Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Will Power says he wants to give NASCAR a try...

IndyCar star Will Power keen for NASCAR future

• Friday 19th October, 2012
    • Author: Stefan Bartholomaeus ©

Will Power inside Mark Winterbottom’s FPR Falcon

United States based Australian Will Power says that he’s keen to try his hand at NASCAR once he has achieved his goal of winning an IndyCar Series title.

Power has finished second in each of the last three IndyCar seasons, losing the championship at the final round on each occasion.
    While the oval tracks have repeatedly proven Power’s downfall, the 31-year-old says that living in the NASCAR hub of Charlotte, North Carolina, has left him eyeing a future in stock car racing.

“Obviously it depends on what happens in my career as to what opportunities I’ll have,” he told Speedcafe.com in response to a question about his post-IndyCar plans.

“These days I’m living in North Carolina which is the home of NASCAR. I’d definitely like to at some point give that a go, starting out maybe in Late Model cars and just see how I run.

“That definitely interests me, but at the moment I’m just focussing on what I’ve got going on here with the IndyCar side of things.”
    Currently driving for Penske Racing, which fields front-running teams in both IndyCar and NASCAR, Power is potentially well positioned to make a switch to the tin-top class.

Power however says that he is yet to even broach the subject with team founder Roger Penske.
    “I haven’t actually pursued it or anything like that at this point,” he said.
    “It’s just that it’s obviously really in your face when you live in North Carolina. It’s everywhere. All the teams are there, and obviously my team has got a NASCAR team as well.

“They (Penske’s NASCAR team) are actually leading the championship right now (with Brad Keselowski), so it’d be an obvious thing to give a go at some point in the future.”

This weekend sees Power racing in Australia for the first time in two years as part of the Armor All Gold Coast 600.
    Driving alongside Mark Winterbottom in the #5 Orrcon Steel FPR Falcon, Power will start the event as one of the favourites to take out the Dan Wheldon Trophy.

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Isn't will power speciality road and street races

Optional

Yep.

"While the oval tracks have repeatedly proven Power’s downfall, the 31-year-old says that living in the NASCAR hub of Charlotte, North Carolina, has left him eyeing a future in stock car racing."

Losing the title in the last race of the year 3 times in a row because he has trouble on ovals would have me thinking of V8s or Sportscars rather than NASCAR.

Still, the more Aussies running the better.

shaunovery

Maybe they could try him out in the nationwide series

Optional

Texas teachers to buy big chunk of F1

Hundreds of thousands of Texan teachers are poised to become stakeholders in Formula One (F1) motor racing in a $200m (Ł125m) deal, Sky News can reveal.

The Teachers’ Retirement System of Texas (TRS) has reached a preliminary deal to acquire a 3% shareholding in F1 from the estate of Lehman Brothers, the investment bank whose collapse in 2008 helped to trigger the global financial crisis.

http://news.sky.com/story/999884/exc...r-onto-f1-grid

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ltrip/1661143/

4:07PM EDT October 26. 2012 - MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- Brian Vickers prefers to be in a position to win Sprint Cup races rather than just run them.
    That's why Vickers said he turned down full-time rides to return in a part-time role next year with Michael Waltrip Racing for the second consecutive season.
    "I had some other opportunities, and I'm very very thankful to be presented with those," he said. "I felt like this is where I wanted to be. I looked for a home for a long time in NASCAR and felt like I found it."
    Vickers will drive nine races in the No. 55 Toyota, which again will be piloted in 24 events by Mark Martin. Team owner Michael Waltrip till drive three races.
    After eight seasons from 2004 to 2011 with Hendrick Motorsports and Red Bull Racing (where he missed 25 races in 2010 because of blood clots), the 2003 Nationwide Series champion was left without a ride when the Red Bull team closed its doors.
    He settled for spot duty at MWR and will make the last of eight 2011 starts with the team in Sunday's Fast Tums Relief 500 at Martinsville Speedway.
    Crediting chemistry with crew chief Rodney Childers that "is unprecedented in my career," Vickers led 125 laps and finished fifth at Bristol Motor Speedway in his first start this season. He also posted fourths at Sonoma and in the Aug. 25 race at Bristol and turned the fastest lap in Friday's practice at Martinsville.

Optional

Sounds like a smart decision. If he thinks the #55, or a 4th car, will be his in 2014.

Although I doubt he had any other offers better than Kurt had personally.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I think Vickers just doesn't want to be honest, for obvious reasons.

Whatever full time offers he supposedly got couldn't have been nearly as good as the #55 situation. Now, he'd still leave except for the fact that Martin will be 54 in a couple of months, so he's gambling that Martin will retire in 2013 and 2014. That's not the end of it, because even if Martin does retire, he's gambling that he'd get the full time ride. It doesn't sound like he has that in writing.

