rob
    rob's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6701

Happy New Year!

Just wanna wish everyone here a happy, healthy and prosperous 2014!

I enjoy reading the posts here and feel that any questions that I post would be answered honestly by the regulars here.

I rarely post outside of this forum, but I did post a question the other day regarding the College Bowl 50K Showdown. The first couple of replies didn't make much sense to me and I just brushed them off. But then some other posters said that the first two were probably trying to give me bad info to get me dq'ed. I kinda felt like I was being treated like the country bumpkin on his first visit to the big city.

Also...I've never been big into New Year's resolutions, but I decided now is as good a time as any to quit smoking. I actually won't stop until tomorrow, since I figured a day filled with beer, food, football and betting wouldn't be a good first day without a cig. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's beat the habit and any tips they have to offer.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9237

I am 1 day into no smoking.

I think really wanting to stop is the key.

Quite a few years I stop for new year and don't smoke for January or even longer. But I never usually really want to quit.

Tend to get 4 or 5 weeks in and think "I dont feel any better without them" and "at least this shows I have no trouble giving them up when the time comes".

This year I've started developing COPD symptoms though. And reading what that is going to be like if I let it get any worse is very depressing.

So this NY I am in a funny place. I know I have to, I really want to save my lungs, I know I can't just take it up again in 4 or 5 weeks... and suddenly I am climbing the walls on my 2nd day.

Not really tips... but here's one.

Never let the assholes get us down ;-)

Happy new year to you too Rob.

rob
    rob's Avatar SBR PRO

Opti - nice to hear we're in this together. Wishing you the best!

This is the best time of the year for me to do this. When I tried to do it in the past, I always started again when I had a major story to write. For whatever reason, I smoke more when I'm writing. I don't have any major stories scheduled for the immediate future.
    Also, I always smoke outside, which isn't very enjoyable where I live this time of year. The wind chill was 20 below here this morning.
    I'm fortunate that I should be able to retire soon at an age younger than most. I have a lot of great plans for then, but I realize that it wouldn't really matter if I have health issues.

And thanks for the advice regarding the assholes...

Optional

When I was a sales rep on the road all day (in the 80s) I'd light a ciggie every single time I got into the car, or as soon as I exited. Even if i could only have a few puffs before entering wherever I was going.

Until someone pointed out what an ingrained habit it was I'd never even noticed. But once I did I saved about a pack per day simply buying gum to stick in my mouth at that time. And still smoked as much as I liked other times.

Kicking those 'habit time' ones is easier usually I think. It's the ones we have to 'feel better' that aren't so easy I think.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28998

Yeah I wouldn't mind To stop smoking either. Damn gambling doesn't help or it's an excuse. Lol. It's how I started too from sitting at poker machines awaits buddies that smoked in my early 20s plus the bar scene didn't help. I'm 36 now going on 37 in April so I want to stop soon. Was not a resolution though. Honestly I havent even tried to stop, not 1 time since I started.

Optional

Ugh... not sure this thread is good for us Rob.

Reading it makes me want to buy some right now.

rob
    rob's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Ugh... not sure this thread is good for us Rob.

Reading it makes me want to buy some right now.
    I hear ya. I'm good so far. But I think I've already gained 5 pounds.