Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 396

NASCAR Racer Kyle Larsen Fired For Using Racial Slur

Chip Ganassi Racing has fired star NASCAR driver Kyle Larson after his use of a racial slur during a virtual race.

McDonald's and Credit One Bank ended their sponsorship of Larson on Monday, a day after he used the N-word during a live stream of a virtual race. The decision came hours after NASCAR and Chip Ganassi Racing suspended Larson indefinitely, his team doing so without pay.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14697

The good news is, Papa John's is hiring drivers

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

I don't know much about NASCAR but I know they love to lay it on thick. This is going to be vomit inducing when he comes back.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

but it ok for the black basketball,football players,rapper ect. to say anything about the President....man the times we are living in today.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26307

Aren't NASCAR racers racist by definition?

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Nascar should die already.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

In Larson's defense, it was not intended as a racial slur, the black guy he was talking to is his friend and, as has become almost vogue these days, he calls him the N-word almost all the time almost like a sign of affection. Not unlike when I jokingly greet my black friends with a "what up ma Ni***", it is not really that big a deal any more when the white guy and black guy are good friends. The mistake here was Larson not realizing he was streaming live, so the suspension was probably warranted. But going the extra mile and firing him is extremely harsh IMO, Ganassi is simply ignoring the context, treating him as if he used the term to a random black guy.

EDIT: I bolded the most important point in his defense

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14697

Cuddles can explain.....

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29042

Be back soon

Roger T. Bannon

This is a corporate thing. First off, there is not going to be any racing for a long while so they can just dump the guy. Second, this is a great chance to play the hero for companies and NASCAR. And then you rope-a-dope them by bringing him back and saying what a great guy he is and it was all just a misunderstanding anyway.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    Be back soon
    Not really, yesterday he was suspended by NASCAR, which is fine. Today he was fired by Ganassi, which I think is totally wrong, Chip should have stood by Larson for the reasons I game in Post #7. Seems more like a generational issue to me. there was no "hate" involved here whatsoever.

"

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

He will be at top team next season. Probably SHR

I was hoping for HMS but that's doubtful now

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15391

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Not really, yesterday he was suspended by NASCAR, which is fine. Today he was fired by Ganassi, which I think is totally wrong, Chip should have stood by Larson for the reasons I game in Post #7. Seems more like a generational issue to me. there was no "hate" involved here whatsoever.

"
    Hard to stand by a guy who lost every sponsor.

Roger T. Bannon

"
    It is going to save them a ton of money and makes NASCAR look good. He got sold out.

carolinakid

nascar is only a shell of what it once was and you could not pay me to watch today.stupid rules, no name drivers that nobody outside of nascar even know, cookie cutter tracks,and the main thing when they tried to take it to the next level it did not work.......

The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

He's great at what he does and that's why he'll be fine. One day in the future, he'll hold up a NASCAR championship trophy.

Roger T. Bannon

It probably would not be handled this way if it was the actual season. The guy was a total moron for trying to talk black as a white guy. It just ain't cool. Use your own white boy lingo. Unbelievable the guy losing out playing a video game.

But a corporation is going to run from the N-word as fast as they can, especially when it comes to NASCAR and he was probably dead regardless. Not sure he even gets signed next year. Definitely the following year. They may make him sit out a year but this one will probably do.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    He's great at what he does and that's why he'll be fine. One day in the future, he'll hold up a NASCAR championship trophy.
    General knows

carolinakid

I just check the nascar rule book, it said nothing about saying the n word while playing video games, but like what nascar does this rule will be change by next week at this time to make the race more equal LOL

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I just check the nascar rule book, it said nothing about saying the n word while playing video games, but like what nascar does this rule will be change by next week at this time to make the race more equal LOL
    When you work for corporations, you do what they tell you to do. NASCAR is not going to be upholding any social battlegrounds. They are all about the money just like any other league.

carolinakid

nascar is just so bad these days, with the boring races to the no name drivers it has and all the cars look the same....

The General

Spec cars and stage racing...ughhhh.

Roger T. Bannon

Maybe so. That is part of the reason they are dumping Larson. They need corporate sponsors and they aren't getting any with the N-word being used regardless of the context. Rich little white boys have to learn they are not going to be considered cool using black slang. Black slang is for blacks.

carolinakid

the only reason people watch the large tracks today, they want to see the big accident now with all the stupid rules to keep 20 or so cars on the lead lap late to keep fans in the seats.....

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    First off, there is not going to be any racing for a long while so they can just dump the guy.
    How you gonna get fired on your day off?

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    How you gonna get fired on your day off?
    Season was not over. When you sign up for a season for milions, they own you for the whole season. You don't get days off.

carolinakid

give me the good old days when the drivers was sleeping with each other wives and girlfriends and all the winston girls was screwing everyone at the parties before race day.....

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

So, is he the most hated Kyle in Nascar now, or nah?

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

In the year 2020, if you use the N word in any capacity and it is broadcast live, you are going to get crucified

Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, it is just a given today

Sponsors are dropping him for image and business reasons, not moral reasons

To expect anything different is insane

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

LT, when a word is offensive to you why would you use it. You don't see girls saying to each other. "Hey wazza up c*nt"
    They hate that word. It is discriminating by definition(unequal treatment) if one group can use it and the other can't.
    I really don't care but wonder what you think?

"

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

I turned on call of duty last night. Holy Lee shit ever word was this. Even from black people. Insane

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    LT, when a word is offensive to you why would you use it. You don't see girls saying to each other. "Hey wazza up c*nt"
    They hate that word. It is discriminating by definition(unequal treatment) if one group can use it and the other can't.
    I really don't care but wonder what you think?
    I am no expert when it comes to which discriminating/racist words suddenly become more "mainstream" and which do not (I agree that c*nt is still deplorable in any context), but I do know that the N-word has been often used in non-racist ways for many years. I even admit using the word myself and yet I have NEVER used it in a racist manner, only in jest when I know whoever I am talking to (i.e., black friends) will not be offended, so it is really not as big a deal to me as it seems to be with many others. And this is coming from an Italian-American with black kids.

carolinakid

what about this pic

The General

I think Larson won in the end.

carolinakid

sadly it dont go both ways today, the black can use any word there is to talk about the white people, let put the police at the top of the list and the white people have got to walk on egg shells