rob
    rob's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6701

Tony Stewart

As some of you know, I cover auto racing for a local newspaper. Mostly local stuff, although I do cover a few NASCAR races each year and an occasional IndyCar race.
    Last Wednesday, Tony Stewart came to our local dirt track to race with the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series, something he does when he finds time. Of course this was a huge event which drew a sell-out crowd of about 12,000-15,000 fans.
    I knew that when Tony races dirt tracks, he never allows any interaction with the media. He considers this his "vacation".
    But I know the guy in charge of the PR for the two WoO teams that Tony owns and asked him if Tony might be available for a few minutes, anyway. To my surprise, I was the only one granted an exclusive interview due to their appreciation for the coverage I had given in the past to one of his WoO drivers. It was to be for 5-8 minutes immediately following the race.
    I was a bit apprehensive about the interview because Tony, surprisingly, led most of the race only to fall victim to a slower car with five laps to go. When I went to his hauler after the race, I asked his program manager if the interview was still on and she said she thought so. But she said Tony was really pissed and asked me to allow for a few minutes for him to calm down and collect his thoughts. She checked on him a couple of more times and eventually she said he was ready to talk to me.
    All I can say was that he was nothing but the best. I visited with him one-on-one in his hauler for what eventually lasted over half-an-hour. Due to an extremely late start, the races went really late and we talked until 2:30 a.m., while he was scheduled to practice at Daytona that day at 4 p.m.
    For anyone that's interested, here's the link to my story which recaps the race along with my interview of Tony.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...set-s-Speedway

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28986

well thats awsome rob...thanks for posting it buddy

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

I'd lick the sweat right off that man's face

but don't tell Mr. Nina that *winks*

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by BadNina View Post

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

LOL@Nina

Did you have to mention the slow guy who ruined the race was an Aussie Rob?!

"For the first time in its nearly 60-year existence, an event sold out. Unprecedented crowd estimates were well into the five-figure range, and track management reported that additional thousands were turned away."

Must make him feel good to be able to help small tracks do that. Did the same thing for my local dirt track when he was here last year.

rob
    rob's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BadNina View Post

I should've asked him if I could have the towel he used and I would've given it to you. Of course, I'd have to say "It's for someone else"...hopefully he would've believed me. If not, that probably would have been the end of the interview.
    Last edited by rob; 07-10-13 at 05:30 PM.

rob
    rob's Avatar SBR PRO

Did you have to mention the slow guy who ruined the race was an Aussie Rob?!

Sorry about that, Opti. He's really a good driver. Just having a tough night...
    There are lots of great Aussie sprint car drivers who come stateside to race in the summer, while a number of drivers from here go to Australia to race in the winter.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Yeah, its surprising how many Americans race over here around Xmas time too.