120 Jeremy Mayfield +6500
    121 Joe Nemechek +6500
    122 Bobby Labonte +6000
    123 Elliott Stadler +10000
    124 Clint Bowyer +8000
    125 Field +6500

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kevin Harvick +1248 might be worth a shot.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Kasey Kahne gets some help from mother nature. Wins in a shorten race due to rain.

Kahne wins fourth as downpour cuts Michigan short

Associated Press

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- With rain on the horizon and 37 cars between him and the lead, Kasey Kahne knew he had his work cut out Sunday at Michigan International Speedway.

"We knew we had a great car and we just started battling back," said Kahne, who fell behind on the 47th lap of the Nextel Cup race when debris on his radiator caused his engine to overheat and sent the youngster to the pits under the green flag.

That knocked the popular 26-year-old racer, the 2004 Cup rookie of the year, back to 38th in the 43-car field, a lap behind the leaders. But a caution for light rain just seven laps later allowed Kahne to regain the lead lap and it didn't take long for him to drive back into contention.

"We took two tires there once and passed some cars on pit road and then we were able to get past some cars on the track," said Kahne, who started his No. 9 Evernham Motorsports Dodge from the pole and got back to the front before a downpour cut the race short by 71 laps on the 2-mile oval.

Kahne, earning a series-best fourth victory of the season and his third from the top qualifying spot, said, "It's pretty crazy to win in the rain and be in the right place there at the end. But we did have the best car."

What impressed team owner Ray Evernham was the maturity Kahne displayed after being pushed to the rear by the overheating motor.

"He's definitely grown as a race driver," Evernham said. "He understands what he needs to do. He understands that these races are longer."

While Kahne was racing back into contention, Carl Edwards, who had two top-five finishes at Michigan last year in his first full season in Cup, moved to the front in his No. 99 Roush Racing Ford and appeared to be the car to beat.

On lap 112 of the race scheduled to go 200 laps, Kahne barely beat Edwards out of the pits in a battle for fourth place under a caution flag -- one of a track record-tying nine yellows.

That turned out to be the move of the race.

After the green flag waved on lap 116, Kahne, who had taken four fresh tires, quickly chased down rookie Reed Sorenson, who had taken the lead under the final caution by putting on only two tires. Kahne drove into the lead on lap 117.

Edwards got by Sorenson on the next lap and tried hard to chase down Kahne, but he was still nearly a full second -- about half the front straightaway behind -- when the rain brought out the final caution lap 124.

When the heavy rain began on lap 129, NASCAR stopped the cars with a red flag. Minutes later, the race was called.

Kahne -- who has five career wins, four from the pole -- was fast throughout the weekend, despite crashing during the final practice session Saturday. That forced his team to repair the right side of the Charger.

"There were a lot of good cars," Kahne said. "We fought our way back to the front. The guys rebuilt my car from yesterday and it was still great."

Edwards finished second, his best finish of the season, followed by Dale Earnhardt Jr., defending race winner Greg Biffle, Sorenson and series points leader Jimmie Johnson.

Bill Lester, the first black driver to race in the Cup series in 20 years, improved on his March debut at Atlanta, where he finished 38th, six laps behind Kahne, who also won from the pole that day. This time, Lester, with a little help from the spate of caution flags, stayed on the lead lap and finished 32nd.

With dark clouds rolling across the speedway and rain obviously on the way, several teams tried strategies to get their cars to the front.

Brian Vickers took the lead when he stayed on track while the rest of the leaders pitted on lap 81, but that proved to be too soon and Vickers wound up fading to 17th.

Edwards took the lead from Vickers on lap 88. By that time, Kahne had moved back into the top 10 and was chasing down the leaders. When what turned out to be the final pit stop began, Edwards was leading and Kahne had moved up to fourth.

"I guess Kasey beat us out by a foot," Edwards said of the final exit from the pits. "Congratulations to him. When I started to realize how pivotal that was going to be as far as the outcome of the race I said I'd really like to see that tape. They showed it and he definitely beat us."

Asked if he felt he would have won if the race had gone all 400 miles, Kahne said, "I know we would have challenged for it. I know Carl, Greg, the Hendrick cars were good. There were a few of them that were really good and we were one of them."

The race started nearly an hour late because of rain and was slowed three times by showers before it was finally stopped.

When the cars were able to race, though, the action was furious.

The most controversial moment of the race came on lap 22 when Jeff Green nudged reigning series champion Tony Stewart in the rear, sending Stewart hard into the wall and relegating him to a 41st-place finish. That cost Stewart one spot in the season points, knocking him from fourth into a tie for fifth with Earnhardt.

After an initial burst of anger, Stewart, nursing a broken right shoulder blade, said he was not hurt and shrugged off the bad result.

"Jeff was a little eager, probably," Stewart said. "That's just racing. It's no big deal."

Matt Kenseth, who collided with Lester in the pits and also spun out early in the race, saw his string of top 10 finishes at Michigan end at six. But the 2003 series champion came back to finish 13th and held onto second place in the standings, trailing Johnson by 74 points. Kahne moved from fifth to third in the standings, 244 points behind the leader and 31 ahead of Earnhardt and Stewart.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

roush racing owned michigan over the years.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    roush racing owned michigan over the years.
    Kahne pretty much got lucky. He was a lap down, and did some pit strategy, and got the positions back and was leading when the race was stopped.

Two Rouch cars finished in the top 5. Edwards 2nd, and Biffle 4th.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

the rain sure didn't help roush's chances of winning this race.