onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Tennis - Andre Agassi and Retirement?

I dont think he should risk his health to continue playing. I think he has accomplished enough in Tennis to go out satisfied, if he has to retire.

Agassi out of Nasdaq for first time in two decades

Associated Press

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Andre Agassi pulled out of the Nasdaq-100 Open on Friday because of chronic back trouble and will miss the tournament for the first time since his Key Biscayne debut in 1987.

Agassi, who turns 36 next month, said he hopes rest will help his back. But he acknowledged that he might be unable to play again.

"I really, really want to. I plan on it. I'm optimistic about it," said Agassi, who was the oldest man in the draw. "But I have to also call it like it is right now.

"Is it possible that I can't anymore? It's definitely possible. ... I'm hoping the decisions I make over the next several months will put my body in a better place."

Key Biscayne's only six-time champion, Agassi withdrew a few hours before his opening match against Christophe Rochus. Lucky loser Bjorn Phau replaced Agassi and was to play Rochus.

Agassi's back has bothered him for the past four years, and he already announced he would skip the entire clay-court season to improve his chances of playing at Wimbledon, where he last appeared in 2003. He said he won't play for the U.S. Davis Cup team against Chile on grass in California on April 7-9.

An eight-time Grand Slam champion, Agassi was runner-up to Roger Federer at the U.S. Open last September. But he has played only seven matches this year, including a loss to Tommy Haas at Indian Wells last week.

This year would have been Agassi's 20th in a row at Key Biscayne, which he won for the first time in 1990 and most recently in 2003. Wife Steffi Graf won the tournament five times, giving the family 11 titles.

"I love playing here -- a lot of memories, a lot of great matches," Agassi said. "This is disappointing. It would have been nice to be here, but it's not worth being less than my best."

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Andre's a joke nowadays. The shit he pulled with Goldstein in IW was horrific. I used to like him, but not anymore.

moses millsap

Overtime. Damnit, should've hedged free money when Nova -2.5 was +426 in live betting.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

he needed to retire a long time ago IMO

i know he loves to play tennis, but he's too old to play with those young wipper snappers.

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    he needed to retire a long time ago IMO

i know he loves to play tennis, but he's too old to play with those young wipper snappers.
    I hope he doesn't retire with the amount of love he gets from the bookies

The Great One
    The Great One's Avatar Become A Pro!

In never understoof that in tennis, 34 years old is over-the-hill, but in basketball it is not. Many in basketball don't consider retirement until somewhere around the age of 40.

Now, I say thr above after playing both sports competively for years. You average tennis match in a little over an hour best of the three sets. With numerous breaks after every point and after every 2 games. With the power of the game, there are not many rallys.

But in basketball, your always running and moving, posting up and getting around big bodines. There is never a time in a basketball game you are standing still. Agassi and Rusedski are the only guys I can think of that play on a regular basis being over the age of 30. I', 29 and I know I could go out and play the best out of 5 with anyone. I may lose, but not because of conditioning.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    I hope he doesn't retire with the amount of love he gets from the bookies
    well that goes without saying, but still the odds seem to be starting to level out somewhat too.

moses millsap

They still put him at +160 against Haas in Indian Wells. That was one of the very rare occassions I took a favorite. I had Haas -250 at least, closer to -300 against Andre.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Quote Originally Posted by OWNED
    They still put him at +160 against Haas in Indian Wells. That was one of the very rare occassions I took a favorite. I had Haas -250 at least, closer to -300 against Andre.
    I had $100.00 on Andre on that matchup. I figured the crowd would pull him through. I'm offering 10 to 1 odds that Andre doesn't win a single tournament this year. Minimum bet is $20.00
    I have had several inquiries whether or not I'm serious. I've sent PayPal requests to over a dozen people but none of them have accepted my request for payment. I guess none of these Agassi fans have any conviction in him that they're willing to losing $20.00

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The US Open will be his last tournament. Atleast he will have a chance to say goodbye to his fans.