If it was a younger guy than Martin ahead of him, I have no doubt that he'd leave.

Optional

Old news, but I just read it.

How cool would this be?

Truck race considered at Eldora

Updated: October 16, 2012, 6:49 PM ET
    By David Newton | ESPN.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR may be considering adding a dirt race at Eldora Speedway to its Truck Series schedule.
    Multiple sources within the series said they've been told a dirt track could be added to the schedule in 2013. Sources also said a Richard Childress Racing truck was prepared for a test at Eldora, owned by three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart.
    The test was scheduled to take place Monday or Tuesday, the sources said. Officials at Eldora could not be reached for comment.
    Stewart has been asking NASCAR to add a race at his half-mile track in Rossburg, Ohio, for several years. It is the site of his annual Prelude to the Dream charity event.
    NASCAR officials declined to address specifically whether Eldora was under consideration for a truck race, but the series is looking at potential venues it hasn't been to before.
    "We've made several site visits over the past few months to look at possible future venues for our Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series," spokesman Kerry Tharp said on Tuesday. "We expect the 2013 schedules for both of those series to be finished up and released within the next couple of weeks."

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/tru...rt-sources-say

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Saw that last week would love trucks on dirt

Optional

Timothy Tyler Andrew Walker

Anyone heard of this joker?

Thrown out for drug use in 2007..

Ex-NASCAR driver leads police on 2-state chase

ST. GEORGE, Utah (AP) -- Police say a man who led authorities on a chase in Nevada and Utah is a former NASCAR driver.

The Spectrum of St. George reports (http://bit.ly/WHMBeE ) that police stopped Timothy Tyler Andrew Walker on Wednesday in southern Utah following a chase that began in Nevada. Authorities say Walker had marijuana, pills and open containers of alcohol in his luxury BMW sedan.

They also arrested a female passenger.

Walker competed in 28 NASCAR races before the association suspended him in 2007 for violating its drug policy. He drove in 19 NASCAR Nationwide series and nine Camping World Truck Series races during his career.
    Walker stopped the black BMW after he drove over spike strips on the road, then ran away before being arrested.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nasc...4361--spt.html

Vegas39

Yes remember when he ran trucks

Optional

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

Damn he looks a mess

Optional

We Aussies have a habit of deluding ourselves as to how 'involved' we are in the world at times.

'Holden' wins in NASCAR debut

Flying start ... Kevin Harvick celebrates in victory lane after winning the Sprint Unlimited all-star race at Daytona International Speedway. Photo: Getty Images

Holden has had a dream debut with its VF Commodore-based Chevrolet SS in American NASCAR racing with a win in the season-opening race.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...217-2el00.html

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

I saw this article on The Age just after the race finished and couldnt help but shake my head.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28986

WOW

Optional

These sort of articles have to increase interest in the sport down here at least I guess.

I just read the article linked in the text about it costing $10,000 less in the US than here, and noticed it says they only aim to sell 5000 per year in the US.

Seems a bit queer for Chevy to use a fully imported model they only plan to sell that many of as their NASCAR model.

Makes me wonder exactly what are the reasons they chose it.

MatI

General Motors have some pretty good facilities down here and have been swapping technology between the two countries for a very long time. Mostly for cost cutting.

Also, 5000 new car sales is actually a lot of cars for one model. Especially for big gas guzzlers like the Commodore/Chev SS. No way they sell any where near that amount of Commodores here in Aus, we are probably in the 1000-2000 range. It would probably be cheaper for General Motors to make essentially one car and sell it in both countries, than try and build and sell two completely different vehicles.

Optional

Sales

1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995
    [143]
    [143]
    [143]
    [143]
    [143]
    50,820 57,641 62,663 75,330 80,452 83,001 76,849 94,642 85,648
    [143]
    [143]
    [143]
    [143]
    [143]
    [144]
    [145]
    [146]
    [147]
    [148]
    83,610 85,422 88,478 86,553 79,170 66,794 56,531 57,307 51,093 44,387
    [149]
    [150]
    [151]
    45,956 40,617 30,532
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Commodore#Sales

MatI

I thought it was just the SS Version. the 6.2L version, being shared?

Optional

The SSV model - minus the HSV engine option that article says. is that the 6.2L you mean?

MatI

Thats the one.

