All the rage at this year' Masters is the changes made to the golfing national treasure known as Augusta National. The media has us believing the new configurations are worse than if someone added paint to the Mona Lisa. As Chairman Hootie Johnson reiterates, "We will keep the golf course current with the times."

In other words, we do not want to be embarrassed by Tiger Woods shooting 20 under par on our track. With the equipment of today and the style of play, almost any golf course in the world is at the mercy of the best players.

What has this got to do with handicapping the Masters? Plenty!

The new game of golf is called Flog, that's golf spelled backwards. It's been around for a year or so. Bomb it off the tee as far as possible with 460cc drivers and $800 graphite shafts, find it, and wedge it to the green. No need for the old faithful game of fairways and greens. Any course that is not lined with 4 to 7 inch rough is subject to Flog. In fact there less than 10 tournaments or host courses that feature a penalty for not hitting the fairway, Flog away.

Tiger said it himself, "with the new changes made to Augusta there are only five players that can now win."

I wonder who the five are? Vijah hits it pretty far, heck he has lengthened his driver to 47 inches. Mickelson has the latest Callaway gear and ball. Ernie Els pounded the tee ball at the Players Championship and is rounding into form for the first major of the year. The Goose would have won the Players if Stephen Ames had not shown up on time, and hits a nice draw.

I know, Tiger is talking about the Big Five. No kidding. And to be honest I don't see too many others that can challenge them.

The 2006 Masters is 520 yards longer than when Tiger first won the Masters in 1997. That's like adding a par 5 and making the course 19 holes!

The Masters track is now 7,445 yards long making it only the second longest course in major championship history. (Whistling Straights was longer) Tee boxes have been moved back and trees have been added.

The Masters has always favored length off the tee. A draw off the tee comes into play on seven holes. High soft approach shots and a sharp creative short game is the key. The reason short hitters off late have fared well like Chris DiMarco, Mike Weir and Len Mattice is because they had the putting week of their lives. I also believe that golfers who die their putts to the hole do better than being aggressive on the fast undulating greens.

Augusta will make the short hitters fight for pars more than they ever had. Less birdies and more scrambling for pars eliminate 3/4 of the field.