is not a good team.

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by chantrain View Post
    slumps end but do not say the Knicks are a "good team". even if they win 1, 2 or 3 in a row now, they still suck ass.

Knicks really needed a win and people wre saying its a revenge game against the Cavs....loss

Knicks really needed a win and people were saying its a revenge game against the Pacers....loss.

How many times have the Knicks lost to the Cavs this season? That is not a good team.
    How many times did the Knicks beat the Heat this season? How many times did they beat the Bulls? Yeah, i'd say thats a good team.

Revenge game idea is non sense.

chantrain

that team is GONE, you conveniently ignore. The team that beat the Bulls is GONE.

Knicks were 2 games above .500 before their trade, now theyre 3 games UNDER .500

theyre under .500 since the trade too, thats what you call a good team?

demens
    Square -910

that team is GONE, you conveniently ignore. The team that beat the Bulls is GONE.

Knicks were 2 games above .500 before their trade, now theyre 3 games UNDER .500

theyre under .500 since the trade too, thats what you call a good team?
    4 players off that team is gone, 1 of which wasn't even playing.

The post trade team beat Miami didn't they? They beat the Grizzlies twice.

The Heat were horrible in the begging of the year as well. Why can't people realize that it takes time to develop chemistry. But the talent to win games is there. If you really think this Knicks team is really an under 500 team then i cant help you.

chantrain

3 of their starting 5 is gone. they beat Miami only because Miami abandoned all pretense of playing defense and just decided to run and gun with them. Who cares about Memphis, when they couldnt beat the Pacers or the Cavs?

it takes time to develop a chemsitry, which is why theyre 1-9 in their last 10 and which is why I'm saying you're a moron if you bet on the Knicks this season.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

that team is GONE, you conveniently ignore. The team that beat the Bulls is GONE. Knicks were 2 games above .500 before their trade, now theyre 3 games UNDER .500 theyre under .500 since the trade too, thats what you call a good team?
    You're not differentiating between a bad team and a team with talented players that are playing below their potential and below expectations.

With respect to this specific matchup, a lot of people are going to bet this game and be proud of themselves if they win, but with one team missing 2 key players and the other on a long losing streak and essentially a pickem spread between them, there's ZERO value on this game. This should be a no play for anyone with any self control.

dude_bg
    dude_bg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    You're not differentiating between a bad team and a team with talented players that are playing below their potential and below expectations. With respect to this specific matchup, a lot of people are going to bet this game and be proud of themselves if they win, but with one team missing 2 key players and the other on a long losing streak and essentially a pickem spread between them, there's ZERO value on this game. This should be a no play for anyone with any self control.
    couldn't have said it better

ThisGuy
    ThisGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 636

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    I feel like nitpicking this a bit.

Lakers and Heat are 2 of the best teams in the league, i'd say you failed at trying to make the PG position sound important because those 2 teams are perfectly fine without one.
    Wrong wrong wrong. Wade, Lebron, and Kobe all create off the dribble and facilitate from a position other than the designated 'PG'. Hedo and Gilbert are just too old, stiff, and slow to do that now. They might win but it's not similar to Mia or Lal at all

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy View Post
    Wrong wrong wrong. Wade, Lebron, and Kobe all create off the dribble and facilitate from a position other than the designated 'PG'. Hedo and Gilbert are just too old, stiff, and slow to do that now. They might win but it's not similar to Mia or Lal at all
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Fact: Lakers and Heat pgs suck.
    Fact: Lakers and Heat are 2 of the top 6 teams in the league.

What ever the hell "designated PG" means is irrelevent.

LRKontroll
    LRKontroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Knicks never will be a good ''team'' with Melo, Amare and scrubs. Power offense less lack defense means losers teams. NYK in the best scenario is a average team with two pseudo stars that never will win a ring + a d league bench players. Except Bullups that still is a decent player.

I hate the Melo Lovers and Knicks but today is the better day to Knicks win because i dont have idea how Orlando will play without 3 rotations players. Anyway, i have won a lot of money betting against Knicks, but i have better prospects to bet today.

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I don't think the question is how important are Reddick and Nelson, the question is how bad is Arenas?

What kind of liability is he going to be with 1 out of 12 shooting, and 0-5 from 3-range and 2 assists? I don't watch Magic games, but what kind of D is he providing? How many turn overs will he create?

CallMeChip
    Damn good stuff, sir...
    CallMeChip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

That's right, I'm taking the Knicks. What? WHAT!?!?!

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by LRKontroll View Post
    Knicks never will be a good ''team'' with Melo, Amare and scrubs. Power offense less lack defense means losers teams. NYK in the best scenario is a average team with two pseudo stars that never will win a ring + a d league bench players. Except Bullups that still is a decent player.

I hate the Melo Lovers and Knicks but today is the better day to Knicks win because i dont have idea how Orlando will play without 3 rotations players. Anyway, i have won a lot of money betting against Knicks, but i have better prospects to bet today.
    Being a good team and winning a title are 2 completely different things.

chantrain

if the magic were smart theyd give the ball to Dwight a lot more. But for some reason they don't do that...

ThisGuy

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

It means Lebron, Wade, and Kobe are the real PG's on offense. You don't know how to discern this sadly

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy View Post
    It means Lebron, Wade, and Kobe are the real PG's on offense. You don't know how to discern this sadly
    Except Wade is SG, Lebron is a SF and Kobe is a SG. Just cause a guy handle the ball doesn't make him a point guard.

ThisGuy

U just further my point