Optional

NASCAR up-and-comer to star in docu-series

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Scheduled to share the stage with Nicole Richie, Sarah Jessica Parker, Hank Azaria and other Hollywood celebrities, up-and-coming NASCAR star Dylan Kwasniewski today will unveil at the 2013 Digital Content NewFront in New York a 10-episode docu-series following the 17-year-old's quest to become a top driver in the sport. In attendance for today's presentation will be more than 700 brand advertisers, marketers, agencies and digital and TV media buyers.

"Flat Out," which is co-produced by NASCAR and Vuguru, will premiere later this year on AOL On Network, AOL's premium video platform and curated video hub. Following Kwasniewski as he finishes his senior year of high-school and adjusts to his new NASCAR team, Turner Scott Motorsports, "Flat Out" is an unscripted, inspirational, real-life documentary series about a teenager trying to prove himself on the track while balancing family, school, friends and newfound celebrity away from the track. See a trailer for the series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-...180035497.html

Trailer Here: http://on.aol.com/video/flat-out-sizzle-reel-517759443

GP
    GP's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 864

Jeff Gordon's NYC condo for sale. $30M
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/re...ndo.html?_r=1&

Speed/Fox/Espn should do a NASCAR Cribs show.

Optional

Owen Kelly seals road course NASCAR deal

Here is your Road America winner fellas!

Australian journeyman Owen Kelly will reignite his NASCAR career with two appearances for Joe Gibbs Racing in the United States over the next few months.

Kelly will replace Kyle Busch the #54 Monster Energy Toyota in NASCAR Nationwide Series road course events at Road America on June 22 and Mid Ohio on August 17.

Busch has become one of NASCAR’s biggest stars and was eager to sign Kelly to complement his team’s 2013 campaign after the Tasmanian qualified his car at Montreal last year.

Kelly had his first taste of NASCAR action in 2010 when he drove a Baker Curb entry to fifth place in a Nationwide race at Road America.

He was then hired to qualify the Nationwide entry of countryman Marcos Ambrose for Richard Petty Motorsport at Montreal, Canada, in 2011 – qualifying the entry in ninth, while Ambrose completed his Sprint Cup commitments at Michigan.

Ambrose arrived in Montreal 20 minutes before the race, which he went on to win.

Kelly’s efforts caught the eye of Busch who hired him to qualify his Monster Energy car at last year’s Montreal event while he completed his own commitment at Michigan.

Kelly qualified the car fifth and Busch was on target to take the win when a late-race puncture forced him to finished 10th.

“For me, NASCAR has always been the pinnacle of motorsports and to have another opportunity with a team the calibre of Joe Gibbs Racing and Kyle Busch is great,” said Kelly.

“I enjoyed qualifying the car for Kyle last year and for him to give me the chance to race for them this year gives me a real chance to keep my dream of a full-time NASCAR ride alive.

“It is now up to me to repay their faith and to go out and get the job done for JGR, Kyle, Monster and Toyota.”

Kelly, 33, started his career in karts at the age of nine and has one of the most comprehensive careers of any Australian racer with experience in Formula Ford, Porsche Cup, 2-litre Super Tourers, New Zealand V8 SuperTourers, Sprintcars and V8 Supercars in Australia.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/06/12/...e-nascar-deal/

MatI

This is great news Owen is in the 54!!

Will have to keep an eye out for openers next week...

Optional

Not sure I love the sound of these new F1 engines.

Renault on Friday revealed a sneak-preview of the sound of its 2014 engine.

There have been fears the noise produced by next year's turbo V6s will be a mere shadow of the current normally-aspirated V8s.

"Overall," admitted the French marque's engine boss Rob White, "the sound pressure level (volume) is lower and the nature of the sound reflects the new architecture.

"Fundamentally the engine noise will still be loud. It will wake you from sleep, and circuit neighbours will still complain," he said.

White admitted some people will miss the screaming tones of today, "but the sound of the new generation power units is just different".

MatI

Im not sure that is a great representation. It will certainly be different but I think after a few races we wont even notice!

Optional

Australian #8 to make Sprint Cup debut

Last edited by Optional; 07-20-13 at 10:19 AM. Reason: double

Optional

Australian #8 to make Sprint Cup debut

AUSTRALIANS IN NASCAR SPRINT CUP

Frank Gardner - 1 start
    Allan Grice - 2 starts
    Dick Johnson - 7 starts
    Terry Byers - 5 starts
    Tony Spanos - 1 start
    Geoff Brabham - 1 start
    Marcos Ambrose - 174 starts
    Owen Kelly - 0

July 22 2013
    Australian Owen Kelly to realise NASCAR Sprint Cup dream
    VIDEO NEWS RELEASE & AUDIO CLICK HERE: http://bit.ly/1b06qXK
    YOUTUBE VIDEO PREVIEW CLICK HERE: http://bit.ly/125gYkC
    Click Images (right) for copyright free downloads

Australian ace Owen Kelly will realise a boyhood dream when he makes his NASCAR Sprint Cup debut for Phoenix Racing at the famous Watkins Glen road course in New York State on Sunday, August, 11.
    Kelly will become the eighth Australian to compete in the highest level of NASCAR competition and will join fellow Tasmanian and full-time Sprint Cup driver Marcos Ambrose on the grid in the Cheez-It 355.
    Kelly fell into favouritism for the seat in the #51 entry after an impressive performance in Kyle Busch’s JGR #54 Monster Energy car in the Nationwide race at Road America last month where he qualified second and finished fourth, despite running out of fuel while challenging for the lead.
    The week following the Watkins Glen race, Kelly will be back behind the wheel of Busch’s #54 Nationwide car at Mid Ohio – the Joe Gibbs Racing operation has provided its blessing for Kelly’s Sprint Cup debut with Phoenix Racing.
    The Phoenix Racing opportunity developed after an internal meeting between well-known team owner James Finch, #51 Crew Chief, Nick Harrison and the team’s Australian engineer, Andrew Dickenson.
    “The phrase ‘a dream come true’ is used a lot, but there is no other way to describe this,” said Kelly when the deal was confirmed with Phoenix Racing’s owner James Finch today.
    “When you look at the numbers, NASCAR is the pinnacle of world motorsports and I am humbled that an organisation with the history and depth of Phoenix Racing has provided me with this opportunity.
    “It has all come together very quickly, but I have to thank everyone who has been so supportive of me including James Finch, Nick Harrison, Andrew Dickenson and the Joe Gibbs Racing operation.
    “I am proud to be one of a select few Australians to have been given a shot at NASCAR’s top level and I will be doing everything in my power to give Phoenix Racing the best possible result at Watkins Glen.”
    Kelly is likely to travel to the US this week for a seat fitting and is hoping that he will get in a test before arriving at Watkins Glen.
    While Phoenix Racing narrowed down possible candidates for the #51, it was Kelly’s name, which kept appearing as the number one choice, according to Harrison.
    “James (Finch) came into the shop and we were throwing a few names around. Robby Gordon was a candidate and then Owen’s name was put up,” said Harrison
    “To be honest Dale (Earnhardt) Jr, Marcos (Ambrose), AJ (Allmendinger) , anyone we spoke to was very supportive of Owen and what he could bring to our team.
    “We are pumped to have him as part of our operation. Anyone who looks at his career and has watched him in his Nationwide qualifying and races knows he has got talent.
    “We will be running the same car which Kurt Busch finished third in at Sonoma last year. We head up to Watkins Glen believing we can be very, very competitive.
    “We had Jacques Villeneuve in our car at Sonoma this year and had Robby Gordon as an option, as I said, but we believe Owen is the best option for us.
    “Because of his V8 Supercar experience and his Nationwide drives, Owen is used to the weight and power of these cars.”
    Phoenix Racing is in the process of being sold, but Finch will maintain control of the team until mid September.
    “There is no doubt that we think Owen can help us add to James’ trophy collection before the team changes hands,” said Harrison.
    “James was very keen to approach Owen when his name was put forward and is excited about what we have put together for Watkins Glen.
    “We have Hendrick Motorsport providing us engines and chassis and we think Owen can get us right up there for a top 10 or even a victory if everything falls our way.”

OWEN KELLY US – NASCAR CAREER

* 2008 - Moved to the US to head-up Dale Earnhardt Jr’s late model program in the Whelen All America Series – Winning the Mid-Atlantic 350.

* 2009 – Campaigned an entry for Earnhardt Jr in the UARA-Stars Championship before returning to Australia for the V8 Supercar endurance events.
    * 2010 - had his first taste of NASCAR when he drove a Baker Curb entry to fifth place in a Nationwide race at Road America.
    * 2011 - Hired to qualify the Nationwide entry of countryman Marcos Ambrose for Richard Petty Motorsport at Montreal, Canada – qualifying the entry in ninth, while Ambrose completed his Sprint Cup commitments at Michigan. Ambrose arrived in Montreal 20 minutes before the race, which he went on to win.
    * 2012 – Hired by Kyle Busch to qualify his Monster Energy car at Montreal event while he completed his own commitment at Michigan. Qualified the car fifth and Busch was on target to take the win when a late-race puncture forced him to 10th.
    * 2013 – Hired by Joe Gibbs Racing to drive the Monster Energy #54 car at Road America. Qualified the car second and ran in the top three for the majority of the race and led at one stage before running out of fuel. Dropped back to 34th and worked his way through the field to finish fourth.
    * 2013 – Will drive the #51 Phoenix Motorsport entry in the Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen on Sunday, August 11
    * 2013 – Will drive Kyle Busch’s #54 Monster Energy entry in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital 200 at Mid Ohio on Saturday, August 17.

OWEN KELLY - STATS AND EARLY CAREER

Name: Owen Kelly
    Born: Devonport, Tasmania
    Lives: Melbourne, Victoria
    Owen Kelly started his career in karts at the age of nine and has one of the most comprehensive careers of any Australian racer with experience in Formula Ford, Porsche Cup, 2-litre Super Tourers, New Zealand Super Tourers, Sprintcars and V8 Supercars in Australia.
    His US experience includes Grand-Am, Late Models and NASCAR Nationwide.
    Kelly, who has become one of Australia’s most respected drivers, has driven for Kelly Racing in the last three Bathurst 1000s, but has retreated from his endurance opportunities this year to concentrate on his US commitments.
    Australian Owen Kelly will realise a NASCAR dream at Watkins Glen next month - please click image for hi-res version
    The #51 Phoenix Racing car that Tasmanian, Owen Kelly will drive on August 11 - please click image for hi-res version
    Owen Kelly will become the eighth Australian to start in NASCAR's premier division - click image for hi-res version
    Owen Kelly will drive the Hendrick Motorsports-built Phoenix Racing #51 - click for hi-res version

Optional

This makes me feel like I just don't try hard enough sometimes.

Optional

And yet another Tasmanian taking to NASCAR.

What are they feeding them down there?

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/09/30/...-ahead-finale/

Burdon retakes Euro NASCAR lead ahead of finale

Burdon’s car was heavily damaged during Friday practice

Tasmanian driver Josh Burdon will take a slender lead into the final round of the NASCAR Whelen Euro Series following a tumultuous weekend at Monza, Italy.

The 21-year-old’s season appeared to have suffered a major blow when his car was crashed in practice at Monza by Elite Class driver Nicolo Rocca.

The unique NASCAR Euro format sees the Elite and Open class drivers share a car, with which they compete in separate races.
    The Scorpus Racing outfit returned the car to the track just five hours after Rocca’s accident for Burdon to complete Practice 2.
    The Australian went on to qualify fourth, but saw his 26 point series advantage turn to a 12 point deficit after an early race tangle led to a retirement.

A narrow 0.001s victory in a damp second race, however, ensures Burdon will take a two point lead into the final at Le Mans, France, on October 11-13.

“There are no words to describe this feeling amongst the team,” said Burdon after Race 2.
    “After a disasterous weekend and experiencing the biggest low of my career yesterday we rebounded back today.

“I wanted it real bad. I’m so happy to get a podium for all the hard work put in by the team.”

The victory was Burdon’s sixth of the season, which has seen the NASCAR-sanctioned class complete two-race weekends at Nogaro (France), Dijon (France), Brands Hatch (United Kingdom) and Monza.

Optional

Once upon a time (not too long ago) a bookmaker in Australia was obliged to take bets from anyone. ie: no refusing bets from winners.

Until the UK invasion and NT Govt regulator baring their asses for them.

Aussie punters are fighting back. I for one would love to see these big corporates forced to act more fairly.

Punters Need A Fair Go

On-course bookies are obliged to bet all comers, a rule that has been in place for decades. After the latest regulatory ruling by the Northern Territory Government, online bookies licensed in the NT are not obliged to bet anyone.

This ruling came about after much lobbying of the Territory government by various successful gamblers fed up at the disgraceful way they were treated by these bookmakers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/punte...#ixzz2h3aUq41I

Lose Or Be Locked Out

If you gamble online, the odds are you are - sorry, there is no easy way to put this - a loser.

But the good thing is that someone still loves you very much - the bookies. And the odds are they are Poms.

The Poms are snapping up the corporate bookmakers. British juggernaut William Hill has splashed $700 million to bring Tom Waterhouse, Sportingbet and Centrebet into its stable of online betting brands while Sportsbet is owned by Paddy Power of Ireland.
    Advertisement

And no wonder the big boys have moved in. Thanks to ultra-low tax rates in the Northern Territory, the takings are huge.

According to figures last week from the NT Department of Business, turnover now surpasses $5.7 billion a year, on which the bookies leaked just $2.35 million in tax, a rate of 0.05 per cent. Profits were $469.2 million last year, shared among the 12 licensed bookies.

Not surprisingly, the department has finally conceded a review is on the cards.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/lose-...#ixzz2h3a9xxcD

shaunovery

Bloody aussies blame the poms for allsorts

First 123 Last